PDA

View Full Version : Online Poker Bad For the Bank Account?

traynor
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Interesting link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26563848

DJofSD
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
‘Who's going to make them pay?’
“I know I’m not going to get my money,” one dejected player, Daniel Cardoso of Utah, told msnbc.com. Cardoso believes he lost several thousand dollars through the alleged scheme but has not been able to obtain records from UltimateBet to verify that.

I know how this guys feels. While not a poker story, I had a situation with Twin Spires relating to a conditional wager. The wager was not made b/c supposidly the odds fluctuated right before the race started even though according to the offical results chart, my conditions were met. When I challenged TS all they would do is assert the bet did not meet the conditions and when I asked for details of the betting pool for the race, they either could not or would not make that data available to me.

ddog
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
people actually bet REAL money at online poker sites?

Hee hee hee, if you beg to get taken , why not .

Does the term, just fell off the turnip truck mean anything to you.

:sleeping:

JustRalph
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I actually played at on online site for a few days, very few real dollars. I just couldn't get over the fact that I was actually playing a computer, because I had no way to know if the other players were real etc. I bailed out while ahead a few bucks. It was just spooky to me.

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2008, 01:34 AM
The wager was not made b/c supposidly the odds fluctuated right before the race started even though according to the offical results chart, my conditions were met.I'm not sure, but it sounds to me that you don't realize how conditional betting works at TwinSpires.

You set the minimum odds and the MTP to submit your bet. Let's say you choose 5/1 as the minimum odds, and 1MTP as the submission time.

As soon as the TwinSpires server sees 1MTP at the track you wagered on, it reads your wager....if the odds on your horse are under 5/1, THAT'S IT. DONE. NO BET.

If the odds later drift up to 7-1 by the close of betting, you are out of luck. The TwinSpires server does NOT continue to check if your wager is valid beyond 1MTP. For instance, if it was 6-1 at 0MTP, your bet is still VOID.

Even if you set the MTP to ZERO, it will still only check ONCE, the moment the clock ticks to 0MTP. If it takes them another 3 or 4 minutes to actually get the race off, the TwinSpires server will never check on your bet again. It only checks once, at the moment the MTP reaches your preset condition.

That's why I still use my own homegrown program that continuously checks for a valid wager both at and BEYOND my MTP requirement....up and until the race goes off....

DJofSD
09-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Mike, you got it. It was painful b/c it was a 10:1 winner.

I've not made another conditional wager since.

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Mike, you got it. It was painful b/c it was a 10:1 winner.

I've not made another conditional wager since.Now that's going to the extreme. I have used the TwinSpires system (along with my own stuff) and I find it works well most of the time.

Cangamble
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
My mother, yes my mother, plays online poker (7 card stud) like an addict.
I'm not lying, she has made over 20k in the last year and a half systematically. Amazingly she can play at four tables at once.
She takes full advantage of getting rewards that sites offer....she plays on a couple of sites right now.
She has never had a problem getting or cashing a check. The problem in Canada is that they usually put a hold of around 15 business days on checks coming from Cyprus.
I am going to email her the article though. In the last 6 months she hasn't been winning at the same rate. I attribute it to the reality that big losers have probably left for other pastures, and the industry may have peaked.

DJofSD
09-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Now that's going to the extreme. I have used the TwinSpires system (along with my own stuff) and I find it works well most of the time.Perhaps but once burned twice shy.

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2008, 09:16 PM
My mother, yes my mother, plays online poker (7 card stud) like an addict.
I'm not lying, she has made over 20k in the last year and a half systematically. Amazingly she can play at four tables at once.I've dabbled in online poker some in the past, not so much recently. Given the recent scandals that have been uncovered at two major sites, it certainly gives one pause as to who it is you're actually playing against on the other side of the monitor....