PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally Deleted Word Document

barn32
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Using XP and Word 2007 I went to start>my recent documents and accidentally deleted a Word document. It wasn't in the recycle bin. Is there any way to get it back?

Thanks

tupper
09-15-2008, 11:48 PM
First of all, try not to use your computer until you are ready to start recovering your file (avoids writing over the deleted data).

Are you saying that using Word 2007, you had the document open and deleted the contents? If so, try Edit>Undelete several times.

If you deleted the file (not just the contents), you might also try the "Ultimate Boot CD For Windows": http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

It contains about seven or eight file recovery/undelete programs.

Hope this helps.

barn32
09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks. It turns out that it didn't get deleted after all. I never use the start>my recent documents path, but apparently all deleting from that menu does is remove it from your most recent documents.

I looked for it in the drive where I saved it, but it wasn't there. Upon further examination there it was.

I also found this program called File Scavenger (http://www.snapfiles.com/features/filescavenger-803-406688.php), which has a free trial that appears to be pretty snazy. I downloaded it with no fuss, no muss and it found a lot of old stuff, but when my deleted document didn't show up I double checked the folder and there it was.

tupper
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I see.

In the start>my_recent_documents folder, you merely deleted the link to the file, not the file itself.

JustRalph
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey Barn.......... if you were running for President, your guy, Obama would run and ad against you for not knowing how to use your computer............

Think about it!

barn32
09-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Hey Barn.......... if you were running for President, your guy, Obama would run and ad against you for not knowing how to use your computer............

Think about it!My guy? I'm a Republican.