PDA

View Full Version : No hitters

Valuist
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
First Zambrano last night. First in 36 years for the Cubs. Now Lilly is working on one.....Still 4 innings to go.

cj
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
It is a shame the Astros were forced to play in Wrigley North when they were red hot.

I guess they never gave Sabathia his no no. That was clearly an error.

Valuist
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Their options were kind of limited. St. Louis was getting hit hard by rain. Supposedly Arizona was considered but it comes down to money. Selig knows Cub fans will make the 90 mile trip north and they got a decent crowd. If they held it at a neutral site far away from both teams they probably wouldn't get more than 5000 fans.

cj
09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
You act like games never get rained out. Why the sudden rush to play these so fast? It was very unfair to the Astros.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
2 weeks left in the regular season, most teams schedule to play rest of the dates. Playoff positions to be determined without delaying the already too long & late post-season. They really needed to get as many games completed as possible. At least they didn't play a double-header - they left one postponed game to be played later, only if needed.

If no makeups were played, and if reg season ends and Astros still have a chance at wild-card, they'd have had to play up to 3 games vs the Cubs with all the playoffs waiting, until either the Astros were eliminated or qualified, or tied with another team and forced another game.

They played a couple games somewhere and got them decided. Not a perfect situation for the Astros, but they had their chance to play the games.

Valuist
09-16-2008, 08:51 PM
You act like games never get rained out. Why the sudden rush to play these so fast? It was very unfair to the Astros.

I'm not sure why you'd say that. Games get rained out plenty of times in April and May. Steve hit the nail on the head. There's getting to be a very finite amount of time left. Want to talk unfair? How about the 2005 Saints? Supposedly they had "home" games in San Antonio but lets face it; they were on the road all season. But what was the alternative?

Pace Cap'n
09-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I guess they never gave Sabathia his no no. That was clearly an error.

An error can only be made on an ordinary play. He had to make an extra-ordinary effort just to reach the ball, and to follow with a perfect and timely throw would have been quite out of the ordinary.

Valuist
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I thought it was ridiculous that Yost was lobbying the league to change the ruling. A lot of good it did him as he's now the ex-Brewers manager. He should've had his mind on his team, which was fading from a potential playoff berth.

cj
09-17-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure why you'd say that. Games get rained out plenty of times in April and May. Steve hit the nail on the head. There's getting to be a very finite amount of time left. Want to talk unfair? How about the 2005 Saints? Supposedly they had "home" games in San Antonio but lets face it; they were on the road all season. But what was the alternative?

Is Houston's stadium that damaged? I'm not sure it can be compared to the Superdome, but maybe I'm wrong.

The biggest problem is baseball insisting on beginning the season in late winter and ending it in early winter. That is why there are a finite number of days left. It doesn't help that they give too many off days in the first three months of the season and hardly any at the end.

My opinion is since they were home games for Houston, they should have been allowed to figure out where to play them. Bud Selig having them played in Milwaukee, his stomping grounds, just smells of impropriety.

cj
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
An error can only be made on an ordinary play. He had to make an extra-ordinary effort just to reach the ball, and to follow with a perfect and timely throw would have been quite out of the ordinary.

Did you actually watch the play? A fat guy on a tricycle could have gotten to the ball. I would love to hear how that was extraordinary effort?

I agree it shouldn't have been changed after the fact, but I disagree with that being any more than a routine play a professional baseball player should make 19 times out of 20.

Valuist
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Is Houston's stadium that damaged? I'm not sure it can be compared to the Superdome, but maybe I'm wrong.

The biggest problem is baseball insisting on beginning the season in late winter and ending it in early winter. That is why there are a finite number of days left. It doesn't help that they give too many off days in the first three months of the season and hardly any at the end.

My opinion is since they were home games for Houston, they should have been allowed to figure out where to play them. Bud Selig having them played in Milwaukee, his stomping grounds, just smells of impropriety.

I agree. I guess I just take for granted that Selig would do something like that. Maybe I'm biased, being a Chicago fan. The season is too long but for money reasons and tradition, it NEVER will be shortened, at least in our lifetimes.

Pace Cap'n
09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Did you actually watch the play?

Several times. Guess we just saw it differently.