PDA

View Full Version : new Oaklawn surface?

46zilzal
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Recently heard that Oaklawn was installing a new surface. It is NOT that Poly crap I hope or there goes another friendly track down the tubes.

I recently picked up a handful of the junk and now know why many out riders wear masks as it is much akin to the material I empty from the vacuum cleaner bag and sticky too.

cj
09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Has Woodbine gone down the tubes?

46zilzal
09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Has Woodbine gone down the tubes?
Woodbine's surface is unique as far as Poly's go and if you look at their entries over the past year as compared to last, they are way down for some reason.

cj
09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I've shown countless times with data that Woodbine isn't really any different than the other polytrack surfaces. It is nearly identical to Turfway, and similar to Arlington. It is tough to judge Keeneland because they made other changes as well.

I always thought Oaklawn was hailed as having a very safe dirt surface. I wonder why the change? No link?

JeremyJet
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
I believe Oaklawn did the same thing last year. They're just trying to maintain their dirt track the best they can. :ThmbUp:

JeremyJet

Bobzilla
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I believe you're right JeremyJet. Some horses were running down back in 2007 and more than one horseman complained. Larry Jones took Hard Spun to Kentucky to train at Keeneland. Oaklawn worked on the track in preparation for 2008 and if I call correctly, horsemen, such as D. Wayne Lukas, were quite complimentary. Let's hope that this is all it is. Oaklawn doesn't need to be converted to an AWS.

46zilzal
09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I've shown countless times with data that Woodbine isn't really any different than the other polytrack surfaces. It is nearly identical to Turfway, and similar to Arlington. It is tough to judge Keeneland because they made other changes as well.

since I am evaluating the differences on completely different data, no wonder we would disagree. You are NOT the only source in racing.

cj
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
since I am evaluating the differences on completely different data, no wonder we would disagree. You are NOT the only source in racing.

It doesn't matter how you display the data, it is still the data.

JeremyJet
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe you're right JeremyJet. Some horses were running down back in 2007 and more than one horseman complained. Larry Jones took Hard Spun to Kentucky to train at Keeneland. Oaklawn worked on the track in preparation for 2008 and if I call correctly, horsemen, such as D. Wayne Lukas, were quite complimentary. Let's hope that this is all it is. Oaklawn doesn't need to be converted to an AWS.

I recall the track renovation last year cost them something like $100,000. Compare that to the cost of putting in a synthetic surface.

JeremyJet

socantra
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
There's no mention of a new surface at their site or in their newsletter. This is about the time of year they usually start turning under the summer crop of head high weeds and sunflowers.

It is my understanding that last years work was mostly readjusting the mix of soils. That may be a continuing process this year. Lucas said he rarely got his training tracks where he was completely happy with them.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-12-2008, 05:24 PM
IIRC Oaklawn cannot put in a synthetic surface, nor even add non-natural componets into their dirt track since they are located in a National Park or a Nature Preserve. That is why they have had cancellations when the track sometimes freezes in January & Februrary.

toetoe
09-12-2008, 07:00 PM
IIRC = if I recall correctly.

Toetoe just guessed. Toetoe is on FIRE. :jump:

socantra
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
IIRC Oaklawn cannot put in a synthetic surface, nor even add non-natural componets into their dirt track since they are located in a National Park or a Nature Preserve.
Thank You! That's one of the few times I can recall being greatful for restrictive zoning codes..

Toss_DeLoser
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Was at Oaklawn today to make a couple of bets at LaD. :jump: The track didn't look like it had been touched. It's sealed and sand is all you can see on top.

As far as the National Park, the Federal land starts about a mile or so north of the track and goes north from there.

Big Bike Rally going on this weekend, boy it was loud.

Pace Cap'n
09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the report. Was afraid for awhile there we were going to have to call that Dr. SwineSmeller feller.