PDA

View Full Version : Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw - Spot Play - Fastest Pace Last Race

RichieP
09-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Mike (P.A.) was very nice to expand the attachment capabilities here so I could give all of you a piece of Hat's teachings to me to have and look over at your convenience.

What follows is a specific spot play from Jim complete with past performances, pre race instructions on priming one's mind contained in a 1 hour long audio/visual presentation for you to download and save for future reference. It is complete from A-Z.

The "Hat Helpers" you will see are direct quotes from the man himself recorded by me during the 2 years I had learning from him one on one. I will never put words in that man's mouth. What you see is 100% Bradshaw for clarity.

If you consider yourself a "numbers" oriented player I think you will benefit from this thread and Jim's matchup concepts.

I use Ted Craven's RDSS software which is MY software of choice for matching horses. When you see the screens I use and what they do for ME you will see why.

I want to thank Bill Varone from Pace and Cap for hosting the hour long video that you will be able to grab and save. The video is free from any spy ware/tracking garbage that is so prevalent today.

Lastly a great big thank you to LeRoi Bradshaw for giving me her blessing to "share Jimmy" with some of you here through his teachings.

What follows is Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw's "Fastest Pace Last Race" spot play consisting of sprinters stretching out to a route distance today.

RichieP
09-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw's Fastest Pace Last Race:
http://www.paceandcap.com/Jim%20B.wmv

HEY DUDE
09-12-2008, 10:46 AM
RICHIE P,

Good video dude.

46zilzal
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Many improving winners are "hidden" in a fast paced race where they appear not able to keep up. A good angle.

BIG HIT
09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
And two miss bradshawGave it quick test 5 trk's of sat 8-23-08 had 11 plays 9 plays won in range of $ 3.00 to $27.00 not bad at all very happy with prospect's and give's different perspective of looking at race very generous of you both.May good fortune and health always be with you

Maxspa
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Richie,
Thanks for sharing the Jim Bradshaw "Spot Play" and particularly the detailed explanation in the video! Your presentation certainly pointed out the value that Ted Craven's software has when comparing the contenders!
The "Hat" would have been proud of your efforts!
Maxspa

Speed Figure
09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I love the voice, it sounds like one of the guys from goodfellas is handicapping the race. :D

shoelessjoe
09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
To give you an honest opinion I couldnt get through 20 minutes of it,there was way to much repetition.In order to keep people's attention you have to be short and get to the point as quickly as possible.I realize though you have not made too many of these videos and only practice will help.

Donnie
09-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Richie-
Thanks for sharing.
The Hat is proud of you. It appears you have begun a journey to walk further in his footsteps.
BOL to you and yours!

xtb
09-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Great stuff Richie, and your generosity is appreciated by many.

shoelessjoe
09-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Richie,Think of it like a tv show which has a beginning,middle and end.If you are too repititous in the beginning [that's the hook]you will have people tuning out before the end.

RichieP
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you for all the feedback.

I know that it IS extremely repetitive throughout the video. This was by design. This is exactly how I was taught by Hat especially at the beginning of him teaching/mentoring me.

He just kept pounding the same things to me over and over. There was NO fun and games type stuff when he was in "that zone" of his. He was very serious and would often tell me "Rich hush up and pay attention please"

Then the drill of me giving styles/pace etc to him would resume. It seemed like it never ended.

He would also move VERY quickly back and forth between the early runners like you see me doing only I have the aid of a software while he was 100% Form.

He taught QUICKLY at first sight of a race. Then he would stop abruptly and ask "do you follow Rich"? When I told him no he would IMMEDIATELY have me start with the 1 horse this time going SLOWLY giving him the styles and 1c pace of the early runners. After a pass through in this manner he would STOP the session for that day and tell me to focus on the last step he had done with me (running styles and 1c pace of true early runners).

When I asked him later on why he went so quickly and then would come back to things he had already shown me he told me it was to get me used to making SNAP or INSTANT decisions instead of "thinking too much". He told me dozens of times I would "have the horse in my head" and after thinking too darn much wound up "letting him get away".HIS words.

He would snap his fingers and by 2nd snap answers to his questions had better been forthcoming. That was Hat.

I did the best I could to replicate that process of
1) showing
2) moving to something else
3) revisit step 1 quickly
4) moving to something else
5) revisit step 1

etc etc. The parts constantly repeated (and I do mean constantly)were
1) Identifying running styles
2) Identifying early horses then their 1c pace
3) will the race be WON early or other than early

It is mind numbing but deemed very necessary by the man himself. The 3 parts above are all contained in his "5 step approach" and when folks would write him to tell of their problems he ALWAYS put them back to the repeating process of working the 5 step approach.

I hooked up a close friend of Shoeless's (Pino) for a couple of one on one sessions with Jim by telephone. Jim focused on the things above with him.

I hooked my paisan Charlie up for a couple of sessions one on one with the man by phone. Same focus on the same things.

Constantly repeating steps to acquire pattern recognition skills. One of the cornerstones of Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw's Matchup Concepts.

I'll bow out now as what I wanted to do has been done and I am sure Jim would be happy that some folks have gotten something from his work. I know I am real happy! :)

Take care and enjoy!

shoelessjoe
09-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Suit yourself but being repetitious by telephone and doing it by video are two different animals.Anyway everybody else likes it so my opinion seems to be off base I wont comment any further.

amazingD
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
YEah t hanks and I found a play from your work by accident. My software is very on when 75% the horses have the same last race distance and are now all switching to a new distance. Guess it gets a good line on the winner somehow.

amazingD
09-13-2008, 02:22 PM
HEY make some picks on this race... its almost all are going a route for the first time. AND WHY

amazingD
09-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I will take the 1 horse, my software has t he 7.

amazingD
09-13-2008, 03:05 PM
2 1 6..... no way to pick the philly park horse... for me anyway

amazingD
09-13-2008, 03:50 PM
OK play hastings race 2 for fun... same scenario I will take the 5 and so is m y software..

njcurveball
09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
:ThmbUp: Great job! Sharing like this will bring many people here to Pace Advantage. :ThmbUp:

Thanks for bringing the Hat back into our thougts!

Jim

fast4522
09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
On this I would say job well done, will it work in every race ? It does not need to. The way Richie has done by examples are easy for anyone to do in Excel and think he did a great job.

JustRalph
09-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I love the voice, it sounds like one of the guys from goodfellas is handicapping the race. :D

Speed, Dead on! sounds like Joe Pesci is doing it.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

shoelessjoe
09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Richie,Must apologize for the negative comments about the video it's just sour grapes from a wannabe baseball announcer.Since I was 7 I have been a fanatic baseball fan.I remember sitting at home with the sound down in 1958 watching my beloved Wash Senators play.I sat there with my reel to reel tape recorder and would announce the whole game.When I got to high school my speech teacher wanted to enter me in state contests but wouldnt do so because I was the class clown.Later on went to broadcasting school like an idiot instead of going to college and nothing came of that either.Now I have been stuck in the same shitty job for the last 30 years as a comissioned sales rep and saw my commission max out 12 years ago.At 57 years old where the heck am I going to go now NOWHERE.Sorry I know this has nothing to do with racing hearing about my depressing life.But if you have kids you might learn one thing here to tell them STUDY HARD SO YOU DONT END UP LIKE SHOELESS.

barn32
09-14-2008, 03:58 AM
At 57 years old where the heck am I going to go now NOWHERE.Sorry I know this has nothing to do with racing hearing about my depressing life.But if you have kids you might learn one thing here to tell them STUDY HARD SO YOU DONT END UP LIKE SHOELESS.Ray Kroc started McDonalds (http://www.evancarmichael.com/Famous-Entrepreneurs/756/summary.php) at age 52.

"I was 52 years old,” recalled Kroc. “I had diabetes and incipient arthritis. I had lost my gall bladder and most of my thyroid gland in earlier campaigns, but I was convinced that the best was ahead of me.”

I'm going to college, and I'm in my 50s. My grandmother started painting at age 76, and sold a lot of paintings. One of my neighbors is 90 and plays golf every day.

It sounds to me like you have a born loser attitude. Either buck it up and do something about your life or wallow in misery for the rest of it.

Donnie
09-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Barn-
I wrote (and then erased) 3 somewhat similar replies last night. I am 49 and am glad to know I have soooooooo much time left yet to fit soooo many other experiences into this life. Attitude and application of that attitude are so important in what we will hold up to ourselves as "success". I don't give a flying flip about what others think of me or my life. I have thought about going back to school myself, being a college dropout and all. Would think my life's experiences in the business arena would be a plus - especially since I did not have that experience back then. Good luck to you in your schooling!

Shoeless--
You have the schooling in broadcasting. Does your local high school need a Friday night football announcer? They don't use an announcer? WHY NOT?? Ours has become one of the most respected men in the community. How about a baseball announcer or basketball announcer? How about out in the smaller communities that surround where you live. They don't have an announcing system? You're in sales....sell that sponsorship to the local businesses. Only you can sell yourself and only you can close the deal. To bring this back to the thread's original intent, go ahead and try to tell Richie he can't learn anything new. I hear the age in his voice. He has the attitude. First time Jim told him to pay attention, he coulda took it all personal and puffed up and blew up and walked away. I know the attitude from the East Coasters. I married one. But Richie knows anything worth doing is worth doing well. Instead of just dreaming, he's decided to live that dream. You need to rehash those dreams and then create a path to them. BOL!!

njcurveball
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying (courtesy of the Shawshank Redemption)

shoelessjoe
09-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Donnie,Thanks very much for the sound advice.Shoeless

shoelessjoe
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
NJ,Good quote from one of my favorite movies,Morgan Freeman was terrific in it and should have won an oscar.Shoeless

Sorry about going off topic here as well I will try to refain from doing so in the future.

John
09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I did not mind Richie going over and over the same factors.When the hour was up I had a pretty clear mind-set on what Richie was trying to do.

I like the concept and appreciate Richie's effort.

Richie, I don't know why this method,Last race fastest pace can not be used at all sprint distances unless Jim, THE HAT, had another way of looking at sprints.

:) :) :)

Light
09-14-2008, 12:17 PM
The best part was when he had to interrupt his lesson because of a phone call from his mom.

BeatTheChalk
09-14-2008, 02:06 PM
NJ,Good quote from one of my favorite movies,Morgan Freeman was terrific in it and should have won an oscar.Shoeless

Sorry about going off topic here as well I will try to refain from doing so in the future.

My favorite quote was " Andy - don't you know that everybody in here
is innocent. " :D

First_Place
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Great instructional video, Richie. I respectfully disagree with Shoeless--repetition IS THE KEY to learning a new concept.

Thanks for sharing!

All the best,

FP

RichieP
09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't know why this method,Last race fastest pace can not be used at all sprint distances unless Jim, THE HAT, had another way of looking at sprints.

Hi John
It CAN be used as you wish!

Fwiw the ONLY race types Hat taught me differently were marathon distance races of 10 furlongs and longer (turf,dirt,poly).

In those races he wanted me to focus on the mile times shown (stretch call) with those longer pacelines and find the fastest horse who was closest positionally to the lead (if not on the lead) at the MILE call of the longer races. That was the horse he wanted me to focus on.

Ok

RichieP
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi John

Fwiw the ONLY race types Hat taught me differently were marathon distance races of 10 furlongs and longer (turf,dirt,poly).

In those races he wanted me to focus on the mile times shown (stretch call) with those longer pacelines and find the fastest horse who was closest positionally to the lead (if not on the lead) at the MILE call of the longer races. That was the horse he wanted me to focus on.

Ok

John
I am attaching a screen shot of a marathon race and horse. What he wanted was for me to basically stop each of the horses races shown at the stretch call and make believe the final part did not exist.

His feedback to me was to get the horse that will have the lead at the mile mark and make the others try to run you down using depleted energy reserves.

If you look at the screenshot I would stop the races shown at the "str" which as you see are all 1 mile times.Also do the same thing with the positions to the right. Stop everything at the mile mark for these long races and try to find the fastest guy at that point IGNORING the final race segment.

Hope this helps.

John
09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi John

Ok

Thanks Pasian,...I only read one book by Jim "The Hat " I had a hard time understanding . It was more me than Jim, I am not the brightest light on the tree.

What were Jim's thoughts on Polly tracks [ Breeders Cup At SA ]

shoelessjoe
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Just to clarify I have known Richie for awhile and was just giving him my honest opinion on how to make his future videos better.If he feels he did it right then that's all that matters.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Mike (P.A.) was very nice to expand the attachment capabilities here so I could give all of you a piece of Hat's teachings to me to have and look over at your convenience. You never did the attachement thing, correct? How big is the file? Or am I very confused here? If the latter, never mind....:lol:

barn32
09-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw's Fastest Pace Last Race:
http://www.paceandcap.com/Jim%20B.wmvHey, I just looked at this and it is a damn fine video! Damn fine!!

You're not that guy who rides around on a Moped are you?

RichieP
09-15-2008, 07:33 AM
You never did the attachement thing, correct? How big is the file? Or am I very confused here? If the latter, never mind....:lol:

Lol!
Morning Mike. I was going to post up the past performances that were in the video but the attachments would not go through.

To give you an idea of the size needed to post simple pp's showing tandems (which is all Hat wanted me to focus on) the size needed is shown below.

Partsnut
09-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Ritchie,

Your video was very informative.
You did a very nice job.

In order tor you to send the GIF file with the PP's
You will have to reduce the size of the file and possibly change the format to a JPEG.

You can do this with Adobe Photoshop or else you might want to create a PDF file.

I will help you if you want or need it.

Also know that I hold nothing against you or anyone.

I have to be nice to people on my birthday.

Tom
09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey, man...Happy Birthday! :ThmbUp:

John
09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Partsnuts Have a great day, 39 Right :jump:

Partsnut
09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Tom and John,

Thanks for the kind thoughts and wishes.

I've reached the good number (69).

amazingD
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Could someone put this in action so I can see first hand. I tried to post some b ut noone else did.

shoelessjoe
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Partnuts you old coot Have a Happy Birthday and thanks for being a great friend.Jeff

Niko
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks Pasian,...I only read one book by Jim "The Hat " I had a hard time understanding . It was more me than Jim, I am not the brightest light on the tree.

What were Jim's thoughts on Polly tracks [ Breeders Cup At SA ]

It's not just you. His second book was hard to decipher in some ways. Lot's of things that didn't line up regarding running style first time you go through it. I had to go to the message board to help with clarification.

Good book though, worth the read and practice.

gambler844
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for sharing
ed

shoelessjoe
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
John,By listening to old Sartin seminar tapes to me it sounded like Hat was having a difficult time explaining the match up.By talking to Richie this was something that Hat did by instinct and that's why very few have been able to master it.

By the way I might be the only one out there that thought his 1st book was better.

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2008, 04:18 AM
Lol!
Morning Mike. I was going to post up the past performances that were in the video but the attachments would not go through.

To give you an idea of the size needed to post simple pp's showing tandems (which is all Hat wanted me to focus on) the size needed is shown below.I thought you were trying to upload a PDF file....I didn't realize you were trying to upload image files....

In any event, it should work now...sorry 'bout that...

BeatTheChalk
09-18-2008, 11:04 PM
John,By listening to old Sartin seminar tapes to me it sounded like Hat was having a difficult time explaining the match up.By talking to Richie this was something that Hat did by instinct and that's why very few have been able to master it.

By the way I might be the only one out there that thought his 1st book was better.

Question from an old time Sartin Player. Question about Jimmy's
Spot Play. I must confess - Never heard about it over all of the years.
I knew he loved Early Speed ... ergo using the BEST PACE / Last Race.

May I assume that we are talking about the " Highlight " times 2nd call in Sprint and Routes. It is funny - because Jimmy loved to go back to Pyramids to grab a Pace Line :bang: :jump:
Anything else I should know about the Spot Play ? Thanks ..
Earl Sigoloff AKA Beat The Chalk

Tom
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Congratulations to Richie P. for making to the finals of the BRIS Handicapping Challenge!

No doubt, using the match up, Richie puts his money where his mouth is.
Way to go, BRO!

John
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
NIce Richie, ...Go all the way.

RichieP
11-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Congratulations to Richie P. for making to the finals of the BRIS Handicapping Challenge!

No doubt, using the match up, Richie puts his money where his mouth is.
Way to go, BRO!

Hey just wanted to follow up man. I finished 23rd today out of the 251 shooters in the Finals.

Had 3 horses cross the wire first from the 10 races:
$10.20
$15.40
$27.00

It wasn't enough as there were bombs everywhere and often :)

Still it was fun and I am fighting.
Richie