PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Derby

JimG
03-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately the Derby was marred by the death of Midway Cat yesterday as he fractured a leg at the far turn. Interestingly, I keyed Midway Cat yesterday so I watched him the whole race. Coming out of the gate he bumped with the horse next to him and looked very awkward 2 steps out of the gate. I remember thinking at the time, hope he did not hurt himself. I haven't read anyone else mention this, but I did see it and can't help but wonder if that contributed to his injury.

On a lighter note, Empire Builder looked really impressive and may be the real deal. I do wish Bailey was not the rider as I am hoping to see one of the other good riders get the Derby this year. (ie. Prado, Velasquez) As easily as he ran, he might have won with my 260 lbs on his back.

At this point he deserves to be a pre-Derby favorite, however, as we all know, there could be some horse we are not thinking about yet that could win the run for the roses.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Not ready to give up on Trust N Luck just yet...but Empire Maker sure did look imposing down the stretch....

Derek2U
03-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Jim ... yeah i saw that at the break. #3 Midway Cat slammed
#4 Indy Dancer. Man I just get so sad when I see any horse
break down. Its probably the only real downside to our game.