PDA

View Full Version : IKE !!

Marshall Bennett
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Please take a moment and say a prayer for us . We will surely need it . Thank you and may God bless !!

HUSKER55
09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Consider it done. May I suggest you "get out of Dodge".

husker55

:)

lamboguy
09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
white light going out to you and your family, along with prayers.

Tom
09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Good luck, Marshall.:ThmbUp:

Boris
09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
My mom and sister are in the area as well. Take care.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-11-2008, 09:18 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Ike's harmful way.

witchdoctor
09-11-2008, 09:32 PM
My thoughts are with you. My brother and his family live in Katy and are going to ride it out.

Growing up in Friendswood, I wonder how my old friends are doing.

lsbets
09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Are you staying down there or heading out? If you head up DFW way let me know, I've got the races on all day and wifi for you in my stores so you an cap away the storm if need be. If you stay, best of luck!

Snag
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey guy, get out while you can. You always have a place in Arlington if you need it.

I rode out Andrew in Baton Rouge and would never do that again. Ike is not as big but you are right in the rifle sites for this one. Let me know if you head this way and I'll give you direction.

RaceBookJoe
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all the people in the affected areas. Looks like a monster of a storm...last i looked it was 700 miles wide. rbj

Marshall Bennett
09-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks so much everyone . I'm about 100 miles inland on Lake Livingston and plan to stay put . Looks like Houston is in for a direct hit . Could be really bad !!

Pace Cap'n
09-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Yikes! Don't see too many Yahoo weather forecasts like this...(thank goodness)

Tomorrow: Windy with occasional showers or thundershowers. High 89F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Higher wind gusts possible,

Tomorrow night: Showery rains containing strong gusty winds and heavy downpours at times. Low 78F. ENE winds at 35 to 50 mph, increasing to 60 to 80 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near 2 inches. Higher wind gusts possible.

Saturday: Bands of heavy rain containing strong gusty winds at times. High 83F. Winds SW at 60 to 80 mph. Significant rainfall amounts possible. Higher wind gusts possible.

Sunday: Mainly cloudy and windy with heavy rain. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 70s.

ElKabong
09-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Be safe. Not too late to get outta there, but that far inland isn't as bad as 20 miles or so from the coast.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Thanks so much everyone . I'm about 100 miles inland on Lake Livingston and plan to stay put . Looks like Houston is in for a direct hit . Could be really bad !!This is a big storm...but lets all hope and pray it doesn't get any stronger...currently CAT 2 100mph winds....

BillW
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
T minus 8 hours to landfall. Surge at Galveston is at about 12 feet. The Strand (http://www.thestrand.com/) is under 4 feet of water. Over 100 high water rescues have been performed in the Galveston area already without a drop of rain falling yet.

Greyfox
09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Our prayers are with you and the other residents of your area.

Trijack
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Bill

I was wondering how you were doing. Good luck with the storm.

Jack

BillW
09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Bill

I was wondering how you were doing. Good luck with the storm.

Jack

I'm north of the city now. We'll probably get cat I wind but shouldn't be too bad.

canleakid
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
"IKE" is as big as the state of Texas, now the powers that be, are saying
"If you are still in Galveston, you face certin death" 11,000 people stayed behind ??? So if you belive in a higher power pray hard. The worse case scenario looks like it might happen, 5.2 million people without power? Houston the 4th. largest city might have major flooding!!, Hope "Ike" goes more to the
east (less people live there). Galveston Is. will be under water for sure. Any info. out there pass it on please. Marty

witchdoctor
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
"If you are still in Galveston, you face certin death" 11,000 people stayed behind ??? So if you belive in a higher power pray hard. The worse case scenario looks like it might happen, 5.2 million people without power? Houston the 4th. largest city might have major flooding!!, Hope "Ike" goes more to the
east (less people live there). Galveston Is. will be under water for sure. Any info. out there pass it on please. Marty

Hopefully history won't repeat itself. Here is the story of the Hurricane of 1900 that struck Galveston.

http://www.1900storm.com/

ezrabrooks
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM

I think the statement was "if you are in Galveston 'in a one or two story structure'..you face certain death". A bunch of reporters are riding out the storm in one of the big hotels right on the sea wall.. BTW..did you see Ike kick Geraldo's rear?

Ez

canleakid
09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
"If you are still in Galveston, you face certin death" is the quote, but I think they ment Galveston Island, that will all be under water, they belive, the high rise hotel hopefully is safe, I would not want to risk it. All of those weather people hope they get combat pay :D , but I guess it is all for the glory!!! and those ratings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canleakid
09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Officials in Galveston said as many as 40 percent of the city’s 58,000 residents ignored evacuation orders, disregarding the National Weather Service’s warning that “coastal residents refusing to evacuate face imminent and certain death.”
Several residents in low-lying areas close to the gulf told NBC News that they had initially planned to ride out the storm but that they were spooked by the warning of “imminent and certain death.”

bigmack
09-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Always a treat, and never a doubt, you'll see Geraldo in the thick of things.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/geraldo1.gif

ezrabrooks
09-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Geraldo is spinning out of control, much like the storms he is covering.. From the reporting of a man in the water in New Orleans during the last storm (was a coast guard person, in a life jacket, tied to a rescue line), the drawing in the sand of US Troop placements in Iraq...to his reporting while being pinned down by Taliban fire in Afghanistan. This guy is becoming a caricature of a Reporter..

098poi
09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
My best to you and all who are affected!!!!!!!!!

Having said that I must bitch about these MORON news people who feel obsessed with reporting all night while standing outside. WE GET IT, there are high winds, it is dangerous. Yes we like to see footage of the bending trees, hear the howling of the winds. How about setting up 10 cameras outside, well secured and just show us the storm. Part of the danger of the wind is not just air moving at 90 mph but an object moving at 90 mph like maybe a stop sign or a 2 by 4. I know there's more important things to worry about but something about it irks the hell out of me!!!!

canleakid
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Survivors beg for help as Ike ravages Texas
Major search-and-rescue operation looms after 250,000 refuse to flee
GALVESTON, Texas - Hurricane Ike crashed into densely populated southeast Texas early Saturday, battering the coast with driving rain and ferocious wind gusts as residents who decided too late they should have heeded calls to evacuate made futile calls for rescue.
But the biggest fear was that tens of thousands of people had defied orders to flee and would need to be rescued from submerged homes and neighborhoods.
“The unfortunate truth is we’re going to have to go in ... and put our people in the tough situation to save people who did not choose wisely. We’ll probably do the largest search and rescue operation that’s ever been conducted in the state of Texas,” said Andrew Barlow, spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry.
It could of been worse, still got a few months to worry about.

JustRalph
09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
If you were on Galveston Island and didn't leave............ shame on you

ElKabong
09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
have absolutely zero sympathy for those on the island that stayed and put others lives in danger. If they were fully able to get off the island and didn't heed the warning, then had to be rescued (tax $) then hopefully in the future, these people will be fined or breifly incarcerated for their lack of responsibility.

Galveston Island and the Bolivar Peninsula are two places I'd least want to be in that situation.

lsbets
09-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Had some people in the store yesterday who came up from Port Arthur. They said if people didn't evacuate and called for help, the first thing the 911 operators should do is say:

We'll be right over as soon as you give us your Visa or MC number. We take payment in advance.

Tom
09-14-2008, 11:11 AM
The heck with tax dollars - look at the risk these clods exposed first responders too. And many of them kept little children with them, real responsible.

Boris
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Pretty tough watching the beach I once hung out at totally messed up. Some fly over videos of the place.

http://www.khou.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=282706

Tom
09-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry to see, Boris.

ElKabong
09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Looking at the clip Boris linked is shocking. When i used to go to Sam Houston during their live meet i'd find some time to chill out in Gilchrest @ the Rollover. Good place to get a drink or a bite to eat, then just relax on the beach and watch the huge fish people caught. Most peaceful place on earth. Now it's history.

Boris
09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
One set of several slideshows at the Houston Chronicle's website. All equally tragic.

http://www.chron.com/news/photogallery/In_Hurricane_Ikes_Aftermath.html

To give you an idea, take a look at this before and after picture of the same piece of property.

Tom
09-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Unbelievable - look at all the missing buildings!

JustRalph
09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Texas won't lay down. They will build it better and wont' whine about it. Tougher more resistant buildings.

My wife spent a week on Galveston Island with her family last year. The house is gone now. I bet in two seasons they will be able to go back :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: