john del riccio
09-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Saturday's 5th at MTH.

For clarity, I didn't bet the race.

Very sad....

John

Pell Mell
09-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I know what a boat race is but I have no idea why this race was a boat job. I didn't see the PPs but did see the result. Please explain.

peakpros
09-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I didn't see this as a boat race. (if your referring to sat's 5th)

In fact it played out exactly as I thought it would.

Hey chub stalked the two speeds on the best part of the track, gained the lead and held off the cowboy...who i thought was coming back too quickly...

lamboguy
09-21-2008, 08:55 AM
i had bet on the 1 the prior time he ran.

speed has not been holding at monmouth for 2 weeks now, the track is dead. i bet on maza's horse in the race because he was training well and he got caught in a speed duel.

i don't know how you can accuse track maintenance or anything else because 2 horses got caught in a speed duel,and 2 longshots ran 1-2, someone is always going to take a risk reward with the way the track was playing.

if you really want to know why the payoffs were so low, try to find when the bets were made? often these days they are made after the bell has rung!!

peakpros
09-21-2008, 09:12 AM
i had bet on the 1 the prior time he ran.

speed has not been holding at monmouth for 2 weeks now, the track is dead. i bet on maza's horse in the race because he was training well and he got caught in a speed duel.

i don't know how you can accuse track maintenance or anything else because 2 horses got caught in a speed duel,and 2 longshots ran 1-2, someone is always going to take a risk reward with the way the track was playing.

if you really want to know why the payoffs were so low, try to find when the bets were made? often these days they are made after the bell has rung!!

the favorite was second...and the exacta paid $20 in a 5 horse field...what could one expect?

lamboguy
09-21-2008, 09:32 AM
i mixed that race up with the 6th race

Exotic1
09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
John,

What are you looking at to determine 'Boat Race'? Prices of which exotic wager? Was it the pace horses or closers that ran out of their projected style? If you are referring to the pick 3 payoffs, I was responsible for that one. I singled the 4 in the third race, E Dubai stretching out with controlling figures, the 4th was a single and a half (1 unit on the 3 and a half a unit on the 6) - they ran 1 - 2 -the exacta paid a generous 16 and change. The 5th race were 2 horses - the 3 and half a unit on the 1 and half a unit on the 5. The 3 figured to be close enough to the pace to make his move and the 5 figured to be too far back in a 5 horse field. I had the pick 3 for $300, but as it turns out the parlay was close to $36 instead of the $20 payout on a single dollar wager. Who knew there would be 12K in the pick 3 pool before the take out on a Saturday at Monmouth. That was my first stupid bet of the day. Then came the Super Derby, I singled the Charlie horse on figures and the rail and speed bias that's been in existence at Lad for two weeks, but left the Macho off of every ticket. I didn't see Kent sitting on the rail with a closer like that - I thought he would get off and go wide at some point. Left him out the exacta's and tri's. I had a $200 exacta 2-10 that I had to eat becuase Kent wouldn't get off the rail that he rode like a conveyor belt to just get second. The 10 never found the rail even though he figured ot break great with ample opportunity to get over to the rail. Sometimes exotics work, sometimes the win bet is the thing and just make your own horizontal parlay's instead of the vertical exotics.

ryesteve
09-21-2008, 10:04 AM
That was my first stupid bet of the dayLesson for charters and chinese double fans: sometimes you're just following the money of one guy who made a self-admitted "stupid bet"

But about the terminology: I always thought a "boat race" referred to a specific type of fixed race in which the horses never changed position from start to finish.

barn32
09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
But about the terminology: I always thought a "boat race" referred to a specific type of fixed race in which the horses never changed position from start to finish.A boat race is when the jockeys are practically standing up on their horses to hold them back so the longshots can come in the money.

Yes, I saw this happen. An honest jockey who wanted no part of it walked out of the jockey room in disgust only to run into my buddy whose job it was to sweep up the horse shit from the walking ring.

Honest jockey spilled the beans, and our buddy told his buddies...and I'm telling you it was soooooo obvious!

The Hawk
09-21-2008, 10:23 AM
A boat race is when the jockeys are practically standing up on their horses to hold them back so the longshots can come in the money.

Yes, I saw this happen. An honest jockey who wanted no part of it walked out of the jockey room in disgust only to run into my buddy whose job it was to sweep up the horse shit from the walking ring.

Honest jockey spilled the beans, and our buddy told his buddies...and I'm telling you it was soooooo obvious!

What track was this?

MONEY
09-21-2008, 10:23 AM
A boat race is when the front runner does not get challenged no matter how slow it runs. You would usually see a mad dash for second money after it is to late to catch the front running winner. I have seen this happen many times at Suffolk & Tampa. Which is why I no longer play those tracks.

money

ranchwest
09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I once saw a race (years ago) where all the jockeys stood up AND moved off the rail so a horse could move last to first on the rail in about 50 yards. I've seldom seen that sort of thing, but anyone that thinks that it is not possible for every jockey in the race to be in on something is wrong.

njcurveball
09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Perhaps you meant another race? Marquez had a hard time early with his horse and Elliott dropped back early. The final quarter of less than 25 would also make a case that no one was "waiting" for these horses to pass them. Comments are below.

Did you mean another race?

1st - Hey Chub ridden by C Marquez, Jr. trained by K Demasi
steadied early, in hand, drew clear late
2nd - Who's the Cowboy ridden by S Elliott trained by K Sleeter
dropped back, swung 4wide, up for place
3rd - Bythebeautifulsea ridden by C Lopez trained by J Servis
bobbled break, angled out 1/4 pl, bid, weakened
4th - Primal Impact ridden by D Centeno trained by M Shuman
set pace on rail, tired
5th - John's Pic ridden by J Bravo trained by F Costa
inside trip, no rally

Exotic1
09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Barn32 - Which track was this - were the pools large?

barn32
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Barn32 - Which track was this - were the pools large?Playfair race course circa 1975. It's now closed. Decent size track, small purses, bad horses, but good crowds and full fields. Crooked as hell. It was a bull-ring with a maximum of 10 horse fields.

Larry Pierce was the "honest Jockey."

It was funny. He comes out of the jockey room all pissed off moaning and groaning, and my buddy is nearby and asks him "Larry, what's wrong."

"Aww those stupid ass***** are boatin up this race."

"Oh yea..."

lamboguy
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
what about the old seminole downs?

the syringes were hanging out of their backpockets