PDA

View Full Version : for the KY boys-which bourbon?

1st time lasix
09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
headed for Lexington next month....want to drink the best local spirit while crying about my bad beats after playing Keeneland. What is the best KY bourbon for a usual beer/wine/vodka drinker to try? On the rocks or what? :faint:

KyNick
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Woodford Reserve or Blanton's on the rocks with a splash of water.

BillW
09-24-2008, 11:07 AM
If you're a beer drinker, try the Bourbon Barrel Ale. :ThmbUp:

Stevie Belmont
09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I busted out a bottle of Makers Mark one year for mint juleps...Not really a whiskey drinker, but it was a lot smoother then JD.

Bobzilla
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not a Kentucky boy but that's not to say I'm without a favorite - and that would be Blanton's based in Frankfort. It has a very nice flavor.

alhattab
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Someone got me a Small Batch Bourbon Collection as a gift. It's like a showcase in a wooden box. It has Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek and Basil Hayden's. I guess they are all distilled by Beam. I've tried Knob Creek (that has been my choice for awhile) and Booker's. I prefer the Knob Creek- stronger flavor and nice, dirt-like scent. On the rocks.

JustRalph
09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
If you're a beer drinker, try the Bourbon Barrel Ale. :ThmbUp:

This is a treat..............! If you are looking for something a little different, you can't beat it.

BIG RED
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Do they deliver?

Not from there 1st time, but I usually get weird looks up here when I grab Jimmy Beam...

open_question
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
hands down, Woodford Reserve :cool:

witchdoctor
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
My wife is a Kentucky girl and her family breaks out the Maker's Mark for special occasions.

Hajck Hillstrom
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Woodford Reserve... neat... water back. :cool: When you order it this way, it shows your discerning taste. You are not polluting the whiskey with anything. If you choose to "irrigate" or "season" the small batch bourbon with a little water from your back, you will do so to your liking... not as one of the 80% of non-professional bartenders deems fit. (put your finger on one end of a straw in your water back and control the amount of water you decide to put in your bourbon without making a mess of pouring it.)

.... and that comes from a Maker's Mark ambassador. :D

ddog
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
headed for Lexington next month....want to drink the best local spirit while crying about my bad beats after playing Keeneland. What is the best KY bourbon for a usual beer/wine/vodka drinker to try? On the rocks or what? :faint:

after a good or bad day at the track , who cares!

Do em all.

I side with HH on this one in a pinch though.

alhattab
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Woodford Reserve... neat... water back. :cool: When you order it this way, it shows your discerning taste. You are not polluting the whiskey with anything. If you choose to "irrigate" or "season" the small batch bourbon with a little water from your back, you will do so to your liking... not as one of the 80% of non-professional bartenders deems fit. (put your finger on one end of a straw in your water back and control the amount of water you decide to put in your bourbon without making a mess of pouring it.)

.... and that comes from a Maker's Mark ambassador. :D

Sorry I'm unsophisticated. Do you serve it chilled or room temp? either? I get the water back bit. thanks

SmartyJ
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I have always enjoyed Makers the most, but you can't go wrong with Woodford or Knob either.

startngate
09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
My favorites, in order:

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve ... find it while you are there, it's so worth it.
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve
Booker's
Maker's Mark

But I'm mainly a Vodka drinker:

Zyr
Imperia
Xo
Stoli Elite
Pravda

sandpit
09-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Great suggestions...I'll add Four Roses small batch.

Room temperature or on the rock in a double glass....deliciously smooth:cool:

Show Me the Wire
09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I will add my vote for Maker's Mark.

cnollfan
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I have always liked Old Grand Dad (the 100 proof, not the 86 proof which is inferior) but have become a recent fan of Woodford Reserve. Neat, i.e. room temperature with no ice, and a water chaser.

NJ Stinks
09-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm no expert but I like Woodford Reserve and really enjoyed their tour! :cool: