PDA

View Full Version : Frank Amonte Sr.

cj's dad
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Watching TVG this afternnon, 1st race had a jockey I've never heard as I don't follow that track. This guy is 73 years old. What a guy.

I don't care what his record is; what a guy:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cj's dad
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
At Suffolk Downs:blush:

BombsAway Bob
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM
He last won a race @ Northampton Fair one day shy of his 70th Birthday,
& has been trying to get that elusive +70Yr.-old-win for the record books!

bigmack
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Nice little piece on the old goat

http://www.globalaging.org/elderrights/us/2007/fame.htm

point given
09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
i got to see and give a shout out to him a couple of years ago at Monmouth. It all sounds neat until i saw him ride in the race; then i got concerned for his and the other jocks safety. It wasn't a pretty ride, i wish he would act his age and let it go

cj's dad
09-10-2008, 07:38 PM
After I heard that he was 73, I payed attention to him in the race and he looked more than a step slow as far as reaction time goes. He ran 3rd. As one who pays little to no attention to jocks, had I known of the age factor he would not have been on my ticket. Similar thinking today at Monmouth (2nd) where a race (turf @ 1 1/16) was run with amatuer jocks carrying from 139 to 144 lbs. What is the point in that ??? I'm sure the horses were, as Looney would say "thrilled to pieces".
i got to see and give a shout out to him a couple of years ago at Monmouth. It all sounds neat until i saw him ride in the race; then i got concerned for his and the other jocks safety. It wasn't a pretty ride, i wish he would act his age and let it go

point given
09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Similar thinking today at Monmouth (2nd) where a race (turf @ 1 1/16) was run with amatuer jocks carrying from 139 to 144 lbs. What is the point in that ??? I'm sure the horses were, as Looney would say "thrilled to pieces".

I know,i was ontrack today and I wondered about the funny names of the jocks and big weight, then the race was taken off the turf and screwed up all that careful handicapping, :blush: Maybe 300-500 people on track, who says horseracing is dead.:rolleyes: More trainers,agents and owners in the paddock area than customers.

njcurveball
09-10-2008, 08:06 PM
After I heard that he was 73, I payed attention to him in the race and he looked more than a step slow as far as reaction time goes.

Tough crowd here! He takes an 18-1 shot out of the gate to force the pace of the 2nd choice and then holds on for 3rd getting beat by the other 2 choices.

I am missing the part where he was a "step slow" in this race? The horses last 3 races he was 7th, 6th, and 9th at the first call. This may have been his best ride of the last decade. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Seriously, I may have looked at the wrong guy- I was ironing at the time; bout 15" away.:blush: Tough crowd here! He takes an 18-1 shot out of the gate to force the pace of the 2nd choice and then holds on for 3rd getting beat by the other 2 choices.

I am missing the part where he was a "step slow" in this race? The horses last 3 races he was 7th, 6th, and 9th at the first call. This may have been his best ride of the last decade. :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Seriously, I may have looked at the wrong guy-

I don't know how you missed him, he had a whip in one hand and a cane in the other. :D

I agree he SHOULD NOT be riding, but your timing was a lil off with this horse. If you check out the August 9th race, your call was spot on! :ThmbUp: