PDA

View Full Version : XP and s.p.3

sammy the sage
09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
have heard that s.p.3 has more problems than worth...true or false?

if so what are they?

or should I just not install it?

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I have installed it on all my XP machines and have seen no problems (that weren't there before).

robert99
09-07-2008, 12:25 PM
SP3 is really just a collection of updates you may already have in SP2.
No useful features are added. If SP2 is up to date it is a waste of time.
Biggest problem is that any anti-virus or other non MS protection you have running in browser or on system may corrupt the download. Once it is corrupted then it is not straightforward to remove and start over again. How MS have got to this state I don't know - it gets worse every month.

dutchboy
09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
There is a problem with xp sp3 and the IE8 beta browser. If you install in the wrong order it may ruin your day.

If interested type "xp sp3 and IE8" in a Google search and read the articles.

LottaKash
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
There is a problem with xp sp3 and the IE8 beta browser. If you install in the wrong order it may ruin your day.

If interested type "xp sp3 and IE8" in a Google search and read the articles.

THX all for the heads up on this wp sp3 thing.......My machine is running just fine, so based on what is being written here, I will delay or not install sp3 at all...Maybe when they fix the bugs that fixes the bugs.....haha.........:jump:

best.

robert99
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Some SP3 issues listed from Windows Secrets

"Here are the most glaring SP3-related problems:

• Internet connectivity fails when using black hole routers, which drop packets (Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 314825).

• False positives are generated by Norton Internet Security and other security applications .

• Device Manager settings go missing, especially in connection with using Norton Antivirus ( KB 953791).

• Repeated rebooting occurs on machines using an AMD processor (KB 953356)."

• You can't install any new updates (see KB 943144).

• Third-party visual styles encounter problems

LottaKash
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Some SP3 issues listed from Windows Secrets

"Here are the most glaring SP3-related problems:

• Internet connectivity fails when using black hole routers, which drop packets (Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 314825).

• False positives are generated by Norton Internet Security and other security applications .

• Device Manager settings go missing, especially in connection with using Norton Antivirus ( KB 953791).

• Repeated rebooting occurs on machines using an AMD processor (KB 953356)."

• You can't install any new updates (see KB 943144).

• Third-party visual styles encounter problems

Yikes !.....What a mess.......:D

OverlayHunter
10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
When Microsoft sends updates such as SP3, what is the correct procedure to delete them without accidentally installing them?

LottaKash
10-09-2008, 01:16 PM
When Microsoft sends updates such as SP3, what is the correct procedure to delete them without accidentally installing them?

Me personally, until I hear that MS has fixed the fixes that SP3 is supposed to have done, I have turned OFF my automatic updates, and do not go looking for any more trouble........So far everything is running along fine and dandy, and I am quite happy with XP-sp2 and it's components.....

best,

OverlayHunter
10-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reply LottaKash, unfortunately it's already been automatically downloaded so I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

LottaKash
10-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey Overlay, if it is not too late to do so.........If you want to get rid of that autonmatiic update....Just go into Add-Remove Programs and look at Window updates and check the date of the of the update....and hit the Remove button and windows will resort back to it's former self and where it was before the automatic update took over........As a safeguard tho, I would use the system restore function and create a new restore point before removing the new automatic update......In fact I often do this before I install any new software....It's like making a place wager on your sure-thing.......:jump:

There is a nifty program called "Advanced Windows Care" from Iobit.com.....It is a valuable littlle and unobtrusive program that addresses about 10 or 11 different processes that are used by windows, ONe of them is a quick and easy way to create Resore points, I use it almost daily these days.....It also features Spyware removal, Security defense, Registry fixes, System Optimization, Startup Manage, Privacy sweeps, and Junk Files Clean, AND ALL THIS at the touch of ONE button at that......It Is Free......also their file defragmenter program is quick and deadly as well...Highly recommend these products....They are effective and very safe to use.......

best......

robert99
10-10-2008, 05:37 AM
More details here:

How to remove sp3 download file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

or

Hide Windows Update
To hide an update, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click either Windows Update or Microsoft
Update.
2. Click Custom.
3. Click to clear the check box that is next to the update that you want to hide.
4. Expand the update that you want to hide, and then click the "Don't show this update
again" check box.
5. Click Review and install updates.

Remove WU downloads from the temporary folder:-

Stop the Automatic Updates service

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Delete the contents of the Download folder
Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
Click OK.
Open the Download folder.
Delete all contents of the Download folder.
Close the window.

Start the Automatic Updates service
Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

By deleting the contents of the Download folder - you have removed any downloaded updates.

OverlayHunter
10-10-2008, 06:25 AM
To Lotta and robert - WOW!! Thank you, thank you. I greatly appreciate the thoughtful and most helpful responses.