PDA

View Full Version : Innovative SH-5 Wager Approved for Churchill

rrbauer
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Carryover from Track A's SH-5 pool goes into Track B's SH-5 pool the following day. I guess this is innovative but how does it help/reward the players at Track A by taking away the money that carried over from their bets? Well, of course it doesn't. What it does do is force Track-A's players to start playing Track B if they want to chase their money. Then if it carries at Track-B, I guess it rolls back to Track-A the following day.

And since the CDI tracks involved aren't available via ADW the bet has very limited exposure. Check out the takeout being assessed at Calder and tell me that this is a "good" bet. Calder players get "free" money from Churchill pool that came from 19% takeout pool.

Typical racetrack manuever. Do nothing to improve the product. But, add a new wager that will distract horseplayers' focus from the product quality and give them a different way to contribute their money.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/47184.htm

Imriledup
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
The only problem with this is that there would be no way to know what's going on. Are CD and CRC prepared to have flashing lights advertising what's happening?

If no one hits the bet at CD and monies carry to CRC the next day, now is the information you need going to be updated? ADW providers such as youbet or xpressbet never have 'updates' on their site on late breaking information....so, you won't find the info you need to make a decision the night before.

Then, how are you going to find out if there's a carryover at CRC? I guess you can always check out the CRC website, but if you are not familiar with CRC it might take you forever to find the info as to what you are looking for.

Also, another bad thing is it forces people who want to chase to bet into a 27% takeout....to my knowledge, no one bets into that kind of takeout who expects to be a long run winning bettor. That's kind of beat if you ask me.

trying2win
09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Does the Churchill Downs group think all horse players are stupid? That is, after I read the part about if a SUPER HIGH 5 bet is carried over at CHURCHILL DOWNS, after a 19 % takeout....then the same gimmick is carried over the next day into the CALDER pool at a 27 % takeout rate. Anyone going to send an email to tell the executives at CHURCHILL DOWNS and/or CALDER what they think of this proposed gimmick? :D

My advice to bettors regarding this ridiculous proposed exotic wager...FUHGETTABOUTIT! :ThmbDown:

T2W

rrbauer
09-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I guess if you played it at one track then you would be interested enough in the results to know if it was hit; or, carried over to the other track. But otherwise, as Imriledup points out, without some publicity you would not know where the carry-over pool was at (which track) and how much it was.

It would be nice if there was some explanation of the logic/intent that went into the development of this bet.

Cangamble
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I guess if you played it at one track then you would be interested enough in the results to know if it was hit; or, carried over to the other track. But otherwise, as Imriledup points out, without some publicity you would not know where the carry-over pool was at (which track) and how much it was.

It would be nice if there was some explanation of the logic/intent that went into the development of this bet.
Bait and switch sort of. They get your money at a 19% venue and then hope you'll chase it against a much high track takeout at Calder.

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2008, 08:47 PM
The innovative part would be to have a SH-5 on every race on the card (tough to do these days with short fields), and have a carryover from RACE to RACE....

Why wait for the next day when you can carryover to the next race!

Imriledup
09-23-2008, 03:19 AM
I've had trouble with Arlington Pentas......sometimes they have 2 in a day and if one carries to the next day, i'm not sure if its the last race or a middle race. I've found myself calling AP and asking around.....even then i don't trust the info i'm getting. The person who answers the phone usually doesn't know jack, so i get transferred around to a few people before someone can tell me when the Penta CO is. I'm not sure this CD to CRC experiment is going to be any different.

ddog
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
should be illegal to carry the funds over to another tracks pools.

can't see playing them anyway.

played AP all year and never had a thought to play this pool.

when do you reach the point of all the different types of wagers actually hurting the game?

can that even happen?

:ThmbDown:

Cangamble
09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
The innovative part would be to have a SH-5 on every race on the card (tough to do these days with short fields), and have a carryover from RACE to RACE....

Why wait for the next day when you can carryover to the next race!
I'd rather see supers pay for the first, second, third, and fifth horse. I'd be a rich man.

sandpit
09-24-2008, 07:24 PM
The only chance this thing has of succeeding in the bettor's eyes is if they get some monster carryovers...with the CRC takeout, it's a homerun for CDI no matter what happens. Increasing your take from 19 to 27%, about a 50% raise, by just moving the money from one pool to another is at the same time genius and theivery.

I predict this silly thing will go the way of their other recently introduced "innovative" wagers like the roulette, odd/even and whatever other hare-brained things their execs dreamt up.

rrbauer
09-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I'd rather see supers pay for the first, second, third, and fifth horse. I'd be a rich man.

Ditto to paying 1st/3rd on exactas.