PDA

View Full Version : RDSS-Ted Craven-Software +Bulletin Board!

Maxspa
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
All,
As my search for new ideas and software continues, I would like to share with you my thoughts regarding the above RDSS Software+Bulletin Board.
For those of you who followed the Sartin approach in the late 80's and early nineties, it'll be a homecoming of sorts. The late Jim Bradshaw and his contributions are discussed. Richie P., a Bradshaw protege, who has posted on PA's board, is keeping the Bradshaw handicapping ideas out in the forefront with his excellent explanations. Howard Sartin has posted a response to this courageous effort by Ted Craven,the Administrator. These are but a few of the interesting topics that I found on this web site.
Most important, in my mind, are the significant software contributions that include data readouts from many of the programs that were developed by the innovative people that were part of the Sartin crew. If you are interested in "Energy", "Velocity","Tandems", The "Match Up", paceline selection and numerous other ideas developed during the Sartin years, they are discussed in the member threads on the RDSS site. Certainly it is a trip back in time!!!
Many handicapping forums have software to offer but this site is unique in that Ted Craven has developed a video that will take you on a handicapping tour using the RDSS software. For those of you who are handicapping enthusiasts, I suggest you treat yourself to this pleasurable journey!
For Mr.Craven, this venture has to be a serious, time consuming work in progress. All we need to do is enjoy the fruits of the labor that he and his group of dedicated people have created!
This is strictly a sharing of handicapping information and in no way is it
a suggestion to use the software or join the group!
Maxspa

lsosa54
09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the description of our group, Max. Another item we're working on is establishing a library of manuals and audio tapes contributed by members which we will share as long as we don't see stuff end up on Ebay. I've been digitizing material for a few months now and have spent countless hours and there is some great material mainly from the 80's and early 90's. I hope to have this done in the next few weeks and it will be added to the material already in our library such as all the Sartin Follow Ups. Some of the audio is not in great shape but I'm trying to make it as listenable as possible.

If someone wants to take the journey and learn what the Sartin method was all about, they will have plenty of material. The neat thing is that a lot of the audio includes Brohamer and some of it, Jim Quinn and Mike Pizzolla. Mr. Schmidt is also very prevalent along with Doc and Jim Bradshaw.

Of course, Ted is carrying on the torch in terms of his RDSS software and Bill V. is the man that created the bulletin board and gave us our forum.

Maxspa
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
All,
Ever buy "Handicapping Software" and receive instructions on how to use the product? Generally the printed instructions are: 'How to install the software!" As far as using the data printouts that the software produces it is usually strictly up to the buyer to figure out how to utilize that information in a profitable manner. There are exceptions: Dave Schwartz uses videos and On Line Webinars, Michael Pizzola creates a monthly cd for his "Black Magic" customers etc.
How about Ted Craven's handicapping video that shows and explains the use of the RDSS software, step by step, as he handicaps a Woodbine race! This was done before the race was run. I DON'T USE RDSS but I was sure impressed with the video and particularly the use of the RDSS readouts.
Ted mentioned this was his method of handicapping the race but many other approaches were possible using the software.
With many handicappers on board looking for handicapping direction, I thought that this video might be a help in their quest for an excellent handicapping experience!
Here's one way to watch the video. www.paceand cap.com. Click on the Pace and Cap in the next window, click on RDSS, click on RDSS video.
Maxspa

rrbauer
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I had a chance to meet Ted at Saratoga last month. He took time to take me through several races step-by-step on his laptop using RDSS one morning after breakfast. It's a first-class product by a first-class guy who takes his responsibility to his customers very seriously.

Ted Craven
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks Max and Richard for your kind words! And thanks Lou for all your hard work on the Sartin Library! Richard, that day of racing we went over at the Spa produced some very fine winners, think Arrrrr and Proud Spell, among others. And you gave me a feebie for the first daily-double I would never have seen coming.

Just to clarify, Pace and Cap (www.PaceandCap.com/forums (http://www.PaceandCap.com/forums)) is intended to cover all aspects of the evolution of the Sartin Methodology, not just RDSS, though that is the latest software and the one Doc currently supports. Folks who use the older, but still sound Energy or Thoromation programs, plus the later Validator and Speculator programs post their picks and commentary regularly. Regular contests featuring wicked accurate handicappers. And of course, RichieP continues his teaching of Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw's Match Up approach, using software or plain ol' eye-ball, mind'e-eye and Racing Form.

For the record, I am not the Administrator at Pace and Cap (just a moderator): that would be Bill Varone (Binder) who has stick-handled that site into a wonderful online handicapping resource. Thanks to him for providing a home and friendly learning community for this work.

By the way: anyone who is using the older DOS Validator 2 or 3 programs should upgrade to the later Val4 version which corrects serious problems introduced by Equibase/TrackMaster data file changes in 2006 (write me, no charge, courtesy of Doc). Similarly, users of the DOS Speculator software should upgrade to the final Spec160 version. OR, simply move over to RDSS which encompases both those on Windows XP and Vista.

All the info you could want (and less) about RDSS at http://paceandcap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38 One day, I'll get my final Version 1.0 of that project launched. Meanwhile, anyone intersted in the current state of the Modern Sartin Methodology is welcomed to join in.

By the way: Doc Sartin will celebrate his 82nd Birthday this coming Friday October 3. I hope to talk to him and wish him well!

Ted

Tom Barrister
09-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Good to hear Howard is still alive and hopefully well (I know he's had health problems in the past) at 82. Even though I've had some issues with Howard in the past, I don't wish ill health or suffering on anybody. I've been there myself.

What data files will RDSS be able to use?

Ted Craven
09-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Tom,

RDSS uses a customized data file from TrackMaster, and that's really the only data provider I have any plans to use. Since RDSS is a follow-on from the old DOS Validator and Speculator, it started life using the same DTV and ITV model created by TrackMaster/Equibase, so that's pretty deeply embedded. One up-side of going (continuing) with them was the range of a-la-carte through unlimited data packages they offered, which provided a low barrier to entry.

Ted

Lewis Fichera
03-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I read your note about the update to Val 4. I have Val 3c and would like to know to get the updated version. Also, I obtained SPEC NP from Guy who sent me this version by mistake, unfortunately I was not able to obtain the latest version before Guy past away. I am responding to this note and would like to see these latest versions before considering or moving to your program. How do I go about contacting you directly to obtain these?

Lewis Fichera

Ted Craven
03-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Lewis,

Check your Private Messages.

Cheers,

Ted