PDA

View Full Version : I'll sell you a bridge

46zilzal
09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Palin "bridge to nowhere" line angers many Alaskans

By Yereth Rosen / Reuters

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - It garnered big applause in her first speech as Republican John McCain's vice presidential pick, but Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's assertion that she rejected Congressional funds for the so-called "bridge to nowhere" has upset many Alaskans.

During her first speech after being named as McCain's surprise pick as a running mate, Palin said she had told Congress "'thanks but no thanks' on that bridge to nowhere."

In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor.

46zilzal
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
from Wikipedia: During her campaign for Governor, Sarah Palin visited Ketchikan in September of 2006 to address her support for the Gravina Island Bridge project. At a forum in Ketchikan, Palin was seen holding up a t-shirt designed by a Ketchikan artist, Mary Ida Henrikson with "Nowhere Alaska 99901" on it, referencing the buzzword of Bridge to 'Nowhere', and the primary zip code of Ketchikan, Alaska. At the same forum, she was quoted: "OK, you’ve got Valley trash standing here in the middle of nowhere,” Palin said. “I think we’re going to make a good team as we progress that bridge project."

Anchorage Newspaper:http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/511471.html

Greyfox
09-09-2008, 11:54 PM
In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor.

You've been :sleeping: sleeping at the switch on this post 46zilzal.
Your ground shaking NEWS here is a Dead Issue. :sleeping:

bigmack
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
You've been :sleeping: sleeping at the switch on this post 46zilzal.
Your ground shaking NEWS here is a Dead Issue. :sleeping:
Next he's gonna tell us that Dewey beat Truman.

Don't bother him too much GF, he has a certain amount of cutting & pasting to meet his quota each week, irrespective of the relevance.

ArlJim78
09-10-2008, 01:48 AM
glad to see that Reuters has now weighed in on this old issue.

lsbets
09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
What confuses me is this site:

http://www.retireted.com/category/real-estate/gravina-bridge/

which is from the Alaska Dem Party. It talks about the bridge, says Palin once supported it, but after becoming governor killed the project. That doesn't match what all the other Dems have been saying.

"The Gravina Island Bridge initially received $223 million in 2005 via earmarks by Alaska Senators Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski. The bridge would have connected Ketchikan, Alaska with its local airport on nearby Gravina Island (population 50). Congress stripped the earmark after a national uproar about it but appropriated the money anyway for unspecified transportation uses. Former Gov. Frank Murkowski’s administration set aside about $113 million of the appropriation for the Ketchikan bridge. However, Gov. Sarah Palin said the $398 million bridge was $329 million short of full funding, and only $36 million in federal funds were set aside for it. She said it was clear Congress had little interest in spending any more money for it and that the state had higher priorities."

rastajenk
09-10-2008, 07:00 AM
The Dems would have you believe this is one of those classic "I was for it before I was against it" situations that they're always getting stuck in. It is not. All Senators can ever do is be for something or against something. The governor actually did something about it, which plays back into the executive experience angle. It also goes back to why Senators get beat by governors so often, I think. Deeds, not words.

RichieP
09-10-2008, 07:20 AM
All Senators can ever do is be for something or against something. The governor actually did something about it, which plays back into the executive experience angle. It also goes back to why Senators get beat by governors so often, I think. Deeds, not words.

Sharp post Rasta :ThmbUp: