PDA

View Full Version : Market Crisis hit the horse business

joelouis
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
MARKET CRISIS HITS THE HORSE BUSINESS

By Ray Paulick (ray@paulickreport.com)

While Congress begins deliberations on the proposed economic bailout package that could cost taxpayers as much as $1 trillion, Thoroughbred owners and breeders are beginning to feel the effects of the turbulence on Wall Street and other world markets.

The financial markets meltdown came smack dab in the middle of the industry’s most important transactional event: the Keeneland September yearling sale. The sale began with a lowered price ceiling during opening select sessions that saw some resilience in the middle market, but, as many consignors feared, the bottom fell out after the first week. Most yearlings going through the ring in the latter part of the Keeneland sale will reflect economic losses to their owners once stud fees, mare investment and boarding costs are taken into consideration.

But those losses are minor compared to what’s happened on Wall Street, which traditionally has created much of the wealth that’s found its way into the yearling market. “If anyone is dependent on new money in the horse business, I don’t think this is going to be a very good time for them,” one business analyst told the Paulick Report.

Read the rest at this link:

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/market-crisis-hits-the-horse-business/

lamboguy
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
i know how bad it was, i took my horses out of the sale instead of paying money to ship them and pay for the reserve. i will run them in the summer or sell them privately as i train them

onefast99
09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
i know how bad it was, i took my horses out of the sale instead of paying money to ship them and pay for the reserve. i will run them in the summer or sell them privately as i train them
We felt it bigtime also but like everything else it will come back with time.

rrbauer
09-23-2008, 08:44 PM
:sleeping:

Shenanigans
09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
We felt it bigtime also but like everything else it will come back with time.

Don't hold your breath..........

onefast99
09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Don't hold your breath..........
With paulsons plan most of the wallstreet big shots will golden parachute out of this mess. The monies they receive may very well get put into the horse business.

Shenanigans
09-25-2008, 09:35 AM
With paulsons plan most of the wallstreet big shots will golden parachute out of this mess. The monies they receive may very well get put into the horse business.

Again, don't hold your breath. Hell, the prince of Dubai didn't sink as much money as he usually does in the horses this year. This sale had a huge number of RNA's for a reason. The last day of the sale there were 138+ OUTS - a record - because the owners knew they weren't going to get what they wanted.

onefast99
09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Once monies are available to those who need to take cashout from their homes or other real estate holdings to invest in horses eventually it will trickle down into the horse industry. Timeframe? No one knows, but rest assured it will happen.