PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a CDL ?

JustRalph
09-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I know our resident Truck Driver has one, but I am wondering if anybody has any comments on obtaining one.

I am pursuing a position where a CDL would "come in handy" and may lead to other opportunities..........for advancement.............

any advice on obtaining a CDL would be appreciated.

pktruckdriver
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
JustRalph

Yes I have a CDL, and can give you a few ideas about getting your CDL.

1. Are the "Puppy Mills ", schools, they take about 3 weeks and almost guarantee that you will pass, just look in the yellow pages, or the local newspaper also. Normally about 3000 grand or more

2. The best way to learn is normally a community or technical college that takes about 12 to 26 weeks to teach you, and normally cost less, around 2 grand or less.

If you have more questions just ask.

Patrick

skate
09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
JustlyRalph;

you are a little Elusive there JR.

Many variants to truck driving.

The turn over rate is well above 100%, most likely, that's why the job opens, but hey, good luck.

Pay rate is fantastic, you'll make the same as the drivers did some 25 years ago, cept you'll have another 20 per week to deal with.
Oh oh oh, say goodbye to your family, but you'll have lots of sitting time to post away the days.

Are you lost?

Pace Cap'n
09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Somehow I suspect you aren't going cross-country in the big rigs.

For light vehicles, say under 24,000 lbs., it can be as simple as taking a written test. A thorough study of the manual the night before should be sufficient to pass.

Requirements also vary by state. A visit to the local license bureau will provide the necessary information and and study materials.

JustRalph
09-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Somehow I suspect you aren't going cross-country in the big rigs.

nope, it's a management job.........but a CDL can help.......... along with a pilot's certificate....... I have a pilot's cert already......... just considering a CDL to sweeten the resume............