PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book...

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2008, 01:43 AM
.. to read!

I have finally caught up on my reading material and have nothing left to read. I seem to be experiencing some kind of withdrawal here.

So, please, get creative with your suggestions.

Requirements:

1. Should be something that could help with horse racing, investing or decision making.

2. Should not be so filled with math symbols that only a PhD could read it.

Gentlemen (and ladies), please start your opinions.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

barn32
09-23-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm sure you've already read, "Fooled by Randomness," and "The Black Swan."

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Yes... did not really get much out of either of those.

Black Swan was a little better.

Moral of the 1st one was "Don't blow up." A good idea.

barn32
09-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Yes... did not really get much out of either of those.

Black Swan was a little better.

Moral of the 1st one was "Don't blow up." A good idea.Yes, but very relevant to what's happening in today's financial markets don't you think?

jfdinneen
09-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Dave,

You might consider "Watching Racehorses" by Geoffrey Hutson, a researcher in animal behavior at the University of Melbourne, whose goal was to use his expertise to pick winners only to discover his knowledge was better suited to eliminating losers...

John

GameTheory
09-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Have you read this one?

More Than You Know (http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-You-Know-Unconventional/dp/0231143729/)

Great book, and a great idea generator.

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Barn,

Yes, "not blowing up" is a valuable lesson - just not worht an entire book. Kind of like fuzzy logic. Kosko could have told that story in one chapter.

JF,

Horse flesh doesn't usually interest me because it is impossible to apply. Is this something applicable to a guy that plays 100 races per day and never looks at an animal?

GT,

I may take a shot at this one.

Thanks guys. Please keep the ideas coming.

Dave

witchdoctor
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
If you have not read it, take a look at Moneyball. :ThmbUp:

http://www.amazon.com/Moneyball-Art-Winning-Unfair-Game/dp/0393324818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222184704&sr=1-1

JimG
09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Dave,

I agree Moneyball is a good one. As I recall you like baseball and statistics (ie. Strat, etc.)

You also might enjoy Horseplayers: Life at the Track by Ted McClelland. It is light reading but I found it enjoyable and could relate some of it to my old experiences at the track.

Jim

Dan Montilion
09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/WHACK-SIDE-HEAD-More-Creative/dp/0446674559/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

shoelessjoe
09-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Besides the ones you have probably alreadty read Jim Lehane's Calibration Handicapping and Randy Giles Extreme Pace Handicapping.How about Fast and Fit Horses by Bob Heyburn or Professional Method of Winners Selection by Larry Voegele.Both were written awhile back but still contain some good info on handicapping.

RaceBookJoe
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Good reads :
horses racing/gambling : " Full Time Gambler" by Lou Holloway
"Handicapping to Win" by Scott Flohr
both are dated, but good books

investing : "How To Make Money In Stocks" by William O'Neill
Any of Jim Cramer's recent books

decision making : "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
one of the best books ever written

thought-provoking: "The Book of Revelations"

You might have read all of these, but these came first to mind. rbj

Jake
09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader by Martin Schwartz

Great read! You won't be disappointed.

098poi
09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Dave, Me am not a big reader but I do have a book I think you'd enjoy. (You probably have all my handicapping books) It's called "One of a Kind", and it's the story of Stuey Ungar one of the greatest poker and gin players ever. The guy was apparently a genius with cards but drugs and the like were his downfall. I was not familiar with him before I read this but I would highly recommend it.

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Besides the ones you have probably alreadty read Jim Lehane's Calibration Handicapping and Randy Giles Extreme Pace Handicapping.How about Fast and Fit Horses by Bob Heyburn or Professional Method of Winners Selection by Larry Voegele.Both were written awhile back but still contain some good info on handicapping.

Yep. Done read all dem.

horses racing/gambling : " Full Time Gambler" by Lou Holloway
"Handicapping to Win" by Scott Flohr
both are dated, but good books

investing : "How To Make Money In Stocks" by William O'Neill
Any of Jim Cramer's recent books

decision making : "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
one of the best books ever written

thought-provoking: "The Book of Revelations"

The first two are a possibility. I will ook for them. The others I have read.

Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader by Martin Schwartz

Oh, I like the sound of that. Just finished Trend Following, which was a good read.

Uenger's book sounds good.

Okay. Here is what I have ordered thus far:

A WHACK ON THE SIDE OF THE HEAD: How You Can Be More Creative
I mean, really. How can you resist such a title?

AI for Game Developers and Programming Believable Characters For Computer Games
My kind of stuff.

This will keep me going for a few days.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
And I added the Pit Bull book.

Stu Uenger is next.

RaceBookJoe
09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
And I added the Pit Bull book.

Stu Uenger is next.

Yes, Pitbull is good and so are the Alexander Elder books for stocks/trading. If you are into alternative health stuff, dont laugh by Suzanne Somers new book "Breakthrough" is a decent read. So are the Natural Cures books...I am not recommending them for health diagnosis per se, but eye opening, especially the story of how saccharin (sp) got FDA approval....might be able to find that story on the net.
Havent read the book yet, but listened to the author in an interview but if you like government conspiracy type stuff......" Rise of the Fourth Reich" by Jim Marrs looks interesting. Lot of very strange things/books at outtheretv.com , you can look around there but they have a paid area and I am not promoting them and not a member either....they have a tv show here in vegas that comes on msot sundays and thurs and I have watched it a couple of times. rbj

maxwell
09-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Speaking of eye-openers, try reading: "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and, "Talk Talk".

'Dilemma' is a non-fictional book that tells us where our food comes from. Hard to look at a row of corn the same way after reading this gem.

Talk Talk is a novel about identity theft. It shows you what can happen to anyone who is a hapless victim.

Very good reads. :)

Tom
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Can't put this one down.....a real page turner.

maxwell
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Tom,

Now, that's MY kinda girl! :)

cnollfan
09-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Can't put this one down.....a real page turner.

Amazon (no pun intended) wants $72 for it, minimum!

ldiatone
09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
any of dick francis books
http://www.dickfrancis.com/

Niko
09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Highly recommend Way of The Turtle by Curtis Faith. You won't be disappointed.

Jake
09-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Highly recommend Way of The Turtle by Curtis Faith. You won't be disappointed.

I liked this, too. Read it with the Covel book.

Dr Win
09-26-2008, 02:07 AM
:ThmbUp: Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

by Richards J. Heuer, Jr.

thaskalos
09-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi Dave,

I am going to recommend two books to you that are not only very interesting but also expertly written:

1.) FAST COMPANY - How six master gamblers defy the odds, by Jon Bradshaw. "I guess I should have known better. I was expecting to be only modestly entertained by FAST COMPANY...But I should have known better...Bradshaw is an astute student of successful gambling. So instead of merely entertaining you with a series of amusing anecdotes, he draws you into the action of his seven chapters as cagily as a seven-card stud player dealing from a stacked deck." - The New York Times.

2.) THE TRADERS, by Sonny Kleinfield. "To gather the inside knowledge necessary to write this book, Klienfield spent months with individual traders on the floors of five of the nation's major financial exchanges. These independent investors trade only for themselves, risking only and sometimes all of their own often considerable assets, as they buy and sell stocks, commodities, futures and options. He tells us who these traders are and what attracts them to their extraordinary profession, where most people age quickly and many give up or go under - but where a few realize wealth beyond anything they could otherwise earn or even imagine." - From the cover.

Tom
09-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Get yourself a dictionary.....ALL the other books are in it.