PDA

View Full Version : new key race

Harvhorse
09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Since I work the charts on a daily basis (NYRA only) I will post key races from time to time. 8/16/10th race f turf a1x miss challange/came back today to win a restricted stk on t. the 2nd place filly meriwether jessica won a stksb on t, the 7th place filly was 2nd today . It was a field of 10 about 11 lengths seperated the field and there were some bad trips. Pay attention to fillys coming out of this race

lamboguy
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
i don't mind a 1x turf race at ny as a key race. but i woudl have a problem with a maiden turf race being a key race. another thing, i understand doing new york, but i made alot of money following what i considered a key race @ churchill the one flying pegasus won, everything came back to win out of that race. and the horses that won coming out had next out winners out of their races.

the little guy
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Since I work the charts on a daily basis (NYRA only) I will post key races from time to time. 8/16/10th race f turf a1x miss challange/came back today to win a restricted stk on t. the 2nd place filly meriwether jessica won a stksb on t, the 7th place filly was 2nd today . It was a field of 10 about 11 lengths seperated the field and there were some bad trips. Pay attention to fillys coming out of this race

Here's what really happened...

The second place finisher, Merriweather Jessica, came back to run 2nd in a NY Bred race and was placed first via DQ.

The 3rd place finisher, Choosing, came back in a NW1X to run 9th, beaten 26 lengths, at 7:2.

The 4th place finisher, Higher Incentive, came back twice and ran 4th at 5:2 and 5th at 4:1.

The 5th place finisher, Platinumplus, came back to run 8th, beaten 16 lengths.

The 7th place finisher, Forest Trail, was second today. She was also 7:5 in your supposed key race when she was completely blocked in the stretch.

The 8th place finisher, Goo Goo Eyes, came back to run 4th beaten 5 lengths.

I can hardly wait for the 6th, 9th and 10th finishers to run.

lamboguy
09-22-2008, 03:38 AM
i was just pointing out that when you are dealing with entry level turf allowance races, alot of times the horses can't beat other horses on dirt, so they try turf. often those horses aren't that good to begin with.

santanajimi
09-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Here's what really happened...

The second place finisher, Merriweather Jessica, came back to run 2nd in a NY Bred race and was placed first via DQ.

The 3rd place finisher, Choosing, came back in a NW1X to run 9th, beaten 26 lengths, at 7:2.

The 4th place finisher, Higher Incentive, came back twice and ran 4th at 5:2 and 5th at 4:1.

The 5th place finisher, Platinumplus, came back to run 8th, beaten 16 lengths.

The 7th place finisher, Forest Trail, was second today. She was also 7:5 in your supposed key race when she was completely blocked in the stretch.

The 8th place finisher, Goo Goo Eyes, came back to run 4th beaten 5 lengths.

I can hardly wait for the 6th, 9th and 10th finishers to run.

Who were the 6th 9th and 10th place finishers? :rolleyes:

fiveouttasix
09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
The 9th place finisher(Palace Secret) races today at Kentucky Downs in race 6. Looks like a good play...2nd off the layoff and working well for this race, also ran 2nd at this track last year. I will play win and 6-7 exacta box.

the little guy
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
The 9th place finisher(Palace Secret) races today at Kentucky Downs in race 6. Looks like a good play...2nd off the layoff and working well for this race, also ran 2nd at this track last year. I will play win and 6-7 exacta box.

So, should this 9:5 shot beat this weak field at KY Downs, will it erase the horrid subsequent performances by the other members of this supposed " key race? "

Honestly, if anything, the race in question is a negative key race.

Harvhorse
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
That was fast check this out

Race Watch: (sar)-(2008-08-16)-(10)
Your Notes: kr f t a1x miss challenge/1st t stk-r 2nd merriwether jessica 1st t stksb, 7 forest trail 2nd t stk-r watch all;

Palace Secret (# 7, 4/1) finished 1st at Kentucky Downs on Monday, September 22nd, 2008 in Race 6.

6th Race - Kentucky Downs - Monday, September 22nd, 2008

Conditions: 1M Turf. FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON A RACE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING OR STARTER OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES. Three Year Olds, 118 lbs.; Older, 122 lbs. Non-winners Of $20,000 At A Mile Or Over Since July 22 Allowed 2 lbs. $15,000 At A Mile Or Over Since June 22 Allowed 4 lbs. (Races where entered for $40,000 or less not considered in allowances) (Preference to horses that have not started for less than $30,000 in last 5 starts).
Value of Race: $27,000 1st $16,200 2nd $5,400 3rd $2,700 4th $1,350 5th $540 6th $270 7th $270 8th $270 Mutuel Pool: $59,299

#HorseA/SM/EWgtPPSt1/41/23/4StrFinJockeyOdds7Palace Secret3 FL b116788 71/2411211 1/2Lanerie Corey J.2.70005Itsawonderfullife (IRE)4 FLA 118575152712121/2Leparoux Julien R.2.30001Park At Dark5 MLA 1181543 1/2425hd4133 3/4Hernandez, Jr. Brian Joseph*1.90003Bouzy4 FLA 11836738 6hd31/241Castanon Jesus Lopez19.80002Pure Purl3 F1162221 1/22111/261/251 1/2Mojica Orlando 29.80004Dynawind4 FLA 11341636hd8 8 61 1/2Wade Lyndie 15.70008Jane's Baby4 FLA f118831111/22hd5hd73/4McKee John 11.70006Affair to Remember3 FLA b118643 3 3 7 8 Borel Calvin H.11.0000Off Time: 4: Start: 8 went. Good for all but 3,7 . Track: Firm Weather: T-Firm 86oFractions: 2:5., 4:7., 1:12, 1:37 2:5., 4:7., 1:12, 1:37 (2:5.5800, 4:7.3500, 1:12.3500, 1:37.6700)

#HorseWinPlaceShow7Palace Secret7.404.202.805Itsawonderfullife (IRE)3.002.801Park At Dark2.60Pedigree: 7 - Palace Secret, Chestnut Chestnut, 3, by Stravinsky - Kathy K D by Saint Ballado

Wager TypePayoff Winning NumbersPool$1 Pick 3$50.80 7-8-7 (3 Correct) $8,537$2 Daily Double$23.20 8-7 $3,730$1 Exacta$11.80 7-5 $49,792$1 Superfecta$210.80 7-5-1-3 $23,603$1 Trifecta$25.50 7-5-1 $42,561

Race SummaryPALACE SECRET hesitated at the start to get away well behind her field, was allowed to settle into stride, advanced three wide from between horses through the turn, forged command entering the stretch, opened clear and maintained a safe advantage. ITSAWONDERFULLIFE (IRE) settled under a snug hold off of the inside, launched her bid three wide from between horses entering the stretch, was unable to reach the winner then was all out to hold the place. PARK AT DARK attended the pace removed from the rail, angled in entering the stretch, finished willingly and was along for the show. BOUZY broke a step slow and was unhurried, made a long drive circling five wide, offered a mild bid with a furlong to run but failed to sustain the drive. PURE PURL prompted the pace along the inside, forged a brief lead entering the stretch, but weakened from between horses and gave way. DYNAWIND settled saving ground, made a belated gain but was never a factor. JANE'S BABY set the pressured pace two wide, but faltered from between horses leaving the turn and faded. AFFAIR TO REMEMBER tracked the leaders three wide, ranged up to engage the leaders entering the stretch but came up empty and dropped out.

Owners: 7 - G. Watts Humphrey, Jr.; 5 - Fab Oak Stable and Lakin, Lewis G.; 1 - Cobra Farm, Inc.; 3 - Stone Farm; 2 - Lumley, Carl, Anderson, Mary Beth and Byars, Susan; 4 - Howard, Catherine and Glenn C.; 8 - Donald G. McClinton; 6 - Judy K. ClemmensTrainers: 7 - George R. Arnold, II; 5 - Robert E. Holthus; 1 - Jeffrey D. Thornbury; 3 - David P. Banks; 2 - Frank L. Brothers; 4 - S. Joe Cain; 8 - Walter M. Bindner, Jr.; 6 - Helen PittsBreeders: 7 - G. Watts Humphrey Jr. (KY); 5 - Lynn Lodge Stud (IRE); 1 - Cobra Farm (KY); 3 - Arthur B. Hancock III (KY); 2 - Douglas Byars DVM (KY); 4 - Glenn C. Howard (KY); 8 - Hopewell Investments LLC (KY); 6 - Nelson Clemmens (KY);

santanajimi
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Nice work.....too bad i got home from work too late....i would have called some guy that bets huge money, and alerted him to this.

andicap
09-23-2008, 04:17 AM

i'm glad you weren't put off by TLG's snarkiness. Congrats.

BTW, I don't mind when someone else critiques another person's post for their handicapping validity but why the attitude? Harvhorse was trying to help out and for his efforts TLG gave him nothing but sarcasm and scorn.
You can disagree with someone in a respectful way and still get your point across.

No wonder more people don't want to contribute here. TLG is a "celebrity" and who wants to receive nothing but scorn for their efforts?

Well, I would urge people to ignore such rudeness and follow Harvhorse's example.

garyoz
09-23-2008, 09:17 AM

BTW, I don't mind when someone else critiques another person's post for their handicapping validity but why the attitude? Harvhorse was trying to help out and for his efforts TLG gave him nothing but sarcasm and scorn.
You can disagree with someone in a respectful way and still get your point across.

No wonder more people don't want to contribute here. TLG is a "celebrity" and who wants to receive nothing but scorn for their efforts?

Well, I would urge people to ignore such rudeness and follow Harvhorse's example.

All he did was bring evidence to bear on an assertion of a "key race." Can't handle the truth?

Personally I think the concept of key races is wrongheaded--and confuses correlation with causation. But how are we supposed to disagree?--this board isn't a tea party with rules of polite and formal social interaction--sharp disagreements lead to improved critical thinking--the marketplace of ideas.

the little guy
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM

This is an unfortunate post....but not unexpected.

I pointed out the truth about the misinformation the original poster gave.....but I'm the bad guy?

You know what, that's cool, because ultimately more people were helped by my post than were hurt by the original one. And, as an added bonus, I got to enjoy your post.

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2008, 06:02 PM
No wonder more people don't want to contribute here.Is this a fair characterization? How did you arrive at this conclusion? (Not saying you're necessarily wrong....)

onefast99
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Is this a fair characterization? How did you arrive at this conclusion? (Not saying you're necessarily wrong....)
TLG can be harsh and that may be his style but rarely does anyone shy away from such behavior, in fact it gets people to add to the threads more often then not. And his information is spot on.

Show Me the Wire
09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Give the TLG a break. His posting dissuaded enough people to turn a 9/5 horse into a 4 to 1 horse. Harvhorse is happy.

the little guy
09-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Give the TLG a break. His posting dissuaded enough people to turn a 9/5 horse into a 4 to 1 horse. Harvhorse is happy.

The horse paid $7.40.....I know because I made a substantial wager on it.

For those of you concerned, I was not injured when I plowed into a deer on the NY Thruway a few hours ago. I am sad, however, to report that the deer did not make it.

Thankfully for all, I will still be around to point out at least some future inaccurate information.

098poi
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow! Glad to hear you're O.K.. That's the good news. The bad news like you said is the deer, and I imagine your car.

fiveouttasix
09-23-2008, 06:48 PM
TLG... Glad you are OK, so your the one who crushed my price! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
For those of you concerned, I was not injured when I plowed into a deer on the NY Thruway a few hours ago. I am sad, however, to report that the deer did not make it.Holy shit! Thankfully you came out on the good end of that deal!

cj
09-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Damn, I bet the deer.

Show Me the Wire
09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Happy to hear you did not experience any physical injuries and that you cashed. I must have misinterpreted Havhorse's post showing the winning number with 4/1 next to it. I'm bad,

LottaKash
09-23-2008, 07:03 PM

For those of you concerned, I was not injured when I plowed into a deer on the NY Thruway a few hours ago. I am sad, however, to report that the deer did not make it.

Thankfully for all, I will still be around to point out at least some future inaccurate information.

A true Horseplayer, folks, did you notice that he reported the win-mutuel First, and then the dreaded accident.?....:jump:

best,

the little guy
09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Damn, I bet the deer.

If you bet him against the car it may be a dead heat ( sorry ).

Thanks everyone. All things considered, I was extremely lucky. Two passengers, nobody got hurt ( other than the unfortunate deer ), and there's even a good chance my car will be fixable.

It could have been a helluva lot worse.

cj
09-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I am glad to hear everyone is ok, unless of course the passenger was DrugS.

asH
09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Santa's gonna be pissed...glad everyone is ok, tonight give thanks...what are you going to do with all that meat?

takeout
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Did TLG pull a "Geary"? Just checking. :confused:

George Sands
09-23-2008, 07:43 PM

How much did you bet?

The Hawk
09-23-2008, 08:03 PM

In a nutshell, this is the way to succeed at handicapping: come up with information that others don't have, or don't interpret correctly. And then, perhaps most importantly, stand by your convictions.

cj
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
In a nutshell, this is the way to succeed at handicapping: come up with information that others don't have, or don't interpret correctly. And then, perhaps most importantly, stand by your convictions.

The guy landed on a 5 to 2 winner. Does this honestly mean he interpreted the "key race" correctly? The field yesterday was so bad a horse that ran 9th last out went off at 5 to 2.

We all have different opinions and that is what makes this game great. While some may not have like TLG's tone, however one can arrive at that via text, he certainly presented a far different and reasonable approach to the race.

I'd much rather play in a pool populated by the original poster than one where the little guy resides.

the little guy
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
The " tone " thing is funny.

Here's how I see it......while everyone is entitled to their " opinions, " in this case a very poorly researched " opinion " was actually given. Because the original poster saw a horse winning out of a race he suddenly declared the race a key race. He further backed this up with the incorrect piece of information that Merriweather Jessica also won out of the race. Now, I certainly could have just allowed this incorrect information to remain unrefuted, however I chose not to, as is the right of every member here, and as has been pointed out in this thread by others, this is how a good argument, or discussion ensues. I further backed up my argument with further proof that the given race has produced one poor performance after another. What is interesting is that not a single detractor of mine in this thread has argued with any of my evidence. Their argument was that they didn't like my supposed tone. And furthermore, some have applauded the original poster for somehow " stucking to his guns " yet wouldn't his position have been strengthened if he had chosen to engage me with his own reasons why he felt the proof that I offered wasn't important?

I would love to hear from any poster who disagrees with my actual comments regarding the race in question. So far I have heard none.

BombsAway Bob
09-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's how I see it......while everyone is entitled to their " opinions, " in this case a very poorly researched " opinion " was actually given. Because the original poster saw a horse winning out of a race he suddenly declared the race a key race. He further backed this up with the incorrect piece of information that Merriweather Jessica also won out of the race. Now, I certainly could have just allowed this incorrect information to remain unrefuted, however I chose not to, as is the right of every member here, and as has been pointed out in this thread by others, this is how a good argument, or discussion ensues. I further backed up my argument with further proof that the given race has produced one poor performance after another. What is interesting is that not a single detractor of mine in this thread has argued with any of my evidence. Their argument was that they didn't like my supposed tone. And furthermore, some have applauded the original poster for somehow " stucking to his guns " yet wouldn't his position have been strengthened if he had chosen to engage me with his own reasons why he felt the proof that I offered wasn't important?
I would love to hear from any poster who disagrees with my actual comments regarding the race in question. So far I have heard none.
"......(( (( ...crickets chirping... )) ))......"

The Hawk
09-24-2008, 08:56 AM
The guy landed on a 5 to 2 winner. Does this honestly mean he interpreted the "key race" correctly? The field yesterday was so bad a horse that ran 9th last out went off at 5 to 2.

We all have different opinions and that is what makes this game great. While some may not have like TLG's tone, however one can arrive at that via text, he certainly presented a far different and reasonable approach to the race.

I'd much rather play in a pool populated by the original poster than one where the little guy resides.

I don't have any problems with TLG's tone, and the 5/2 shot he came up with is below any kind of acceptable odds level, but the fact is the guy liked the horse, and wasn't talked off it by someone who quite forcefully tried to make him feel like he didn't know what he was talking about.

I don't know the original poster's level of play but the lessons for horseplayers here are A) do your own homework, come up with unique ideas, but also be thorough. They may not all pan out, but learn and improve everyday, and B) stick to your convictions. Don't confuse someone with a strong opinion with someone with a good opinion. In the end, I've found it's best not to listen to 99% of other horseplayers.

TLG: I'm glad you weren't hurt, or worse.

bettheoverlay
09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
this is how a good argument, or discussion ensues. I further backed up my argument

I much prefer discussion to argument, but, hey, it's an election year.

Indulto
10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm over a week late to this thread because I just now stumbled across it looking up someone else's previous post.

My first reaction is that the deer must have been on a suicide mission orchestrated by PETA. ;)

My second reaction was that I was destined to read the following post:Originally Posted by andicap

Well, I would urge people to ignore such rudeness and follow Harvhorse's example.This is an unfortunate post....but not unexpected.

I pointed out the truth about the misinformation the original poster gave.....but I'm the bad guy?

You know what, that's cool, because ultimately more people were helped by my post than were hurt by the original one. And, as an added bonus, I got to enjoy your post.http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky
snarky
A witty mannerism, personality, or behavior that is a combination of sarcasm and cynicism. Usually accepted as a complimentary term. Snark is sometimes mistaken for a snotty or arrogant attitude.
... Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse. Origin: Snark="snide remark". ...Well, I remembered the irony from the following post, but was it blunt?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=555669#post555669 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=555669#post555669)
... But I know Ray Paulick is a Class Act and would not use his forum to settle grievances. You may disagree with his sentiments of course, but that's the nature of the beast. I'm not saying I agree with all of his columns/opinions, I'm just saying I'm glad there's an independent voice out there on the side of the fan who has credibility in the industry and great sources.

Unlike say Paul Moran, who as TLG pointed out, rarely left the press box. ...:lol: :lol: :lol:

toetoe
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey, if "fewer people" post here, that'll be their loss, won't it ? I defy you to name a better site, OK ? :p

As to tlg, a modicum of snark is a fair price to pay for his observations. Think of him as a plunger's consumer advocate.

The "celebrity" thing says piles more about the poster than about the subject.
:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

toetoe
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
AS,

Glad you made it. A couple of things:

The poor deer is being posthumously maligned. Folks are saying he spent his final moments as a "Sarah Palin in the headlights." Unfair, I say --- UNFAIR ! :D

You have been DQ'd, given days, and ordered to the ... um ... urine barn, okay ?

Glad you're extant to read this drivel. :blush: Oh, and kudos (sing. mind you) for the post.

the little guy
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
AS,

Glad you made it. A couple of things:

The poor deer is being posthumously maligned. Folks are saying he spent his final moments as a "Sarah Palin in the headlights." Unfair, I say --- UNFAIR ! :D

You have been DQ'd, given days, and ordered to the ... um ... urine barn, okay ?

Glad you're extant to read this drivel. :blush: Oh, and kudos (sing. mind you) for the post.

The deer got the last laugh as today my car was deemed a " total loss " by the insurance company.

I told them I knew a thing or two about a " total loss. "

Ron
10-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm surprised you even own a car.

cj's dad
10-03-2008, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=the little guy]The horse paid $7.40.....I know because I made a substantial wager on it.
QUOTE]

Would this be considered redboarding?????

rokitman
10-03-2008, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=the little guy]The horse paid $7.40.....I know because I made a substantial wager on it.
QUOTE]

Would this be considered redboarding?????

It certainly would if 46 posted it. And he also would have received an broad array of attacks and insults if he posted anything remotely like the latest condescending critique that proceeded it.

Stop the pandering, PA. It's gotten embarrassing.

the little guy
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm surprised you even own a car.

I don't.......anymore.

Ron
10-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't.......anymore.

I'm glad everyone is ok. Keep up the good work! I should put smileys after my posts but thats not your style. :)

Light
10-03-2008, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=cj's dad]

It certainly would if 46 posted it. And he also would have received an broad array of attacks and insults if he posted anything remotely like the latest condescending critique that proceeded it.

Stop the pandering, PA. It's gotten embarrassing.

46 has been banned.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2008, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=rokitman]

46 has been banned.Long time coming...

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2008, 11:27 PM

Stop the pandering, PA. It's gotten embarrassing.One of the more clueless posts of the day....

toetoe
10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
L & G, we have a late equipment change. TLG races flivver off.

No blame implied, but my sources claim Andy was AB-so-LUTE-ly FLOY-ing.

Rokitman, let's both try to post more cluefully. ;)

sally
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
46 got banned??? I must have missed something...I actually thought he brought some interesting views to the board--a bit argumentative sometimes maybe, but no more than others... :confused:

toetoe
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
1) 46zilzal was banned ? Why, that's ... AMAZIN.'

2) So snark is a portmanteau. Hmm, I did not know that. Gee, that's some wild, wacky stoff. (:Pencil tapping.)

George Sands
10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
46 got banned??? I must have missed something...I actually thought he brought some interesting views to the board--a bit argumentative sometimes maybe, but no more than others... :confused:

I agree. Why was he banned?

toetoe
10-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Let's see ...

Derek/D2U/Plan B/who-EVER;

46zilzal ... the GREAT 46zilzal;

Amazin;'

Help me out, fellas. Throw me a frik'n BONE.

Oh,yeah --- philzfan.

falconridge
10-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Though of course I can only speculate as to PA’s motives for banning 46zilzal, I can offer what I consider to be strong grounds for the ouster of our expatriate colleague from this board. These have nothing to do with 46’s polemics--nor do I imagine PA would axe any of us for airing points of view at variance with his own. My long-standing personal beef with zilly regards his inexplicable disregard—all too amply demonstrated in numerous posts over at least the past three years—for the investment of time and trouble that other writers make to produce original work, and, in turn, for Mike’s vulnerabilty vis-à-vis copyright violations. I offer below but two examples, one breach having been made just prior to 46’s disappearance from the PA Board.

In this thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30409) from 2006, I confront 46zilzal (see my post #16 and subsequent exchanges between 46 and me) with proof that he had lifted the entirety of his post #10, a 227-word passage from an article by Kirk Mulatz published in the September-November 2006 issue of The Science Creative Quarterly, without acknowledgment or permission. I found especially offensive the cavalier attitude 46 demonstrated toward me (“so sue me,” “nitpicker”) and PA, whom, as I explained to 46, he had "exposed to charges of copyright violation and to the severe penalties attendant thereto.”

Apparently that admonition went unheeded, as, as recently as last month (and—who knows?—perhaps several times before and since then), 46 was at it again. Compare, for example, this post (#131 from the thread “Palin It Is” [http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50184&page=2&pp=15]) with this passage authored by Dianne Manfredini and published at http://www.ericdigests.org/pre-9211/down.htm (cf. paragraphs #’s 2 and 3 in section 2 of Ms. Manfredini's article). Yep, verbatim et literatim—again!, and again without so much as a link or acknowledgment.

If what I’ve described has anything to do with PA’s decision to discharge 46, it was not without fair warning that this fraud was keelhauled and set adrift. In the academy, a single such instance (and it needn’t be so overt as 46’s; “intimate paraphrase” and “mosaic” are equally actionable) would be met with suspension at least, and almost certain expulsion or termination.

Now, just who is the infamous 46zilzal? Racetrack roustabout? Physician? Film maven? Placing judge or camera technician at a west Canada racetrack? Childhood pal of movie nogoodnik Bob Gunton? Though he may be any—and probably is all—of these, by undermining our credulity and respect he’s consigned himself to that Limbo of cyper-specters populated (if that’s the word) by would-be everybodys who turn out to be actual nobodys. In any case, he’s decidedly neither of two people (Kirk Mulatz and Dianne Manfredini) he’s pretended to be, or to be part of.

Perhaps a more apt choice of handle would have been 46ZELIG—after the protean title character of Woody Allen’s 1983 film. Zelig, too, might have been anybody, but lacking the self-respect (read courage)to be distinctly somebody, leaves us wondering if any such a one as “Zelig” ever existed.

classhandicapper
10-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Let's see ...

Derek/D2U/Plan B/who-EVER;

46zilzal ... the GREAT 46zilzal;

Amazin;'

Oh,yeah --- philzfan.

Didn't the_fat_man get banned?

sally
10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh I see... it's that darn off topic board again-- I seem to remember rookie getting the boot from there--

and thank you falconridge for such an erudite explanation!

toetoe
10-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Before you sentence him to 7-to-afterlife in Purgatorio, let us strive to know zilly the man.

Maybe he is the GREAT Joseph Biden, just enjoying a guilty pleasure, whilst steering clear of pornography. (Suggested screen name: 46ZZZZZZ ...)

Maybe he is really Juliana Paes (in which case I would recommend 46zaftig as a handle), blowing off steam out of the public eye.

How about Sean Connery (46zardoz, maybe ?), seeking the anonymity so often denied him in "real" life.

Might he be an amateur filmographer (46zapruder, hmm ?), bringing his unique experience to bear upon our discussions of historical events ?

Erica Jong (46zipless), maybe ?

Wherever/whoever you are, :4: :6: zillygoose, we salute you.

toetoe
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
F'ridge,

I believe our friendly general plagiarist ... oops, practitioner, that is --- and a well healed one at that, Holmes, I daresay --- was actually published in a pulp training manual. You remember, Sherman, surely ... Tales To Admonish ? :bang:

toetoe
10-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Speaking of the GREAT Woody Allen, I must solicit some love for the gigantic team of Hanks/Zemeckis, whom we have to blame ... oops, thank, i.e. --- for the CLASSIC which has been remade (with some hard and heavy means behind it, mind you) in the San Francisco area, my old flaming grounds. Please do not miss SOREST RUMP.

Tom
10-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Amazin;'

I do believe Amazin just went away, not banned.

LousycapperI
Lousycapper II
Lousycapper III

Maybe for lack of creativity? :lol:

falconridge
10-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Please do not miss SOREST RUMP.
Said flick is rumored to be doing turn-away business at a drive-in just off the Hershey Highway :eek: --reminding us that life is, after all, "like a box of chocolates." :faint:

toetoe
10-05-2008, 03:49 PM
It's bound to plop; I mean flop, of course. Kinda like the braless look.

Indulto
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
... Erica Jong (46zipless), maybe ?

Wherever/whoever you are, :4: :6: zillygoose, we salute you.When I first arrived here, tt, 46, and 'Fridge were among the first to make me feel welcome.

I find it interesting that so many of the posters I respect on this board are at total odds with others and have such different characteristics.

46 had a lot to say. Some of it was important. Most of it was confrontational. A lot of it was interesting and diverse. Much of it was repetitive. He chewed on Bush like a dog on a bone like Tom chewed on him. It became harder to separate the wheat from the chaff and so after a while I stopped listening.

But I want to thank him -- as should everyone else here who was opposed to the invasion of Iraq and the excesses of the Bush Administation -- for his tireless efforts to keep the truth as he saw it alive. I also want to thank PA for not silencing that voice when others had been for IMO lesser offenses.

If 46 posted too often, 'Fridge doesn't post enough. I haven't seen him post something negative about another poster before, so perhaps it's not likely his words will be forgotten. Nor where plagarism is involved should they be.

All of us who for better or worse or failure try to craft an entertaining or enlightening phrase wants and deserves recognition for our "efforts." Progress requires building on the works of others, but also requires crediting them.

I'm personally grateful to 46 for a post of his where he warned that all generic drugs don't necessarily contain the same amounts of each ingredient.

So I second toe's salute, 46. I'm better off because you posted here. Just in case I don't encounter you again somewhere else in cyberspace -- Good Luck.

toetoe
10-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Copy that. ;)

classhandicapper
10-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm still thinking about starting a campaign to bring the_fat_man and his charts back. :ThmbUp:

Indulto
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm still thinking about starting a campaign to bring the_fat_man and his charts back. :ThmbUp:I second that motion as well. ;)

falconridge
10-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Copy that. ;)
:D

Indulto,

Hear, hear. What I wish I’d made clear in my first post in this thread is that I’m not happy that we’ll no longer be hearing from 46zilzal. I appreciate the courage and commitment he showed in bearding some highly vituperative PA members whose opinions he disagreed with. Sometimes I sided with his opponents, but at least as often I found myself in 46’s camp. Whatever issue was in play, and however often his gangtackling detractors used their superior numbers and invective to bring him down, he’d pop back up, ready as ever to run the ball into the line. For that I admire him—and for remaining true to unpopular (amongst his PA colleagues, anyway) causes.

Anyone with the patience to follow the link to the exchange he and I had in August 2006 will see that his posts often intrigued, amused, and enlightened me. I mention in post #22 (q.v.) in the “laser eye surgery” thread that it wasn’t his character or motives I was questioning, just his methods. I just wanted to be sure that it was his—46zilzal’s—expressions I was reading and responding to, and not someone else’s. He posted things that made me want to know more, and more about him—but then he’d vanish amidst the billows of his purloined prose.

Now he’s not only vanished, but banished. I said I wasn’t happy that we won’t be hearing from 46zilzal, and I mean that. I’m sure PA understands that in saying that, I’m not knocking our host, who, as I indicated in my previous post, has more than sufficient cause to expel 46. Part of me hopes that the indiscretions I’ve described was the cause (I’ll leave it to PA to elucidate—or not); most of me wishes it weren’t.*

*Grammarians, note that subjunctive!

Overlay
10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
"Part of me hopes that the indiscretions I've described was* the cause...; most of me wishes it* weren't." ????

*Grammarians, note that subject-verb-antecedent disagreement! :D

falconridge
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
"Part of me hopes that the indiscretions I've described was* the cause..."????

*Grammarians, note that subject-verb disagreement! :D
Yeah, Ranger, I saw that only after my time for clicking on the "Edit" button had run out. :p

My defense, disingenuous though it may be ;) , is that I was writing British English, wherein collectivity of nouns calls for use of a verb form at variance with what we Yanks deem proper. I was saying that the indiscretions--not a single indiscretion--constituted a cause, not causes.

Come to think of it, that usually goes the other way--as when Trevor Denman declares a field's been "sent on their way" or when association football reporters remark that "Brasil have overpowered Nigeria." :bang: Never mind. :blush:

Hey, pal, next time PM me, won'tcha? :cool:

"'Whom is it?' said Cyril, for he had been to night school." --Anthony Powell

Overlay
10-05-2008, 07:59 PM
You know me, Al (and have for thirty-five years plus). All in good fun; no malice intended.

LottaKash
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I for one, will miss the "46"-....For as often as he would rub some of the members the wrong way, his interesting ideas would also stimulate a number of others to become more involved in the thread in action.....It is my perception that the threads that he was involved in, were more dynamic than those of so many of other posted threads....

best,

falconridge
10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
You know me, Al (and have for thirty-five years plus). All in good fun; no malice intended.No malice borne, I'm sure--and no offense taken. :ThmbUp: :)

Plague Bennett
Embryo Steeplejack

toetoe
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Before I try to steer this thread back onto its rightful path, i.e., Andy's driving habits and personal life, let me just say, Secretary Ridge, that "Brasil are into the final" is perfectly acceptable (except for presuming someone/something can be into anything ... :bang: ), because it does not establish an antecedent (stress syllable :2: , if you please), and then immediately disagree with it.

Example: The English majors at ESPN (I forget what that represents --- maybe Egregious Syllogisms Perpetrated by Nitwits ? :confused: ) love to say, e.g., "L.A. is going to the second round. They ( :bang: ... Ed.) will be tough." "L.A. are going to the second round" solves that nicely, Holmes.

Okay, getting my cryptic on here. Hey, no whining --- these are less cryptic than my "normal ( :rolleyes: )" posts, okay ? Here goes:

Deer hit by rental from Temp Motors gets a check. 4 lettahs and 6 lettahs.

I shall disquire no further but know this: you have been a very ruly, if somewhat trepid, bunch. Never forget that I am peccable, and my horses are vincible. Best of all, if you need a source of information, come see me. I am INCREDIBLE. (:Thumping scrawny chest.)

Indulto
10-06-2008, 03:32 PM
tt,

It's rumored that a new group known as DADD (Drivers Against Disturbed Deer) has been formed to address the new, roadside IEDs (Improvising Enterprising Deer) threatening motorists in wooded areas of New York State.

Suspected targets are advised to install antlers as hood ornaments and use rawhide car bras.

toetoe
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
The um, activists from the Indiana chapter are known as The Hoosier Daddies , unless I am misantled. In any case, I might be described as Chris Antlee. :bang: .

Indulto
10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
A lesser known work by the author of "Antlers in the Treetops," Whogoosed Themoose, is her treatise on philantlery entitled "Take the reins, Dear" which is said to have inspired a beauty contest winner whose headlights were caught on videotape for highlights to make headlines.

toetoe
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Sir, sir --- those PALIN comparison to my biting expose of San Franciscan tomfoolery, Will Be Strapped For Cash. No reining in --- or on --- the famous annual parade in that town-to-bugger-all-towns. And devil take the hindmost.

Witness my state of intermittent excitation >>>>>>>>>>>>>> :liar: .

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
You guys are good.

toetoe
10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm trying to get Dickie Dreyfuss for the lead in my so far underpitched project, Deer Hunter II: The Serling Files. Our protagonist looks hopelessly beaten in an ill-advised match race for charity, but suddenly runs down the leader in the SHADOW of the wire.

Jack Klugman is my choice for m.e. for the vignette dealing with the post mortem, Places In The Hart. Excuse me while I ... :bang: .

Note: No animals will be harmed in the production.

Indulto
10-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm trying to get Dickie Dreyfuss for the lead in my so far underpitched project, Deer Hunter II: The Serling Files. Our protagonist looks hopelessly beaten in an ill-advised match race for charity, but suddenly runs down the leader in the SHADOW of the wire.

Jack Klugman is my choice for m.e. for the vignette dealing with the post mortem, Places In The Hart. Excuse me while I ... :bang: .

Note: No animals will be harmed in the production.As Arnold Stang is no longer available, a goateed Dennis Weaver is the obvious choice as the panicking protagonist pursued by the determined deer, but “The Dear Hunter” suggests the kinder, gentler casting of Tina Fey whose helicopter hovers above the treetops in search of stalking IEDs – not to protect the targeted drivers, mind you, but to pick off any wolves contracted by DADD to provide woodland security.

toetoe
10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Alas, nor is Dennis with us any longer. Of course, his spirit lives on. In fact, I may vote for him.

Another vignette in my sad tale involves necrophiles ghoulishly exhuming D-Dub's corpse and, well, having their way with it. Working title (which maybe doesn't even work): Hey, Youse, Get Offa McCloud ... Jeez !

Indulto
10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Alas, nor is Dennis with us any longer. Of course, his spirit lives on. In fact, I may vote for him.

Another vignette in my sad tale involves necrophiles ghoulishly exhuming D-Dub's corpse and, well, having their way with it. Working title (which maybe doesn't even work): Hey, Youse, Get Offa McCloud ... Jeez !With no McCloud, Banacek, or MacMillan on the job, Columbo will have to keep an eye on things. But wouldn't Erica eschew a zipless Falk?

toetoe
10-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I've seen Erica S. chew a lotta t'ings. As t' Mistah Falk, he promised to "keep an eye out" fer iz muddy buddy and fellow trenchcoat model, the Cheerios Kid.

Mr. Falk's sister, Chata Falk Kopp, does not approve.

toetoe
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
The "bad" news is that Andy "Littleguy" Serling was caught, on TV, wearing an inappropriate cravat by Nick Zito. The "good" news is that Nicky himself still vests the sweater he wore during his childhood stickball sessions with Willie Mays. Goes to credibility, Your Honor. :faint:

Where's Lindsay Nelson(sp.?) when we need him ? "Moving on to further action ...?"

the little guy
10-13-2008, 06:48 PM
The "bad" news is that Andy "Littleguy" Serling was caught, on TV, wearing an inappropriate cravat by Nick Zito. The "good" news is that Nicky himself still vests the sweater he wore during his childhood stickball sessions with Willie Mays. Goes to credibility, Your Honor. :faint:

Where's Lindsay Nelson(sp.?) when we need him ? "Moving on to further action ...?"

You'll be relieved to know that the missed call was to compliment me on today's neckwear.

Needless to say, it was quite a relief to me.

toetoe
10-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Speaking of style, and considering a good oldfashioned clipping:

"Steve Crist ... Mike Watchmaker ... WHO WANTS IT MORE ?"