PDA

View Full Version : Does Wall Street Tank tomorrow?

JustRalph
09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Lehman Brothers may come crashing down tomorrow, actually I think that is a done deal. Any chances the market shuts down tomorrow?

Valuist
09-15-2008, 12:12 AM
I doubt it. They didn't halt trading the Monday BSC went down, although like Lehman, it actually was put down on Sunday. There's so many 300 point drops and rises, the volatility has become commonplace.

barn32
09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Lehman Brothers may come crashing down tomorrow, actually I think that is a done deal. Any chances the market shuts down tomorrow?

It looks like fair value (http://money.cnn.com/data/premarket/) suggests about a -321 opening right now. (9:14 pm PST)

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
S&P Futures hovering near -40 pts in overnight trading....

That's close to a 400 point gap down at the open on the DOW if it stays like this...

riskman
09-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Of the five big investment banks that were in operation at the outset of this year, The Bear Stearns Cos. has already failed and been taken over and Lehman Brothers is trying to avoid a similar fate. That leaves only three members of the original group - Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc. and Morgan Stanley. Just where were all the risk-management experts who should have assessed the pitfalls these companies faced, and how could they have missed the massive risks that are now threatening to take this entire sector down? Very scary---Who is next?

bigmack
09-15-2008, 01:23 AM
An awfully established lot with these stalwarts that now appear to be as fragile as a house of cards in a strong wind. Is the game now for each of them to ask "will you bail us out?" and act accordingly?

If Lehman didn't have the assets they have would the Feds have ponied up?

Mess in any event.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2008, 01:30 AM
That leaves only three members of the original group - Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc. and Morgan Stanley...Very scary---Who is next?Ooops....too late....Merrill Lynch has just been purchased by Bank of America....that leaves two left....Goldman and Morgan....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=az4ntq7NOJME&refer=news

bigmack
09-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Leveraged risk blown to smithereens by a series of negative outcomes.

If I make $200K/yr will a bank lend me $8 million to buy a home?

Some of this is just silly.

hvgULMVmJaU

wonatthewire1
09-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Bigmack,

Do you think I should sell my SPX puts tomorrow?

Thx

:ThmbUp:

barn32
09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Bigmack,

Do you think I should sell my SPX puts tomorrow?

Thx

:ThmbUp:

I'd have got out MOC today!

wonatthewire1
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd have got out MOC today!

There was a bit more to go on the open
Sold with the higher low at 1,173 so strung 20 more pts out of it

Those were my "Palin Puts" sometimes things just come together like that...

Back before the crash of '87, guys I worked with thought I was crazy to short Bristol Myers at 94 3/8; bought it back at 32 1/8

;)

barn32
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
There was a bit more to go on the open
Sold with the higher low at 1,173 so strung 20 more pts out of it

Those were my "Palin Puts" sometimes things just come together like that...

Back before the crash of '87, guys I worked with thought I was crazy to short Bristol Myers at 94 3/8; bought it back at 32 1/8

;)I've seen so many of these huge sell offs that I finally learned that most of these events are already built into the market. The market basically knew what was coming. The ensuing selloff is usually an overreaction and most of the time a buying opportunity.

skate
09-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Buy Buy Buy

gees... it unbelievable , how people will only look at 'One Side of The Balance Sheet".

Oh, we always have "sells", but now is the time to Buy Baby Buy.

Lotta strong banks out there Ladies. Among many other companys.

Now is the only:eek: time to build wealth.