PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Play racing lame

Ray2000
09-23-2008, 06:13 AM
If Shadow Play had fallen and had to be euthanized, it would have been a dark day for harness racing and PETA would be all over it. IMO Dr. Ian Moore should have scratched him from the 2nd heat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3596661

harcapper
09-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Ray,

This is one instance where I must disagree with you. A wall seperation can be painful but it is highly unlikely to cause a horse to go down. The truth about horse racing in general is that there are very few (if any) sound horses racing today given the speeds that they must go to compete. If you can find me a perfectly sound horse, I will immediately be able to point one out who likely can't run fast enought to hurt himself (same horse).

Had the horse scored down lame and then raced and ran up the track, that would be wrong. I too many times have seen horses both warm up and score down lame and go on to race. Good for me when I spot it and it's a 3-5 shot I can eliminate, but it's a trainer like that who should have his toe nails ripped out with pliers and be made to run a mile afterwards.

I watched Shadow Play score down in both heats and there was no indication that he was hurting or sore until after the race. I am hopeful that SP will be relatively sound for his race against SBSW. I think those two on their game will make for a great race.

Har