PDA

View Full Version : Help with printer?

BW~!
09-12-2008, 07:23 AM
I have an older Canon BCI-21 Inkjet printer. Recently it no longer prints documents. An error will come up in the print queue and nothing will print. I replaced the printer cable and there is plenty of ink/paper. I am using Windows XP and there have been no changes to my computer recently.

Thanks for any help.

rrbauer
09-12-2008, 10:16 AM
RU printing from Parallel port or USB port?

If USB can you switch to another port?

What happens when you have the printer turned off
and you attempt to print something? What error
message do you get?

Do you have another computer that you can use to
test printing on?

Do you have another printer that you can use to test
printing from the XP machine?

You need to isolate the error and from the information
provided there's little to suggest other than get a
better handle on the nature of the problem.

robert99
09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Some printers have a combination of keys that can print a test page with the printer completely disconnected form the printer. If it can do that, then reinstall drivers and/or try another cable.

LottaKash
09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey BW, sorry you are having this problem......When you say that nothing has changed to your computer lately, are you certain of this ?

If you go into Control panel, & printers look to see the default printer....somtimes a program will inadvertently change the default printer to another or something to that effect, especially if you have a scanner or another printer and corresponging driver.......if not, just As Robert suggested you might want to re-install the drivers for your particular printer, often that will do the trick.....If you don't have them on disk you can always go to the manufacturer and download them......

best of luck on this,

dutchboy
09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Not meant as a silly answer but the way some cords are designed they can become loose but appear to be connected just by looking at it. It has happened to me.

You may want to try turning everything off and unplug and reconnect all of your cords.

JustRalph
09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
there should be lights on the printer.

What are they "green, red, orange? "

wilderness
09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I've also seen surge protectors that are overloaded (frequently the old printer power supplys get very hot) and although the unit powers up, there is not enough voltage to run completely.

Try another plug, or even another wall.

njcurveball
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Windows can install updates behind the scenes. Some Users who got SP3 had their legacy equipment stop working.

My first check would be the Printer Driver and if there is a newer one available.

Jim

JustRalph
09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
it must not be a serious problem.........he hasn't checked back in two days

LottaKash
09-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Windows can install updates behind the scenes. Some Users who got SP3 had their legacy equipment stop working.

My first check would be the Printer Driver and if there is a newer one available.

Jim

Hey curve, you know you may be right on that one.....A couple of months ago when AT&T finalized there broadand transition after their takeover of Bellsouth, they sent me a new modem and the accompanying software......I had the darndest time trying to get it to go, in fact they sent a tech to the house and even he couldn't get it either...Then, I remembered Microsoft had just updated itself the day before, and, it turned out to be the culprit.......I deleted the updated changes, and Voila' everything worked very well as before........So, cubbee here......:jump:

best.