PDA

View Full Version : Forget Dutrow & Iavarone....It's Big Brown

tribecaagent
09-14-2008, 03:06 AM
As much as I detest Dutrow (not so much Iavarone), I just can't help but think of the central figure in all of this, Big Brown.

Big Brown won the Florida Derby from post 12. Then he wins The Kentucky Derby from post 20.

I'm willing to trade the Preakness (a race in which he won) with The Belmont (a race in which he didn't show up).

Big Brown goes on to win The Haskell. O.K. no big deal , right? Well, after that, he wins this afternoon's stakes on the grass. Again, no big deal right? NOT REALLY.

How many can reproduce the same type of performance on dirt AND turf?
Not too many. Only the

Granted, I'm not a fan of Dutrow. In fact, I made a major bet AGAINST this horse in The Kentucky Derby. However, I think it's time to realize what we are watching, which is a serious racehorse. This horse runs on any racetrack, any surface, and always seems to find a way to win.

Maybe an all time great if he wins the Breeders' Cup Classic.

DrunkenHorseplayer
09-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Definitely ran a superb race today; looks like he'll command a pretty hefty stud fee.

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2008, 03:39 AM
He set a robust pace in the Monmouth Stakes and still came home in nearly :12 flat for the final eighth....
I know some are already downgrading the competition he faced on Saturday, but that's to be expected. When they thought he couldn't win the Monmouth Stakes BEFORE the race was run, all I kept hearing was how tough this field was, filled with grizzled turf veterans....

Watch the stretch run of the Monmouth Stakes and tell me the three horses behind him aren't ALL OUT, while Big Brown still seemed to be within himself....

Because both Big Brown and Curlin have proven that they can handle turf, I would think a match up in the Breeders' Cup Classic would be a fair and telling test. Who knows, we might just see BB and Curlin both get BEAT by a Euro when all is said and done....

The Hawk
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Watch the stretch run of the Monmouth Stakes and tell me the three horses behind him aren't ALL OUT, while Big Brown still seemed to be within himself....

This is the main point his detractors miss. You just don't see that everyday, and when you take into account the accomplishments and ability of the horses chasing him, and Big Brown's inexperience, it was a truly great performance. And that's not a word I use a lot.

Also, I bet against him, aggressively.

classhandicapper
09-14-2008, 11:43 AM
IMO, there's almost no doubt he's a very good, pretty versatile, and very game horse who wasn't himself on Belmont day.

The only issue to be resolved is how he would stack up against some of the other top 3YOs of the past and Curlin this year. Perhaps we'll learn more in the BC Classic, but because it's on still another surface we are probably going to learn more about his versatility than his ability on dirt.

If Curlin chooses to not go to the Classic and BB wins, I hope something can be worked out between the camps to find a race on dirt where they can meet in their final appearance.

joanied
09-14-2008, 03:09 PM
BIG BROWN :1:

I really expected to come here today and start reading posts that found somedamnedthing wrong with BB's turf race...we've had so many that just would not give this colt a break...so I'm happy that it seems, so far, that everyone agrees on one thing...this is a special horse, very special:ThmbUp:

I don't know what else anyone can expect from BB....he's overcome everything thrown at him, and it's a damned shame that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong on Belmont Day...but, toss that out, and what we have here is an exceptional colt... I'm glad some of us stuck to our guns and never came off him...he's rewarded us with another thrill of a race... and to those who don't like Dutrow, I hope you can give him the credit he deserves in training BB, he's done a hell of a job...and as for Kent D....I think he and BB finally came to some kind of an 'agreement' during the running yesterday, and it did my heart good to see Brown surrounded by his connections getting loved on with pats & rubs for another job well done.

BIG BROWN
:jump: :1: :jump:

Stevie Belmont
09-14-2008, 03:44 PM
People who downgrade a performance based on competiton is a poor excuse, those were solid horses, but the effort was unreal, to take them all the way and come home in 12 flat...

For horse that already has down some amazing things, the derby win from post 20, the Florida Derby on the lead the whole way from post 12, and now this...Who cares, the horse is legit...

He set a robust pace in the Monmouth Stakes and still came home in nearly :12 flat for the final eighth....
I know some are already downgrading the competition he faced on Saturday, but that's to be expected. When they thought he couldn't win the Monmouth Stakes BEFORE the race was run, all I kept hearing was how tough this field was, filled with grizzled turf veterans....

Because both Big Brown and Curlin have proven that they can handle turf, I would think a match up in the Breeders' Cup Classic would be a fair and telling test. Who knows, we might just see BB and Curlin both get BEAT by a Euro when all is said and done....