PDA

View Full Version : quit yer bitchin' ......

Donnie
09-18-2008, 07:59 AM
....and do something about it!!

From the HTR board (hope the management here doesn't mind a copy and paste, but EVERY horseplayer should do this!) This is from Mel Moser who sits on the Horse Player's Panel:

Actually, man up is an exaggeration, given that what I'm asking everyone who reads this post to do will take less than two minutes of not particularly strenuous effort.

As almost everyone presumably knows by now, legislation has been introduced which would eliminate one of the fundamentally unfair tax burdens placed on horseplayers, namely the requirement that unlike other gamblers, horseplayers have 25% in federal taxes withheld on tickets of $5k or more on bets with odds of 300-1 or more. If there's any reason a horseplayer want to keep the current system in place, I've yet to hear it.

That's why I was shocked today to see the total number of horseplayers who have contacted their Representative to support this legislation. Call me crazy, but I can't see any reason for less than 100% participation from members of the Tour. The only possible explanations I can think of for why the number isn't much higher are two:

(1) Players are under the false impression that only members of the Horseplayers' Coalition are being asked to and can participate. Nothing could be further from the truth. As much as the Coalition would love to have you join, everyone can and should follow the steps outlined below to contact his or her Representative.

(2) Players are not clear on exactly what they need to do, and as a result don't realize how little time and effort is involved. An email has already been written and all you need to do is click on the following link from the NTRA site: http://www.capwiz.com/ntra/issues/al...ertid=11739961
Type in your name, address, and zip, click "send" and Capwiz does the rest.

The introduction of this important legislation is only the first step in a long process, and its chances of actually becoming law depend in large part on whether and to what extent those who are in favor of passage make their support known. For literally decades I've been hearing horseplayers complain that they don't have a seat at the table where the decisions that impact them directly are made. On this issue at least, each of you is being offered a seat, and I can only hope everyone understands that for this and future issues, it's important that as many players as possible take advantage of the opportunity to let their voice be heard.

So if you DON'T sign this, then quit yer bitching! If you do sign it, carry on!

schweitz
09-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Done !

cj
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I did it, but let us not go overboard. It is a good thing for those that play the big exotic wagers. I can say with pretty close to certainty that this was not done to help the horseplayer. It was done to help the tracks by keeping money in circulation.

I'll believe the tracks are genuinely concerned about the bettor when they try to get breakage eliminated.

BombsAway Bob
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
sent & forwarded! After Uncle Sam started 'holding' $1,291 of my winnings 12 days ago, it REALLY STRUCK HOME! :eek:

Donnie
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
CJ-
Understood. Personally, I try not to put that money back into circulation...at least not the full amount. In my case, it guarantees a winning day. The degree of which is determined by the rest of the day.

Don't worry Bob...I am sure they are "safe-guarding" it for you! Sure kinda makes you sit up and take notice, doesn't it?

SMOO
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I did it, but let us not go overboard. It is a good thing for those that play the big exotic wagers. I can say with pretty close to certainty that this was not done to help the horseplayer. It was done to help the tracks by keeping money in circulation.

I'll believe the tracks are genuinely concerned about the bettor when they try to get breakage eliminated.

Good point.

On that subject, I notice that due to dime supers some tracks are paying out in pennies again. Wasn't that the "reason" behind breakage in the first place, not to have to pay out pennies?

HUSKER55
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
done

cj's dad
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
sent & forwarded! After Uncle Sam started 'holding' $1,291 of my winnings 12 days ago, it REALLY STRUCK HOME! :eek:

I paid out $1600+ this year on a nice tri. Guess the govment split it between Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac:bang:

stuball
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
and sent

Stuball

JustRalph
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
I paid out $1600+ this year on a nice tri. Guess the govment split it between Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac:bang:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Imriledup
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
....and do something about it!!

From the HTR board (hope the management here doesn't mind a copy and paste, but EVERY horseplayer should do this!) This is from Mel Moser who sits on the Horse Player's Panel:

Actually, man up is an exaggeration, given that what I'm asking everyone who reads this post to do will take less than two minutes of not particularly strenuous effort.

As almost everyone presumably knows by now, legislation has been introduced which would eliminate one of the fundamentally unfair tax burdens placed on horseplayers, namely the requirement that unlike other gamblers, horseplayers have 25% in federal taxes withheld on tickets of $5k or more on bets with odds of 300-1 or more. If there's any reason a horseplayer want to keep the current system in place, I've yet to hear it.

That's why I was shocked today to see the total number of horseplayers who have contacted their Representative to support this legislation. Call me crazy, but I can't see any reason for less than 100% participation from members of the Tour. The only possible explanations I can think of for why the number isn't much higher are two:

(1) Players are under the false impression that only members of the Horseplayers' Coalition are being asked to and can participate. Nothing could be further from the truth. As much as the Coalition would love to have you join, everyone can and should follow the steps outlined below to contact his or her Representative.

(2) Players are not clear on exactly what they need to do, and as a result don't realize how little time and effort is involved. An email has already been written and all you need to do is click on the following link from the NTRA site: http://www.capwiz.com/ntra/issues/al...ertid=11739961
Type in your name, address, and zip, click "send" and Capwiz does the rest.

The introduction of this important legislation is only the first step in a long process, and its chances of actually becoming law depend in large part on whether and to what extent those who are in favor of passage make their support known. For literally decades I've been hearing horseplayers complain that they don't have a seat at the table where the decisions that impact them directly are made. On this issue at least, each of you is being offered a seat, and I can only hope everyone understands that for this and future issues, it's important that as many players as possible take advantage of the opportunity to let their voice be heard.

So if you DON'T sign this, then quit yer bitching! If you do sign it, carry on!

And we really think this matters? Why would legislators listen to Joe Gambler and his little E mail?