PDA

View Full Version : Maryland bans Steroids

cj's dad
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Looks the Maryland Racing Commission is doing the right thing. Too bad, may not be anyone around to notice.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.ban17sep17,0,612670.story

joanied
09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah....may be a little late in coming...what IS the present situation for Pimlico...does anyone know...will they close it?

cj's dad
09-23-2008, 06:10 PM
joanie, there are no horses on the grounds- all have been shipped to Bowie, Laurel or points NESW.

I am pretty sure that Pimlico has only a few weeks (3?) of live racing scheduled prior to the Preakness, and then off to Laurel, on to Colonial, Timonium and back to Laurel. I believe it's pretty much over. This could very well be the last Preakness held here.

joanied
09-23-2008, 06:33 PM
joanie, there are no horses on the grounds- all have been shipped to Bowie, Laurel or points NESW.

I am pretty sure that Pimlico has only a few weeks (3?) of live racing scheduled prior to the Preakness, and then off to Laurel, on to Colonial, Timonium and back to Laurel. I believe it's pretty much over. This could very well be the last Preakness held here.

Ya know, closing Pimlico was a syrprise to me, I always figured if they shut down one of them, it'd be Bowie...hate to say this, but I never liked that place...is it still in as bad shape as ever...run down ect?

I wonder where they'll run the Preakness after '09...
anyway, it's kinda sad to see another piece of racing history bite the dust:(

cj's dad
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
keep in mind that this is merely conjecture on my part, but I can tell you from recent experience that Old Hilltop is going down the tubes fast. There seems to be serious back stretch issues (security-living conditions) and of course the surrounding area is for the most part the pits.

Hey- what the hell; they"re tearing down Yankee Stadium -
makes losing Pimlico (if it happens) minor by comparison IMO.

joanied
09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
keep in mind that this is merely conjecture on my part, but I can tell you from recent experience that Old Hilltop is going down the tubes fast. There seems to be serious back stretch issues (security-living conditions) and of course the surrounding area is for the most part the pits.

Hey- what the hell; they"re tearing down Yankee Stadium -
makes losing Pimlico (if it happens) minor by comparison IMO.

The neighborhood around Pimlico was 'the pits' even when I was still on the racetracks, and so were the living conditions on track...but as far as living conditions on any backside, other than the track keeping utilites working properly and up to date, the actual condition of the 'rooms' is pretty much up to who's living there...keep it clean & tidy, or live in a cess pool.

I just found out recently about Yankee Stadium...now that is a shame...hell, it's like a historical landmark!!