PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to My Favorite Handicapper

michiken
09-11-2008, 05:53 PM
After an 11 month battle with terminal illness, my dad passed away yesterday. I feel cursed because it was also my birthday.

I am very sad and sharing this to help the pain. He is the reason that my interest in horse racing began:

I was barely 12 years old when my Dad took me to our local track (the now closed Detroit Race Course). I remember having to fib about my age as we walked passed the attendant. I clung to my dad's arm as we walked thru the concourse while I was trying NOT act paranoid about someone discovering my true age.

We made our way to the grandstand after climbing the big circular stairway and sat down in the reserve boxes right in front of the finish line. It was just 'Me and My Dad' set for a night at the races!

We sat out in the fresh open air and Dad handed me a racing Program. He told me to pick out a 'Show' horse. I stared and stared at the numbers with no freaking clue what they meant. There were lots of times in seconds and minutes and all these funny superscripted numbers. This program had class and purse designations and Who beat Who running lines. I saw temperatures, bold numbers, jockeys, trainers, yearly records, and that was only ONE RACE! GASP!

I ended up picking the number 7 because it was my lucky number. To my amazement, my Dad placed a 2 dollar Show bet to keep me interested and I collected around 5 bucks for being lucky. Dad bought me a Hot Dog, popcorn and a Coke to celebrate. I thought this was great, FREE MONEY.

During those days I spent with him, I fell in love with the horses. As I grew older, I began to learn that there is no such thing as Free Money. handicapping involves judgment, opinion, skill, and sometimes luck in order to get your hands on those 'Free Dollars'.

I bugged my Dad to take me to the track as often as he would allow. I remember getting up for school and the first thing I would ask my Dad is if he won any money at the track the night before. Sometimes he would smile and brag about the 'Big Bear' that he won on. Other times he would just say he broke even. On those 'forgot to shave days', I was sorry that I even brought up the subject. I learned at an early age that racing is a tough game
with no guarantees, Some days are GREAT, some days are TOLERABLE and lets forget those hopelessly AWFUL ones.

I will always remember spending these times with my Favorite Handicapper!

Thanks to the members of PA who have offered kind words of support. I did the best I could taking care of him.....:(

098poi
09-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for posting. I am sorry for your loss. My best to you and your family.

delayjf
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
My condolences on your loss.

chickenhead
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Sounds like you had a great Dad, and he a great son. My condolences on his passing.

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I was relatively young (25) when my Dad passed at age 76. In the last year of his life we lived together. At times it was very frustrating (for me) but it is a year I still cherish.

Sorry for your loss.

I hope you have believe that he is in a better place.

Kind Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Boris
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
God Bless your father and his family.

toetoe
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Kenscraft,

Thanks for the post. :ThmbUp:

Pace Cap'n
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
A very touching tribute. Your dad must have been very proud of you.

Valuist
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

HUSKER55
09-11-2008, 08:36 PM
sorry to hear about your loss but you have good memories.

Tom
09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Very sorry to hear the news, my prayers go out to you and you great Father!

falconridge
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks ever so much, michiken, for sharing with us your poignant recollections of paterfilial interludes. :ThmbUp: Heartfelt condolences. :(

"No man is an island, entire of itself ... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind ... "

--John Donne, Meditation XVII from Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions

Steve 'StatMan'
09-11-2008, 09:15 PM
So sorry for the loss of your wonderful Dad, Michiken.

JustRalph
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Mich, I lived thru the same scenario. Keep your chin up!

Cherish the memories. They will be something to lean on in the future.

Five years later I still think about my Dad every time I hit a nice one!

RaceBookJoe
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Your story sounds a lot like mine, so i know what you are going through. You will be in my prayers and maybe your dad and my dad are handicapping together in another place. rbj

atonymania
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
sorry about your dad ,my condolences to your family and if you have a young son do the same thing your dad did with you.

ElKabong
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Mich,

My prayers and condolences to you and yours. Cherish the memories that your dad provided. It was truly a gift he gave that you can carry thru life.

NJ Stinks
09-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Mich, I lived thru the same scenario. Keep your chin up!

Cherish the memories. They will be something to lean on in the future.

Five years later I still think about my Dad every time I hit a nice one!

That's the truth, JustRalph. :ThmbUp:

Michiken, I am very sorry for your loss.

boomman
09-12-2008, 12:46 AM
A very touching tribute, and I can definitely relate as I just lost my dad on May 20 of this year...............

Boomer

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2008, 04:15 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss Michiken...letting all those wonderful memories of sharing your love of this game with you Dad flood back into your consciousness will surely help ease your pain a bit....

Hosshead
09-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Michiken, thanks for sharing you ups and your downs about your dad.
You were lucky to have had him for those fast elapsing years.. we call a lifetime.

cmoore
09-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad..My Dad passed away in Jan of 2005. Every Sunday was our day at the track. You said your Dad died on your birthday. It's not a curse..You can celebrate your day and the memories you both shared.

canleakid
09-12-2008, 10:36 PM
You have my condolences, my dad died on the Ides of March, ironic one of my
favorite books, I had to give the word to pull the plug, it is still hard for me to talk about it. But I know your dad is very proud of you!!!!!,thanks for telling
us your story. Marty

michiken
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
To all of you who expressed kind words, I offer a heart felt thank you.

My dad is no longer suffering and is in a better place.

Time will heal the loss.

so.cal.fan
09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Michikin:

I lost my dad in 1991. He passed in Arcadia after a year's battle with cancer, the night he died we had both been having a bad streak at Santa Anita betting, I remember asking him "Dad, will we ever cash another ticket at Santa Anita"? He laughed and assured me I would. He knew he was leaving that night.
He got me interested in horseracing in 1961, although he had taken me to Santa Anita as a small child in the late 1940's.
Dad loved Santa Anita. I can always feel his presence there in the paddock to this day.
Please make a new ritual of always celebrating your birthday by attending the races! Celebrate your dad's life and the precious gift he gave you!
God Bless, friend.