PDA

View Full Version : Ray Taulbot

shoelessjoe
09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
A really great friend of mine who didnt know how to pick a paceline to save his life and would use Sartin computer programs has really turned it around since studying Taulbot's lessons.He now uses only the racing form using Taulbot and CJ'S numbers.Now he is hitting winners and exactas all over the place.I really have to hand it to him for turning his game around.

classhandicapper
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
IMHO, The old Ray Talbout books were way ahead of their time. You can look at them now and see how the time charts were flawed etc... but conceptually it was very good stuff. I'm still pissed that somewhere along the line I lost mine because I would love to re-read it. He doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves.

shoelessjoe
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Class,Your right when I was reading some of Sartin's material quite a bit seems to have taken from Taulbot which was written in the 50's.Get in touch with me maybe I can help you out.Jeff

Tom Barrister
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
If I remember correctly, Taulbot's main flaw was using parallel time charts. His ideas were good.

shoelessjoe
09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Im not sure if my friend uses those or not hopefully he will post here and explain how he goes about using Taulbot's ideas.

Cratos
09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
If I remember correctly, Taulbot's main flaw was using parallel time charts. His ideas were good.

IMHO Ray Taulbot ranks equal with the legendary Phil Bull in terms of advancing handicapping methodologies.

shoelessjoe
09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Most people when they think of Taulbot they associate him with angles but he had quite of bit of pace theroies also.

098poi
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's a link to a bunch of his articles

http://www.winsports.com/pace/rayarticles.cfm

LottaKash
09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Here's a link to a bunch of his articles

http://www.winsports.com/pace/rayarticles.cfm

Thx for the head's up on this guy.......I have never read the author, but thru the many years of reading articles and books, my perception is that Taulbot had a great infulence on many successful authors and handicappers....as well as yesteryear......

best,

trying2win
09-08-2008, 01:57 AM
IMHO Ray Taulbot ranks equal with the legendary Phil Bull in terms of advancing handicapping methodologies.

I can remember reading some of Ray Taulbot's handicapping materials many years ago.

As for the 'legendary' Phil Bull, I've never heard of him. Does anyone know what some of his outstanding handicapping contributions were?

T2W

llegend39
09-08-2008, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=trying2win]I can remember reading some of Ray Taulbot's handicapping materials many years ago.

As for the 'legendary' Phil Bull, I've never heard of him. Does anyone know what some of his outstanding handicapping contributions were?

Heres a link to some of his works:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Phil+Bull+&title=&lang=en&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

Didnt see much on handicapping

46zilzal
09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Before all of them, there was R.T. promoting pace is the race. I still have his pace calculator. All these years later and he is still right.

Tom Barrister
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I can remember reading some of Ray Taulbot's handicapping materials many years ago.

T2W

Bull was the founder of Timeform, a U.K.-based service which uses Beyer-like figures to rate horses by both performance and time. Betfair bought Timeform a couple of years ago.

BlueShoe
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Somwhere buried deep inside a box of my old junk is Rays Pace Calculator.Believe I payed 20 bucks for it back in the early 60's.While it is way outdated and crude by modern standards,back then it was pretty good.An elderly gent that is pushing 90 that sometimes still goes to the track,tells me that he still uses his,says that it keeps him organized.