PDA

View Full Version : paceline on htr

amazingD
09-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Anyone understand if you can select a paceline for each horse in htr and how to do it so it handicaps the race based on your paceline selection. If so how does this usually fare compared to just letting the computer do it. Assumed you are a reasonable handicapper. Thanks

Donnie
09-13-2008, 09:20 AM
D-
in the upper right hand corner of any HTR screen, set the PL to "0", then go thru the lines you want to set as the select paceline(s) by double-clicking on those pacelines.
Ken's studies have shown that the default, Paceline 5, is more accurate than nearly any handicapper. He actually held a contest among subscribers pitting all of us against picks by Paceline 5. There was only one handicapper who did a better job than the computer when taking the top choice simply based on the chosen paceline(s).

CBedo
09-13-2008, 09:49 AM
It's interesting that only two outperformed the program.

It would be interesting in each of the contest races to see what paceline the human handicappers picked the most often (the median pace line sort of), and see if that outperformed the computer.

(Can you tell I've been reading The Wisdom of Crowds?)

amazingD
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks. I am not sure but i think htr may even look at race shape to select horses too. Do you know. MY work is based on race shapes.

LottaKash
09-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I am not sure but i think htr may even look at race shape to select horses too. Do you know. MY work is based on race shapes.

AmazinD, I have my own concept and utilization of race shape, but for the sake of clarification could you explain Race-Shapes, as others seem to know what is meant by this.....

Thx,

best,

amazingD
09-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I define it as the way a race is supposed to set up by looking at the styles of the runners. IE... 4 early paced horses and one closer. Advantage closer. Disadvantage to any speed horse that cant make the lead. I look thru the pps for races that set up for one horse and then play accordingly on the other horse reguadless for the most part of his ability. Usually they run way worse and his performance is enhanced.

LottaKash
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I define it as the way a race is supposed to set up by looking at the styles of the runners. IE... 4 early paced horses and one closer. Advantage closer. Disadvantage to any speed horse that cant make the lead. I look thru the pps for races that set up for one horse and then play accordingly on the other horse reguadless for the most part of his ability. Usually they run way worse and his performance is enhanced.

THX Amazing, I thought as much, but I just needed to know and be sure......thx again.......

best,