PDA

View Full Version : IE7 problem with PremierTurfClub

highnote
09-21-2008, 02:50 AM
PTC is not working on my main computer with IE7, Firefox or Netscape.

It works fine on my other computer, so I know the problem is not with PTC.

There is a little yellow triangle at the bottom left of the PTC page after I log in. I double-click it and it shows the errors:

Line: 3
Char: 1
Error: Syntax error
Code: 0
URL: https://www.premierturfclub.com/client/

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Java. Installed/unistalled IE8 beta.

Now I'm back to IE7, but no luck.

I'm tempted to reinstall XP, but am worried I'll erase my entire hard drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

dutchboy
09-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Google "ie8beta and xp". There are known problems with ie8sp3 and xp. Best explanation can be found in the search. It appears if you install and uninstall IE8 in the wrong order along with xp3 or xp2 you may be an unhappy camper.

That may be why they call in the beta version. A reinstall of xp would erase all files and they would need to be reinstalled from your backup.

Why not try the xp restore function first? That has fixed problems a few times in the past for me. If the first attempt with restore does not work you can always try an older restore point.

PTC is not working on my main computer with IE7, Firefox or Netscape.

It works fine on my other computer, so I know the problem is not with PTC.

There is a little yellow triangle at the bottom left of the PTC page after I log in. I double-click it and it shows the errors:

Line: 3
Char: 1
Error: Syntax error
Code: 0
URL: https://www.premierturfclub.com/client/

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Java. Installed/unistalled IE8 beta.

Now I'm back to IE7, but no luck.

I'm tempted to reinstall XP, but am worried I'll erase my entire hard drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

highnote
09-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Google "ie8beta and xp". There are known problems with ie8sp3 and xp. Best explanation can be found in the search. It appears if you install and uninstall IE8 in the wrong order along with xp3 or xp2 you may be an unhappy camper.

That may be why they call in the beta version. A reinstall of xp would erase all files and they would need to be reinstalled from your backup.

Why not try the xp restore function first? That has fixed problems a few times in the past for me. If the first attempt with restore does not work you can always try an older restore point.

Here's another dumb question -- how do you start the restore process?

My IE7 stopped working with PTC a few days ago. Then I installed IE8. It wouldn't even run -- kept crashing as soon as it loaded. The message said it had to shut down due to an unexpected error.

DJofSD
09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I belive it's found under Accessories then System Tools and finally System Restore.

dutchboy
09-21-2008, 11:06 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

This is a link to an article that explains in detail how to do it. Not sure if it will fix your problem but it is very easy to do.

You could also type "xp system restore" in to google and you will find a lot of articles.

If the first restore does not fix it you can pick another restore point further back in time.

highnote
09-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Restore fixes the problem! Thanks, guys!!

However, it created another. I can't find a program I wrote last night.

So now, I have to undo restore, backup my files, and then redo the restore.

Did I ever mention that I hate computers. :bang:

robert99
09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
System Restore should not touch any of your current data or program files.
Is file somewhere else or wrongly named?
Going to another SR point should not help either - but you never know with MSoft..

JustRalph
09-22-2008, 04:40 PM
System Restore should not touch any of your current data or program files.
Is file somewhere else or wrongly named?
Going to another SR point should not help either - but you never know with MSoft..

Depends on where he stored the file. But you are right. Unless you were trying very hard to kill the file with a restore, it should still be there.

highnote
09-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I reverted to the current state and couldn't find the file, so I must not have saved it. Quite possible, knowing me.

Now, I reverted to the Sept 1 restore point and things seem to be working. I've only installed one program since then, so don't know how that caused a problem.

The main thing is that everything is working again. Thanks!