PDA

View Full Version : Palin Article: National Enquirer

NJ Stinks
09-22-2008, 02:32 AM
It's not slanted like the NY Post:ThmbDown: but it is another news source.

Remember when conservatives out there were bitching that the national media was ignoring the story about John Edwards having an affair? I do.

I wonder how long the national media will ignore this National Enquirer front cover (below) dated 9-22-2008?
__________________________________________________ __

"Sarah Palin
What
She's
Hiding

*THE AFFAIR - her secret confession
* Son's drug addiction
- needles, pills,
& cocaine
*Pregnant daughter
banished from house"

I assume Sarah will be announcing a lawsuit against the National Enquirer any day now. Don't you? :confused:

__________________________________________________ ________

The article below is from The First Post, a UK independent daily online news magazine website:

Media dilemma over Enquirer’s ‘Sarah Palin affair’ allegation

The American media has been quick to caricature John McCain's running mate Sarah Palin as a gun-toting, anti-abortionist, creationist redneck, and pounced on the news that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter Bristol was pregnant. But how will the US media big guns handle the latest, more serious allegation - that Sarah Palin had an affair with her husband's business partner? The situation is particularly delicate since the allegation has been made by the notorious supermarket tabloid, the National Enquirer.

Senior McCain adviser Steve Schmidt said yesterday, "The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Governor Palin had an extramarital affair are categorically false. It is a vicious lie... The American people will reject it."

Two months ago, he might have been able to make that assumption with confidence. He might also have been able to count on the mainstream media treating the National Enquirer with its habitual disdain. That was what happened when the Enquirer reported that the former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards had had an affair with a videographer, Rielle Hunter. Newspapers and TV channels ignored the story, happy to concur that the tabloid report was fabricated nonsense.

But the Enquirer kept pushing, eventually running Edwards to ground with his former mistress in a hotel rendezvous in Los Angeles. Edwards was forced to admit an extramarital affair and was disinvited from the recent Demoratic convention.

The main argument against the Enquirer's tactics down the years has been its use of unnamed, paid sources. But it was exactly these methods that led to the Edwards scoop. With John McCain's team issuing threats of legal action over the Palin affair allegation, the rest of the US media now face a conundrum: do they follow up a potential scandal and risk a lawsuit, or ignore a possibly explosive story 'broken' by a publication that has recently gained credibility?

The Enquirer, for its part, appears to be enjoying trying on its newly purchased cloak of respectability. In response to Schmidt's denials, the tabloid said: "Following our John Edwards exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process. Despite the McCain camp's attempts to control press coverage they find unfavorable, the Enquirer will continue to pursue news on both sides of the political spectrum."

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/uselection,,media-dilemma-over-national-enquirers-sarah-palin-affair-allegation,43304

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2008, 03:00 AM
The Enquirer has been more on the "up and up" for many many years now (compared to most of the other supermarket tabs). This isn't some new thing....

With that said, they freakin' cornered Edwards in a hotel room. I doubt they're going to get the same kind of proof in this instance, how about you?

So, with that out of the way, what proof do they have?

JustRalph
09-22-2008, 03:21 AM
this has been on-going in the Enquirer for a few weeks now. they have been pretty much ignored because they don't really have anything.

this was mentioned in another thread already

HUSKER55
09-22-2008, 05:44 AM
The National Enquirer has been sued and lost more times than it can count. NObody would ever trust anything they have to say. Carol Bennet sued and won and if memory seres didn't Michael Landons family sue and win????

Anytime a journalist says that they have to protect their sources means they are lieing more than usual.

Until they produce sources and proof they are blowing smoke and as crooked a they are I still wouldn't put it past them to dress someone up to look like Sarah just to make a story.

ArlJim78
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
this story is nothing, that is why it hasn't been picked up. its baseless rumour and innuendo from unamed sources. but that has been known for several weeks now.

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
The National Enquirer has been sued and lost more times than it can count. NObody would ever trust anything they have to say. Carol Bennet sued and won and if memory seres didn't Michael Landons family sue and win????The Enquirer has changed since then...probably because of these lawsuits. They've gone much more "legit" in the last decade or so....

NJ Stinks
09-22-2008, 08:19 PM
If I had known this was discussed previously, I would not have started this thread, PaceAdvantage. (I guess I was the last to hear about this.)

As far as I'm concerned, you can the delete this thread.