PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Poll............ Race is a factor

JustRalph
09-22-2008, 04:29 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/09/21/OHIOPOLL21.ART_ART_09-21-08_A1_HDBCHUM.html?sid=101

Just a sample from the article:

In the battle for Ohio's 20 electoral votes, Republican presidential nominee John McCain holds a 48-42 percent lead over Democratic opponent Barack Obama, according to the first Ohio Newspaper Poll.

And nearly half of Ohio voters say they are worse off today than four years ago, according to the poll, commissioned by the state's eight largest daily newspapers.

The poll, which also surveyed Ohio voters on health care, energy and the environment, was conducted Sept. 12-16, before significant developments in the U.S. financial crisis that could have a dramatic impact on the presidential campaign. Its margin of error -- plus or minus 3.3 percentage points -- suggests the race could swing either way.

The Institute for Policy Research at the University of Cincinnati conducted the poll, whose findings are in line with other recent polls.

"Even though it seems like this presidential race has gone on for an eternity, in many ways, especially in Ohio, it's just getting started," said Eric Rademacher, interim co-director of the institute.

"When you bring the margin of error into consideration, it's certainly a very close race in the state."

Andrew Kaminski, 54, of Stow, near Akron, said abortion is a key issue for him.

"I can't support Democrats because their platform is not pro-life in any way, shape or form," Kaminski said. "As a Republican, McCain is not the party-line kind of guy. Obama is campaigning on change but everything he's talking about is the same old Democratic ideals they've had forever."

McCain's position on social and moral issues strikes a chord with Deborah McGee, 60, of South Point, near Kentucky and West Virginia.

"He is not for same-sex marriage, he is not for abortion. And for me that's two important things," McGee said, adding that her husband is a Vietnam veteran, like McCain, so "maybe it's a sentimental factor also."

Obama has said he does not support same-sex marriage but supports civil unions. He supports abortion rights.

Several Obama supporters interviewed by the Ohio Newspaper Poll predicted that the Illinois senator's race will be an impossible obstacle for many voters. Obama had a black father and a white mother.

"The color of Obama's skin -- he will not carry this area," said William Nesselrode, 64, of Stockport in southeastern Ohio. In his community, people put their Obama signs in a field, rather than their yards, apparently out of fear of being affiliated with him, he said.

Obama supporter Elizabeth Snyder, 37, of Greenfield in southern Ohio also was pessimistic about Obama's chances.

"There's a lot of prejudiced people out there. I'm not one of them. If it's not a reporter asking the question, they'll say it's because of his color."

HUSKER55
09-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Why would anyone argue race when the facts will cover the issue nicely?

That article is based on the opinion of a person whose choice is on the losing end of the stick and nothing more.

ddog
09-22-2008, 07:51 AM
sorry , but thanks for trying,,,

race is THE factor.

He will not win.

race is THE factor.

put any amount of lipstick on it you wish, still a darkie.

in the states osama would need to carry , it is the factor.

not much difference in a curtain and a sheet.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
sorry , but thanks for trying,,,

race is THE factor.

He will not win.

race is THE factor.

put any amount of lipstick on it you wish, still a darkie.

in the states osama would need to carry , it is the factor.

not much difference in a curtain and a sheet.

Does this mean, then, that if the McCain ticket loses it was because Palin was on it and we should attribute the loss to sexism?

Boxcar

Tom
09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Or age discrimination?

boxcar
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Or both the above? :lol:

Boxcar

wonatthewire1
09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
but the econ is taking a beating in Ohio - 7.4% unemployment rate (article claims 445,000 out of work in OH)

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/17515956/detail.html

Show Me the Wire
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Of course race is a factor. The black vote will turn out in the 90+ percentile and vote 90+% for Obama.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Of course race is a factor. The black vote will turn out in the 90+ percentile and vote 90+% for Obama.

Does this mean, then, that all those black voters who vote for NoBam are racists? They secretly harbor anti-white hatred? :eek:

Boxcar

ddog
09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Does this mean, then, that if the McCain ticket loses it was because Palin was on it and we should attribute the loss to sexism?

Boxcar

lost again i see.

Rookies
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Does this mean, then, that all those black voters who vote for NoBam are racists? They secretly harbor anti-white hatred?

Let's see now.

-Blacks have always voted for the black candidate in US Presidential elections, which occurred when exactly ?

-Or more importantly, they started voting without repercussion or fear of their lives, just when ? Ahhh... about 200 YEARS into the Republic.

And now, with their first opportunity to vote for a black man, they comprise just how much of the population ? And what percentage is of white descent ?

Even President Imbecile, who obviously has as much command of the American economy as he does of engaging in wars, can do THAT simple math !

Of course racism is a serious factor, due to those weighty disproportions. When somewhere between 1/10 and 1/5 still won't vote for a person due to their colour, America has a very long way to go.

Only the deluded deny it.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Let's see now.

-Blacks have always voted for the black candidate in US Presidential elections, which occurred when exactly ?

-Or more importantly, they started voting without repercussion or fear of their lives, just when ? Ahhh... about 200 YEARS into the Republic.

And now, with their first opportunity to vote for a black man, they comprise just how much of the population ? And what percentage is of white descent ?

Even President Imbecile, who obviously has as much command of the American economy as he does of engaging in wars, can do THAT simple math !

Of course racism is a serious factor, due to those weighty disproportions. When somewhere between 1/10 and 1/5 still won't vote for a person due to their colour, America has a very long way to go.

Only the deluded deny it.

Let's see whose delusional. You talk only about percentages of who won't vote for someone because of color. What about the percentages who will vote only for someone of their color only because of their color?

You can't have it both ways. You can't tell us that most whites will only vote a candidate because his/her is color is identical to theirs, and then call whites racists -- but at the same time deny that racism exists when blacks will vote for a candidate only because of his/her color, and then rationalize away the racist motives behind those votes with a history lesson.

Anyone who votes for or against anyone else solely on the basis of skin color, sex, age, religion, etc, is practicing discrimination, sir. In fact, such people have no more depth to them than does a rain puddle. (After all, skin color is only skin deep, isn't it?) Put that in your little hash pipe and puff on it for a while.

Boxcar

Steve 'StatMan'
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Remember, most conservatives and Republicans would not have voted for the Democratic candidate, regardless of who or what race or gender or age they were. Also, most liberals and Democrats would not have voted for the Republican candidate, also regardless of who or what whare or gender or age they were.

So who does Obama mainly have to fear not attracting that he hoped to attract? Independents who have not made up their mind, and fellow democrats.

riskman
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Where is the poll questions "Is Barack Obama a Christian or a Muslim?
"Was Barack Obama sworn into the U.S.Senate on the Koran or Bible.
"Is Barack Obama the Antichrist?"
"Is Barack Obama black enough to be black?

On and on it goes, where it stops nobody knows.

Then we have abortion, same sex marriage, sex education,race and prejudice, crime and punishment, medical ethics and human rights, etc(moral issues)

It appears the above is more important than below.

Has everyone forgot about illegal immigration, border security,outsourcing,tax reform, bank regulation, corporate governance, financial aid to students, social security reform,welfare reform, nuclear non proliferation treaty, economic sanctions against despot regimes, universal health care, Iraq War withdrawel, stem cell, public campaign financing. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

THIS RACE IS A JOKE!

Rookies
09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
You can't tell us that most whites will only vote a candidate because his/her is color is identical to theirs, and then call whites racists -- but at the same time deny that racism exists when blacks will vote for a candidate only because of his/her color, and then rationalize away the racist motives behind those votes with a history lesson.

Anyone who votes for or against anyone else solely on the basis of skin color, sex, age, religion, etc, is practicing discrimination, sir. In fact, such people have no more depth to them than does a rain puddle. (After all, skin color is only skin deep, isn't it?)
Boxcar

Of course, I didn't say that MOST whites will vote for a candidate identical to their own skin colour. I did say that a small, but significant proportion apparently still will. And yes, no group should vote for candidates solely on race, but again, let me illustrate the point in the following way:

Wikopedia
Total population: 299 million
White (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American)

Including 23.2 White Hispanics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic): 74% or 221.3 million
Not including White Hispanics: 66% or 198.1 million

Hispanic or Latino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans) of any race: 14.8% or about 44.3 million.[23] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#cite_note-22)
Black or African American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American) alone: 13.4% or 40.9 million
The white demographic makeup, due to its significant statistical advantage can easily offset a one time vote by most of the black population.

And don't attribute anything to me, btw.
You don't know my history,
you don't know my politics,
you don't know my beliefs.
You don't know me.

Stick to the topic... sir.

bigmack
09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
The white demographic makeup, due to its significant statistical advantage can easily offset a one time vote by most of the black population.
In your wisdom, or in wikipedia, could you let us know the % of blacks & whites that are voting based on race? Otherwise, your numbers mean nothing.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Of course, I didn't say that MOST whites will vote for a candidate identical to their own skin colour. I did say that a small, but significant proportion apparently still will.

No, sir, you never said this. If you're going to try to cover your tracks by lying, best you check out your own posts first (e.g. see your post #11), otherwise your credibility will eventually become worthless.

And yes, no group should vote for candidates solely on race, but again, let me illustrate the point in the following way: (emphasis mine)

Ahh...as Laura Ingraham would basically say: We have a BUT monkey in our midsts. (Most BUT monkeys are notorious liars, as we'll shortly see.)

13.4% or 40.9 million

And these stats prove what exactly? That because Whites outnumber Blacks by a big margin, this means Whites are racists just on the basis of numbers? If so, we Whites should be taking up the Victimhood Banner; for we've been victimized by Numbers!

And don't attribute anything to me, btw.
You don't know my history,
you don't know my politics,
you don't know my beliefs.
You don't know me.

I'll tell you what I do know, though: You have a really tough time sticking to the facts -- to the truth.

And what exactly did I attribute to you in my post #12?

Stick to the topic... sir.

And I would suggest you stick to the truth (if it be possible; for I certainly wouldn't want to put you out). Two lies in one post, though, is damaging to your image.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Anybody who quotes Laura loses credibility immediately.:ThmbDown:

Blacks historically vote around 90% for the Democrat. Doesn't matter what color the Dem nominee is.

Critics around the country say NJ and the northeast is full of snobs. I guess by snob you mean that we don't vote based on religious (moral) issues or guns. We actually vote on issues like the economy, foreign policy, and health care.

Shame on us I guess. :bang:

bigmack
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Critics around the country say NJ and the northeast is full of snobs. I guess by snob you mean that we don't vote based on religious (moral) issues or guns. We actually vote on issues like the economy, foreign policy, and health care.
Who are these critics and how did you get snob to mean voting on religion or guns?

Odd the way some minds work. :bang:

Rookies
09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
There were no lies- only your attempts at distortion and falsehood.

I said this, as you already know, if you've read it:
"Of course racism is a serious factor, due to those weighty disproportions. When somewhere between 1/10 and 1/5 still won't vote for a person due to their colour, America has a very long way to go. "

Got it ?

Translation apparently needed. 1 in 10 down to 1 in 5 white Americans believes (via polls) that they won't vote for a person because of their skin colour. Because the two racial groups (black and white) are not even close to equal, even that lower statistical subgroup of acknowledged racists can sway this election. So again... stop twisting what I said to prove your own point of view. I never said a majority of whites were racist.

I didn't start this thread, just commented.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
There were no lies- only your attempts at distortion and falsehood.

"Of course racism is a serious factor, due to those weighty disproportions. When somewhere between 1/10 and 1/5 still won't vote for a person due to their colour, America has a very long way to go. "

Got it ?

And do you get this: What proportions of blacks are voting for NoBam solely because he's black (although according to some Blacks not black enough, but this would be a discussion for another time.) Or solely because they want to see history made?

Translation apparently needed. 1 in 10 down to 1 in 5 white Americans believes (via polls) that they won't vote for a person because of their skin colour.

And whoever took this poll, did they remember to also poll Blacks? Would love to see those numbers. I betcha that the proportion of votes only for blacks by blacks would be considerably higher than the votes for only whites by whites. If your alleged white poll is correct -- even on the high side, i.e. 1 in 5 (or 20% racists for those readers who live in the hinterlands :rolleyes: ) would pale in comparison to an identical poll conducted with Blacks only.

Because the two racial groups (black and white) are not even close to equal, even that lower statistical subgroup of acknowledged racists can sway this election.

Yeah, I've got news fer ya: Lots of different things can sway elections. Different things are important to different people. Some are simple-minded and are only one issue-oriented. Others are more sophisticated and weigh multiple issues. Or as one contributor astutely observed, some people vote with the blinders on, seeing only their party name -- the party they've "always voted for".

So again... stop twisting what I said to prove your own point of view. I never said a majority of whites were racist.

So what exactly was your point, again? Did you mean to lament the fact that there aren't more Blacks in this country to offset the White advantage? That life is just so unfair?

I didn't start this thread, just commented.

Ditto.

Boxcar

JustRalph
09-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Blacks historically vote around 90% for the Democrat. Doesn't matter what color the Dem nominee is.

You don't think the "critics" who aren't in the Northeast don't vote based on the Economy Foreign policy and health care huh? Once again you show your ignorance. Your Critics vote on the same issues you do. they just see them differently than you do. Why is that so hard to understand?

You just think you are better and smarter than the rest of the country.

Tom
09-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Got it ?

What is your source for this? I don't buy it at all.

Rookies
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
There's this one Tom - http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-obama-race

But, I've heard others with that specific % breakdown or stronger on my local (conservative) talk radio station (WBEN) months ago.

NJ Stinks
09-22-2008, 11:48 PM
You don't think the "critics" who aren't in the Northeast don't vote based on the Economy Foreign policy and health care huh? Once again you show your ignorance. Your Critics vote on the same issues you do. they just see them differently than you do. Why is that so hard to understand?

You just think you are better and smarter than the rest of the country.

Did you read the article in the first post? Ohioans said they are are voting on issues like abortion, gays, color, etc.

boxcar
09-22-2008, 11:59 PM
There's this one Tom - http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-obama-race

But, I've heard others with that specific % breakdown or stronger on my local (conservative) talk radio station (WBEN) months ago.

Perhaps if Mr. NoBam projected a more positive image of himself and America, people wouldn't associate those negative terms (in that web article) with him, e.g. "irresponsible, complaining", etc.) . In other words, he hasn't done a very good job of selling himself to Americans. For example, he's a friend of that black whacko (whose name escapes me now) who set off a bomb. He sat under a whacko black, militant, angry preacher for 20 years. He contradicts himself left and right. The number of his gaffes during his campaign rival all of Bush's for these last 8 years. He's done a great job at stereotyping and insulting large segments of the American population, etc., etc. It's no wonder at all that he's alienated himself from so many within his own party. I think many in this country view Obama as I do: An Affirmative Action Poster Boy. Nothing more. Nothing less.

In fact, this article talks about the "trust" factor, and rightfully so. You know why? Because many Americans are sick and tired of listening to the incessant complaints of the race hustlers. We're sick and tired of hearing about how terrible Blacks have it in this country. We're fed up with hearing about victimization. We know Blacks were treated badly in the past. We're disgusted about hearing what an evil country America is, and how we're the cause of this world's ills. We understand it. We have it already. Enough is enough! But now it's time to move forward and put the past behind us. God only knows there are enough laws on the books to protect against discrimination. What most Americans can readily relate to and understand are the courageous and self-reliant people who struggle on in face of life's adversities. We can relate to non-whiners! Why? Because most people with their heads screwed on straight realize that not everyone in life is dealt the same hand. Life isn't fair -- on many levels!

And thanks for providing this article because of this informative paragraph:

On the other side of the racial question, the Illinois Democrat is drawing almost unanimous support from blacks, the poll shows, though that probably wouldn't be enough to counter the negative effect of some whites' views.

Did I nail this accurately or what in my last post to you? Since he's capturing virtually all Black votes, does this translate into black racism -- anti-white sentiment? Or just pro-black because this guy could make history?
In other words, are Blacks, generally, voting skin color!? Are their votes primarily grounded in race? If so, what does this make them?

Boxcar

rastajenk
09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
"Well, I tell you what, it helps in Ohio that we've got Democrats in charge of the machines," Barack Obama said on Sept. 3.

Who cares about racism when you can have electoral corruption determining the results?

JustRalph
09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Who cares about racism when you can have electoral corruption determining the results?

oh, another fan of allowing NY and California to choose the Prez every 4 years huh?

HUSKER55
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I was watching a black radio talk show host talk the other daywhile waiting for my doctor, and according to him the things that blacks want are the conservative agenda of the Republican party. He refered to school choice programs, education programs, and work related programs.

I forget the guys name. (sorry) His opinion is that a black man can run for the office of president is a strong sign of an emerging nation and he also thinks the black vote is split.

Did anybody here see that program and have an opinion?

As far a white racist go have you ever noticed that the bulk of his supporters are white. Sure looks like it on tv.

husker55

Show Me the Wire
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I was watching a black radio talk show host talk the other daywhile waiting for my doctor, and according to him the things that blacks want are the conservative agenda of the Republican party. He refered to school choice programs, education programs, and work related programs.

I forget the guys name. (sorry) His opinion is that a black man can run for the office of president is a strong sign of an emerging nation and he also thinks the black vote is split.

Did anybody here see that program and have an opinion?

As far a white racist go have you ever noticed that the bulk of his supporters are white. Sure looks like it on tv.

husker55

Stage craft explains the bulkiness of whiteness. Did not see the program, so I have no opinion about it.

Pell Mell
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM

NJ Stinks, a very apt name. How can you take the stance that you do when you have to live under someone like Corazine who bought the governors office. And how about all the other crooked politicians in NJ? How many have gone to jail recently? And speaking of blacks, what happened to Newark and Camden after they took over? And where are they now, in jail? Don't tell me about the idiots in NJ because I lived there for 70 yrs. NJ, the POLICE STATE, where the only difference between the police and the Gestapo is that the Gestapo had nicer uniforms. Your brain is addled from living with all that toxic waste coming out of Trenton.:faint:

HUSKER55
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
if stage craft is succeeding at proving whites are voting for Obama then the message they want to achieve is being accomplished.

If that is the case then Obama can't use racism as a fault. It would be biting the hand that feeds them,..wouldn't it?

Or is this another one of his mistakes

husker55