PDA

View Full Version : New Show : Trips and Traps

the little guy
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Starting tomorrow, with a new segment weekly, we will be doing a roughly twenty minute segment for the NYRA Youtube site called " Trips and Traps. " The show will cover about six races from the previous week at whichever NYRA track is running with trip comments and some horses to watch. There will be a link on nyra.com.

As always, I welcome any input or suggestions.

point given
09-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Starting tomorrow, with a new segment weekly, we will be doing a roughly twenty minute segment for the NYRA Youtube site called " Trips and Traps. " The show will cover about six races from the previous week at whichever NYRA track is running with trip comments and some horses to watch. There will be a link on nyra.com.

Great ,look forward to it. You and JB ? Same thing as that segment on your old youbet show expanded ?

the little guy
09-17-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm doing it with Eric tomorrow but I'm sure Jason will do it sometimes as well.

Yes, it's a sort of extension of the Hidden Horse segments.

BombsAway Bob
09-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Could you/NYRA allow it's broadcast to be replayed after each episodes' initial 'NYRA~YouTube' release to TVG &/or HRTV, for them to show on occasion between races?
It would work like a free NYRA.com ad, & be a welcome relief from the likes of the 2004 short on "reading cutbacks" TVG currently runs over... and over...-Thanks for you insights.-Bob

Niko
09-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the notice. I probably would have missed it. Always enjoy the analysis!

Tom
09-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Cool, Andy.....looking forward to it. :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Congrats, it should be fun and helpful.

Robert Fischer
09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Cool:ThmbUp:

rjorio
09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Looking forward to some insightful and entertaining commentaries.Thoroughly enjoyed you and Harvey at CIRO'S.Any word on whether Kurt made it out Saratoga alive,a great guest.

point given
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM

where;s the beef ?

the little guy
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
It's been filmed but there must have been a delay putting it up. Should be up tomorrow.

the little guy
09-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Here's a link to the NYRA Youtube site. The show is in two segments towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.youtube.com/NYRAvideo

point given
09-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Like the concept, however I have trouble with these old eyes seeing the trips on the small box, especially with Belmont replays. You guys are viewing a tv monitor and can probably see it much better. Is there a way to view it larger ? Also, it might help if you could arrange for a telestrator to id the horse on screen , like the one they use to ID the disqualifications. This would be invalueble to show the instances of being cutoff, holes close, etc.

the little guy
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
We will try to highlight better in the future and improve the quality of the video or maybe at least make the screen a little lighter.

To be honest, the best way to see the races might be to pull them up again through a replay site. Now, maybe we could put them on the Youtube site, and I will look into that, but I'm not sure how much I can improve it during the show.

It's a work in progress.

Charlie D
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

SmartyMarty
09-22-2008, 06:47 AM
make the screen a little lighter.

screen looks like they're runnin the pacers durin a power failure at Yonkers...

Grits
09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
screen looks like they're runnin the pacers durin a power failure at Yonkers...

:lol: Leave it to Schmarts to quip the hilarious.

I asked TLG last week, right after viewing the first two installments of the show, which I viewed at 6:30 a.m. the morning of their debut, if the replays could possibly be lightened up.

I'm glad to see it was not only MY own eyes having trouble. Though a back up race replay site is a good idea as well.

onefast99
09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Pretty good show. The 9-12 8th race on the turf at Belmont should of been taken off.

overthehill
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
nice show. but i dont agree with you about perfect casting. to me if a horse is strong on turf he just bull his way through. also when horse are shut off on grass and recover they can take off like a rocket. this one didnt. Not only that but the horse that shut him off wasnt even that good in the race, so all in all i dont think much of perfect casting.

the little guy
09-24-2008, 12:39 AM
nice show. but i dont agree with you about perfect casting. to me if a horse is strong on turf he just bull his way through. also when horse are shut off on grass and recover they can take off like a rocket. this one didnt. Not only that but the horse that shut him off wasnt even that good in the race, so all in all i dont think much of perfect casting.

I appreciate your thoughts but I think you should watch the race again with the head on of the stretch run. I'm not sure you will still feel the same way.

Regardless, I also am not thrilled with betting Perfect Casting back, as I stated on the show if he had gotten clear, and won, it would have been with the benefit of a perfect trip. However, I'm more interested in the overall discussion of these races, and am glad to hear your thoughts.

The next show should be up sometime tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

ezmred
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
tlg,

good show! good to see nyra going with more up to date tech stuff now as a ny bettor maybe we could add on live streaming of nyra races on line, as is we can't see the races streamed in n.y.:bang: nyra should be able to show their own product online any way good luck with the new show.:ThmbUp:

ezmred

the little guy
09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
NYRA would love to show streaming video on-line and as soon as they get the OK from the NY Racing and Wagering Board they will.

The second Trips & Traps is up now. Part I was just posted and Part II should be up momentarily.

tribecaagent
09-24-2008, 11:41 PM
TLG,

I know you're a sharp guy and I respect you a great deal. Also, its nice to see you embracing the mentor roll to Jason & Eric. However, its becoming cumbersome to watch two guys who not dare to disagree with you. I watch the show, and its like they're petrified to call you out on something which they might have seen through a different set of eyes. Please. Can we have a counter point once in a while? Either take the hand cuffs off the kids, and tell them to become men, or get someone who will stand up to you with a brain. Anything beats this "you're right Andy" stuff.

Other than that, I always enjoy your analysis.

NY BRED
09-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Hi Andy:

this is a great addition which I think should appear on the Races of
the week addition now carried by MSG.The first part of the show would show the replays of the major races, and perhaps you could add your comments on
the trips and traps .
The second part of the show could include the significant "T&T" issues
for races run during the week at NYRA.

It might also be interesting if TVG included your pick on the one "special" race
picked by Matt and MIke for either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, to determine
the ROI and ability of each commentator.

Best,

Gary

slewis
09-25-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm doing it with Eric tomorrow but I'm sure Jason will do it sometimes as well.

Yes, it's a sort of extension of the Hidden Horse segments.

Why dont you have Tweedle-dee (Eric) and Tweedle-dum (Blewitt) re-assigned as floor sweepers and hire Jessica Pacheco to do the show with you.
As long as the camera is on her most of the time.... It'll be a hit.

the little guy
09-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Andy:

this is a great addition which I think should appear on the Races of
the week addition now carried by MSG.The first part of the show would show the replays of the major races, and perhaps you could add your comments on
the trips and traps .
The second part of the show could include the significant "T&T" issues
for races run during the week at NYRA.

It might also be interesting if TVG included your pick on the one "special" race
picked by Matt and MIke for either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, to determine
the ROI and ability of each commentator.

Best,

Gary

I don't know about TVG, after my appearance on " Blinker's Off " over the summer I may want to retire from them with, probably, the only positive ROI I will ever have. But, hey, they know my number and can feel free to offer me a few bucks to appear on their network. I'm sure you know the old joke......" we've already established that.....now we're just working on price. "

Thanks for your thoughts.

ezpace
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Your T&T video above average, however guys that follow up on betting

F&M trips are the same ones you see while sitting in NYC restaurants

asking the proprietor if they can wash some dishes for a meal. ;)

the little guy
10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Your T&T video above average, however guys that follow up on betting

F&M trips are the same ones you see while sitting in NYC restaurants

asking the proprietor if they can wash some dishes for a meal. ;)

To each his or her own.

When I did " Playing to Win " for Youbet I included a segment called " The Hidden Horse " where I found a trip horse to watch for. During Saratoga I covered eight horses, seven ran back ( one unfortunately got hurt ) and four won their following start, and two more their subsequent start ( including Cool Coal Man...who I also predicted would become a stakes horse after finishing a distant fourth in his debut ). One of the horses was Slew's Tiznow who paid $17. All the winners paid square prices.

Nothing works absolutely in this game.

the little guy
10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
By the way, for those interested in a future career in dishwashing, there will be a new Trips and Traps posted later today or this evening.

JustRalph
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
By the way, for those interested in a future career in dishwashing, there will be a new Trips and Traps posted later today or this evening.
:lol: :lol:

onefast99
10-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Good call on the tiznow horse, that sire is red hot right now, evidenced in the sales and winners circles!

YokohamaMary
10-02-2008, 11:46 PM
FYI: I couldn't find the part 1 of the October trips and traps on YouTube (2nd part was up though).

Enjoying the show from the far east.

the little guy
10-03-2008, 12:08 AM
FYI: I couldn't find the part 1 of the October trips and traps on YouTube (2nd part was up though).

Enjoying the show from the far east.

It's right next to Part II on the NYRA Youtube site.

point given
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
One thing I noticed about the videos is that there aren't any graphics of the horses names, so that i could write them down correctly without digging up the chart for the race. Perhaps you could have a graphic at the beginning of the segment with the race entrants with the horses name highlighted in yellow while the others are white ? or some such thing while you guys talk about what race what date and what horse you are going to concentrate on while the graphic is up . I like the telestrator circling the horse you are talking about and the video is better now lightened up. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks. We had the name, when we were talking about a specific horse, and the date of the race up for the third show.

Charlie D
01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Enjoy the show

Any chance of you guys including some analysis of races outside NYRA

the little guy
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Enjoy the show

Any chance of you guys including some analysis of races outside NYRA

Thanks. I'm not really sure we can.

Too bad.....I have a good one from the last at Gulfstream Saturday.

BeatTheChalk
02-01-2009, 09:07 PM

Well @ I hope you are happy now. I can never bet another race
again :lol: :( I mean come on here .. I watched the first 1/2 of the
vid over at You Tube and I have been mumblin to myself ever since.
These guys are talking about things I never heard of :bang: :D
I guess it's back to the Tote Board for me. I obviously have no chance
to do anyting .. reading the forms :eek: :jump:

supercap
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Great show, I watched a couple of weeks ago and you were money!

rjorio
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Could it be Splash Of Colour?

the little guy
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Could it be Splash Of Colour?

No.

NTamm1215
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Who doesn't love the backstretch rush into a box after a slow break, right?

NT

the little guy
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Who doesn't love the backstretch rush into a box after a slow break, right?

NT

The horse I'm interested in had a clean trip.

phatbastard
02-03-2009, 05:11 AM
how about For Sally's close into fast late fractions [around 27 seconds]

jonnielu
02-03-2009, 06:29 AM
TLG,

I know you're a sharp guy and I respect you a great deal. Also, its nice to see you embracing the mentor roll to Jason & Eric. However, its becoming cumbersome to watch two guys who not dare to disagree with you. I watch the show, and its like they're petrified to call you out on something which they might have seen through a different set of eyes. Please. Can we have a counter point once in a while? Either take the hand cuffs off the kids, and tell them to become men, or get someone who will stand up to you with a brain. Anything beats this "you're right Andy" stuff.

Now that would be an idea, someone to ask how it is that the winner managed to get a "good" trip could put some "uumph" into the crashing bore of a show. Probably much too bold and daring for the NYRA.

jdl

westny
02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
TLG,

YOU must be watching a different program. I watch the NYRA pre race program EVERYDAY and I have the exact opposite OPINION from yours.

If you really knew what you are talking about, :sleeping: YOU would realize the Talking Horses selections are posted on ther NYRA website every day. You don't have to be a "brain surgeon" to read their selections and compare them to verify what you are posting is NOT the usual case.