PDA

View Full Version : A Hottie Version of Maggie Thatcher?

JustRalph
09-06-2008, 05:09 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/fergus_shanahan/article1647092.ece

I have seen some comments online that Palin is the "next Margaret Thatcher" and this article from the UK is asking why there aren't any Palin's in Britain.
The writer uses the Palin issue to go after some Brits pretty hard.

You gotta admit she sure has made this election more fun. Win or Lose, I can't wait to see what the future holds for her...........Maggie Thatcher leaves some pretty big shoes to fill.............but being compared to Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher can't be all bad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/republicans/2683692/Sarah-Palin-is-the-new-Margaret-Thatcher-and-Ronald-Reagan.html

From the article:
She spoke to America as one working mum to another. She cracked good jokes.

Showing steel beneath her magnolia jacket, she slaughtered Obama’s lack of experience, his vanity, his emptiness beneath the windy waffle.

It was the most powerful demolition of the Democrat hero I have heard in two weeks on the US election trail.

The wagons have been drawn up and the Republicans are ready for battle.

The McCain-Palin ticket now looks in exciting shape. A war hero and a heroic mum. Experience and optimism.

And when McCain joined the Palin gang — babies and boyfriends and all — on stage after her speech, there was a sense of cheeky fun absent from Obama’s solemn coronation.

How the Democrats must be regretting Hillary isn’t running with Obama. Barack’s sidekick, Joe Biden, looks a dull old dog compared with the ball of fire that is Palin.

One blogger described her as "Margaret Thatcher with five kids and a Klondike drawl" while Jonah Goldberg of the conservative "National Review" enthused: "She was put on this earth to do two things: kill caribou and kick butt. She's all out of caribou."

equicom
09-06-2008, 05:23 AM
You'd better hope not. Maggie was not very popular with the Brits, especially in the north.

JBmadera
09-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Just can't picture Sarah America as the next Maggie - she's just too darn cute. Which is the only thing my father and I have agreed upon in the past 40 years....:jump:

OTM Al
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Re: Title of this thread

This, I think is exactly what they want people to think. I don't believe any of it for a second. We'll see how well they really can snow the American people with this choice. I didn't think Joe Biden was a great choice for Obama, but at least he brings foreign policy experience to the table. Palin brings nothing except her "hottieness" that could not have been brought by far better candidates, and I'm sure there were some other women in there. In the end I'm thinking she ends up doing far more damage to the ticket than assists it, but that's assuming the men out there do their thinking with their big head rather than their little ones, and maybe that's too much a stretch

JustRalph
09-06-2008, 07:54 AM

This, I think is exactly what they want people to think. I don't believe any of it for a second. We'll see how well they really can snow the American people with this choice. I didn't think Joe Biden was a great choice for Obama, but at least he brings foreign policy experience to the table. Palin brings nothing except her "hottieness" that could not have been brought by far better candidates, and I'm sure there were some other women in there. In the end I'm thinking she ends up doing far more damage to the ticket than assists it, but that's assuming the men out there do their thinking with their big head rather than their little ones, and maybe that's too much a stretch

Yeah, she sure proved she was an empty suit the other night. :lol: :bang:

OTM Al
09-06-2008, 09:45 AM
She's proved nothing. It was a crafted speech to the coverted. Enough wasn't known about her at the time for any reasonable comment. Her credentials, if that really mattered given the focus on Obama's, are very very weak. Her words and actions in the next two months will show what she is made of, especially in light of the ongoing ethics investigation she is under.

boxcar
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
She's proved nothing. It was a crafted speech to the coverted.

Wake up from your pipe dream. I've had a few "apolitical" and left leaning people tell me how impressed they were with her. She connected with more than just the "converted". And you know why she connected? The main reason is because she didn't come off as an arrogant, condescending, elitist snob, as so many left-wingers are prone to do.

Boxcar

Tom
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, she sure proved she was an empty suit the other night. :lol: :bang:

One thing she is NOT is an empty suit! :blush:;)

OTM Al
09-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Wake up from your pipe dream. I've had a few "apolitical" and left leaning people tell me how impressed they were with her. She connected with more than just the "converted". And you know why she connected? The main reason is because she didn't come off as an arrogant, condescending, elitist snob, as so many left-wingers are prone to do.

Boxcar

Speeches do not impress me. Actions do. Nothing I've seen or read of her actions impress me in the least bit. A few things I find very concerning. I still believe Mr. McCain could have chosen far better. I was considering him for my vote, but now I don't think so.

boxcar
09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Speeches do not impress me. Actions do. Nothing I've seen or read of her actions impress me in the least bit. A few things I find very concerning. I still believe Mr. McCain could have chosen far better. I was considering him for my vote, but now I don't think so.

So, who in this race does impress you -- and why?

Boxcar

boxcar
09-06-2008, 12:50 PM
One thing she is NOT is an empty suit! :blush:;)

She fills her skirts out nicely, too. :jump:

Boxcar

toetoe
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Al,

I agree speeches are next to useless, except for manipulative purposes. The better the speech, the harder I cling to my wallet. I'm sure you'll agree that in this regard, BHO is terrifying to a freethinker.

OTM Al
09-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Both candidates impress me.

Mr. McCain has a very good record. He was willing to do things the way he felt they should be done. He has what the Romans would have called "dignitas". Simple enough to translate the basic meaning of that word. I was feeling up to a couple weeks ago, if elected he would do a fine job. I don't think he's another George Bush, who I personally feel by the end of my lifetime will be considered one of the least effective presidents of all time. I now feel though that he is unfortunately abandoning his own principles to fall in lockstep with the far right, which has always been a small but extremely vocal part of the Republican Party. This is the one thing that I will give President Reagan credit for that he never allowed himself to be pushed around by that section of the party. Have my differences with a lot of thing that man did, but that I will respect him for. So in summation, McCain is a quality candidate. I believe out of all those that ran this year the Republicans picked the best man

Mr. Obama I am impressed by because of how quickly he rose through the ranks of his party. He is a very charismatic man, which I feel is a very important quality for a President. Reagan and Clinton both had it. GWB does not. (btw I actually do believe GW is probably a decent and caring guy, I just think he's a lousy president). His record is of course not as distinguished as Mr. McCain's but then I really don't think anyone is really qualified to be president before they come into that office. I think he can be a uniter for this country because frankly I think our biggest problem right now is that we spend too much time fighting ourselves rather than the problems in this world. I think he would also do a fine job as president. As a politician, I actually think Hillary was a better candidate, but I think both are far better than what the Democratic party trotted out the last 2 times.

Mr. Biden is a distinguished politician with plenty of foreign policy experience. While I do think the man has some honesty problems, because of his qualifications, he was probably the best fit available to fill that void for the Democrats considering that the only other one out there with that much foreign policy experience, Richard Lugar, is a Republican. Much less respect for him, but I think as good a choice as was available.

Ms. Palin I am just introducing myself to and I don't like what I've seen, so since you seem to like her so much, why don't you fill me in why I should be impressed with her

wonatthewire1
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
The "govt jet" sold on ebay for a profit is not the truth...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/06/politics/animal/main4422397.shtml

Sounded a bit like a BS story and if it smells like BS it is BS

bigmack
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/06/politics/animal/main4422397.shtml

Sounded a bit like a BS story and if it smells like BS it is BS
Go back and pay attention to what she said in the speech.

These momo's picking tid bits off .org sites is soooooooooo boring.

They live in this world where they think Harry & Gladys sit in Peoria and say: "Harry, look here; she lied about the plane being sold on Ebay. She's a liar. We better vote for Obomba." :lol:

wonatthewire1
09-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Go back and pay attention to what she said in the speech.

These momo's picking tid bits off .org sites is soooooooooo boring.

They live in this world where they think Harry & Gladys sit in Peoria and say: "Harry, look here; she lied about the plane being sold on Ebay. She's a liar. We better vote for Obomba." :lol:

Where are the .org links in the story...

I was playing Woodbine and Penn turf on Weds - didn't see the speech - can't comment on that...I asked JR what he thought of it - as he's been following the campaign...

You see to really do have a difficult time reading!

:)

bigmack
09-06-2008, 08:22 PM
You see to really do have a difficult time reading! :)
I guess we both struggle, as typing is not exactly a forte for ya. Or is it grammar?

I don't mean to pick on you (then again, maybe I do) but your posts in this off-top arena are juvenile. Could ya step it up a bit and leave a better impression of yourself?

toetoe
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Not Grammar. I blame Gramper ... which reminds me, I have to go out and buy some Grampers, aka diapers. :D

wonatthewire1
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess we both struggle, as typing is not exactly a forte for ya. Or is it grammar?

I don't mean to pick on you (then again, maybe I do) but your posts in this off-top arena are juvenile. Could ya step it up a bit and leave a better impression of yourself?

I bow before thee, oh arbiter of all that is mature and sensible! I don't see how anyone would be able to discuss anything with you considering your immeasurable intellect...

Do you have any more thoughts of posting the Einstein footwear pictures that add so much to any sort of discussion (seem to be ignored for the most part)? You know the ones that show your immense genius and colossal sense of humor?

Or perhaps, doing a little bit of digging to get a clearer picture of where the country is headed? Do you think that it is going in the right direction? And if not, what would your immeasurable intellect suggest? Do you anticipate anything that either of the “parties” is coming up with thus far to make a measurable impact?

Perhaps some more time in the Getty picture gallery will sooth it all out…

bigmack
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Not Grammar. I blame Gramper ... which reminds me, I have to go out and buy some Grampers, aka diapers. :D
toetoelicous - Now you can be active and still be as incontinent as your *** desires.
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/9256

bigmack
09-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Do you have any more thoughts of posting the Einstein footwear pictures that add so much to any sort of discussion
Hey, that was some nice levity. Footwear blunder humor ain't easy to come by. :lol: I dint look for a photo to fit my message. I bumped into the photo and the line slipped trippingly off the (keyboard)

You & hcap aren't related are you? Somehow, the teat you suck on looks familiar to the one he does.

hcap
09-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey BM, some of your "teats" really suck.

Using Einsteins' photo shopped (maybe?) image at the beach with open toes, does make us wonder what teat you were sucking on when you took one of the most brilliant men of our time, and disqualified him from any serious consideration in any philosophical discussion, for supposingly poor choice in footware.

If that's the case, this would automatically remove this guy from any discussion of weighty matters-except tap dancing.

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/images/bush_dance.jpg

Or African dance

http://srbissette.com/uploaded_images/BushDance-798650.jpg

BTW, no photo-shopping required. Please feel free to suck deeply on these tits.

wonatthewire1
09-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Hey, that was some nice levity. Footwear blunder humor ain't easy to come by. :lol: I dint look for a photo to fit my message. I bumped into the photo and the line slipped trippingly off the (keyboard)

You & hcap aren't related are you? Somehow, the teat you suck on looks familiar to the one he does.

And look, didn't have a single suggestion for all of those questions posed!

Empty-suit, you should throw your hat in the ring for some votes!

And since you made the suggestion above, show even the slightest correlation to anything that Hcap and I have posted...

Enjoy your day!

oddsmaven
09-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Both candidates impress me.

Al - Your full comments were insightful and glad to see someone willing to say something favorable instead of the all too easy "all the politicians suck"...I do disagree with you that Obama is better than the last two...I believe Gore was/is better than you think...I am going with Obama though he wasn't my favorite candidate to get the nomination...what I often hear from the right wingers is that he is the worst phoney, terribly arrogant, naive, has horrible judgement, ruinous positions and far worse...I have watched the man a number of times on Meet The Press, debates, etc. and give him the credit you did...I'd like more experience and for him to lean a little more to the center, though he is no extremist as the wild-eyed yahoos claim.

I like Mccain but don't want the type of supreme court appointments he'd make, nor do his foreign policy views sit well with me...he is a man of terrific character, though...like you I don't admire his VP choice (and was surprised to see someone's post here boost her while saying he didn't like condescending types which was her speech is a nutshell and much surprising for a novice to act so haughty)...I held my nose and voted for the 1st Bush when he gave us Quayle and this one didn't change my pick, but Mccain had no business selecting a neophyte with little time left to vet her properly.

Anyway I hope Obama will win & can unite, which I agree we need, but am not holding out too much hope that he will get far in that regard - but am sure he will change the atmosphere to a better level than what he'd be inheriting.

toetoe
09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
mack,

A bit of the ... erm, milk of human kindness, please. Your bressage came through loud and clear, though, bra.

I lost track of the thread, but someone posted somewhere that figures are an art, not a science. I was dying to ask mack or anyone else to post photographic proof of the art of "figgers," as we say it in J.O.E.

boxcar
09-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Realizing how some people hate putting a fine point on things -- nevertheless, can you point us to the exact quote to where she said she sold the jet on ebay?

Thanks,
Boxcar

JustRalph
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
She said she "put it up on ebay" she didn't say she sold it there. It did sell through a broker though...........after the ebay sale didn't hit the reserve.

Tom
09-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Good point Ralph. Funny how people got so hung up over that comment yet ave Michelle my Belle a total pass when you dissed the country, or Barry's hate-mongering reverend when he GD'd America. The angry left are scared of Sara....like she was Sara Conner or something. (premier Monday!)

JustRalph
09-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Good point Ralph. Funny how people got so hung up over that comment yet ave Michelle my Belle a total pass when you dissed the country, or Barry's hate-mongering reverend when he GD'd America. The angry left are scared of Sara....like she was Sara Conner or something. (premier Monday!)

have you seen this picture of palin? :lol:

http://innergeekdom.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/sarah-connor.jpg

Boris
09-07-2008, 05:51 PM
have you seen this picture of palin? :lol:

http://innergeekdom.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/sarah-connor.jpg

Schwing!!

Tom
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Raise you..... http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/archive/2008/09/02/real-or-fake-nude-sarah-palin-photo.aspx

hcap
09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Realizing how some people hate putting a fine point on things -- nevertheless, can you point us to the exact quote to where she said she sold the jet on ebay?

Thanks,
Boxcar

McSame said it. Somewhat worse. I wonder where he got it?

"You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor and sold it on eBay -- and made a profit!"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/05/plane_not_sold_on_ebay.html

I guess you guys should vote for Palin only

boxcar
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
McSame said it. Somewhat worse. I wonder where he got it?

"You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor and sold it on eBay -- and made a profit!"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/05/plane_not_sold_on_ebay.html

I guess you guys should vote for Palin only

So, what the heck is the big deal? McCain extrapolated Palin's "I put it on ebay" remark and thought she sold it. She never said, however, that she sold it there or even made a profit.

These kinds of honest slip ups or misunderstandings over some remark that doesn't quite qualify as policy, security or ethically-related is really front page, scandalous stuff, isn't it, 'Cap? You left-wing extremists are a pathetic bunch of losers.

Boxcar
P.S. I can't wait until she mixes it up with Bumbling Boozer Biden It'll be no contest! He'll never know what hit him!

Tom
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Talk about reaching! :lol::lol::lol:

Compare to this fool....

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2008, 10:18 PM

This, I think is exactly what they want people to think. I don't believe any of it for a second. We'll see how well they really can snow the American people with this choice. I didn't think Joe Biden was a great choice for Obama, but at least he brings foreign policy experience to the table. Palin brings nothing except her "hottieness" that could not have been brought by far better candidates, and I'm sure there were some other women in there. In the end I'm thinking she ends up doing far more damage to the ticket than assists it, but that's assuming the men out there do their thinking with their big head rather than their little ones, and maybe that's too much a stretchI'm shockingly disappointed by this reply. And if I were a woman, I'm sure I'd be much more offended as well.

Exactly how much foreign policy experience did Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter bring to the table? Or George W. Bush...or Ronald Reagan, or any governor that has been elected President in recent times.

And remember....we're talking about a VICE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE here....not a PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE....

Exactly how much foreign policy experience does Obama bring to the table Al? Oh yeah, he did make a trip overseas....but so did Palin....

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Mr. Obama I am impressed by because of how quickly he rose through the ranks of his party. He is a very charismatic man, which I feel is a very important quality for a President.Your quote here concerning Obama (and the rest that followed) seems to not jibe very well with your Palin remarks earlier, especially considering Obama is running for the top dog spot, while Palin is running for runner-up. Don't you think your Obama comments and your Palin comments in this thread are at the very least a tad incongruent?

OTM Al
09-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't think they are inconguent at all.

First off I realize that she is a VP candidate. However, when the presidential candidate is 72 years old and for a couple of those years underwent severe physical and mental torture I am much more concerned about who the VP will be than I normally would be. Frankly, in many cases the VP generally is irrelevant.

Frankly though I feel that the choice of her was a choice of image over substance. Since the candidate was an old white male and he was opposing a much younger man of color, I believe they felt the need to choose somebody that wasn't an old white male. Further, they saw the wavering of many female democrats with Hillary's loss, so the choice of a female candidate was one that could sway over some of these voters. Finally, she is attractive looking. Just look at how many articles cite her looks and see how well that one worked. The choice itself for those factors makes sense. My point though is that when the candidate is as old and has had as rough a life as Mr. McCain, I would prefer some substance over image for the VP office. If he was 20 years younger, I probably wouldn't worry about it so much.

Further, calling Obama charismatic is not the same as calling him attractive. To make an extreme example, Hitler was an extremely charasmatic leader, but he wasn't about to win any beauty contests. No candidate for the office has ever been truly prepared for the office and none could possibly have expertise in all areas. That's why they have cabinets to advise them and hopefully the president is smart enough to pick intelligent objective cabinet members that will not just tell him what they think he wants to hear. Yes, Obama is weak in the foreign policy department. He clearly recognized that need by selecting Biden, who as I said I don't feel is all that ideal either, but at least it addresses a need. What need of McCain's did Mrs. Palin address?

Before the choice of Mrs. Palin, I felt that either of the candidates could do a good job. The choice of her though really made me question Mr. McCain's motivations. Which is the entire point of the post.

JustRalph
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
"'Who am I?'

I'm under 45 years old, I love the outdoors, I hunt, I am a Republican reformer, I have taken on the Republican Party establishment, I have many children, I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office. Who am I?"

Teddy Roosevelt

toetoe
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Cindy McCain ? :confused:

Tom
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I uh, would uh, I would, uh,sooner have uh, Sara in uh, the WH than that uh, uh, uh, looney-tunes dipstick uh, HUSSEIN.

OTM Al
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
In fairness to Teddy, he also served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy and was the head commissioner of the New York City Police Force, which he reformed greatly. Neither an elected office, but public offices that he did distinguish himself in.

JustRalph
09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
In fairness to Teddy, he also served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy and was the head commissioner of the New York City Police Force, which he reformed greatly. Neither an elected office, but public offices that he did distinguish himself in.

Yeah, and as commisioner of the NY PD he worked for the Mayor.........

OTM Al
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, this is true. The mayor of New York City, about 1.5 million in population at the time. I don't think anyone could properly compare that job with that of a mayor of a town that was only slightly larger in population than the high school I went to. I feel the whole experience thing gets way too overblown, but comparing Mr. Roosevelt's achievements at the time with Mrs. Palin's is not exactly honest. It is not the experience issue about her I object to btw.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Frankly though I feel that the choice of her was a choice of image over substance. Since the candidate was an old white male and he was opposing a much younger man of color, I believe they felt the need to choose somebody that wasn't an old white male. Further, they saw the wavering of many female democrats with Hillary's loss, so the choice of a female candidate was one that could sway over some of these voters.And this selection process by McCain that you just outlined is different from any other VP choice in the past (and present...Biden for instance) exactly how?

The VP choice is more often than not made to shore up whatever perceived deficiencies there are at the top of the ticket. If McCain had chosen some other white male cookie-cutter Republican to fill out his ticket, he would have DOOMED himself immediately.

He balanced out his ticket with a young female, and from the looks of things, made an excellent decision, if we are to believe the polls, and the INCREASED TURNOUTS McCain and Palin are experiencing at their rallies.

You can not deny McCain appears to have made an excellent choice, if the goal is to win the election and bring his policies and beliefs into the White House. That's his goal, and he should do anything in his power to achieve that goal...because...after all, that's EXACTLY what Obama's camp is doing.

And as I said in another post, if all these supposed qualities that Palin lacks (in your opinion) were all that important, there would be rules specifically spelled out in the Constitution that would have prevented her from being legally chosen in the first place.

People have been clamoring for years for someone on the national scene who isn't just "another career politician with everyone in his or her back pocket."

Now that we might have one, we can't trip over ourselves quickly enough to find a way to tear her down...wild stuff....

hcap
09-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Evidently Liebermans' crash course in foreign policy did not cover the so-called "Bush Doctrine". (Oxymorons don't get much better)

'GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN: In what respect, Charlie?

GIBSON: The Bush -- well, what do you -- what do you interpret it to be?

PALIN: His world view.

GIBSON: No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.

PALIN: I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism, terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation. There have been blunders along the way, though. There have been mistakes made. And with new leadership, and that's the beauty of American elections, of course, and democracy, is with new leadership comes opportunity to do things better.

GIBSON: The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us. Do you agree with that?

PALIN: Charlie, if there is legitimate and enough intelligence that tells us that a strike is imminent against American people, we have every right to defend our country. In fact, the president has the obligation, the duty to defend.'

Oops!

hcap
09-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Maybe Gibson should find out how much she knows about foreign policy?

http://www.xena-fanfiction.com/images/old_xena.jpg

About as qualified as Sarah. But better with a sword.
Should appeal to youse guys.

hcap
09-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Oy gevalt!

McCain: The economy is the major challenge.

Q: You have said that the number one issue facing the US, and that is addressing the challenge of our time is Islamist extremism. What credentials does Gov Palin have in National Security, diplomacy, foreign policy that qualified her to be your partner on that issue…

McCain: Well, obviously the economy is a major challenge…

Q: No, I’m using your words Senator….

McCain: I said the greatest challenge of our time is national security threats and I’ve also said jobs and economy is the number one issue facing America so, but the point is that Gov. Palin is right on the issues. She understands energy which is one of the fundamental issues of our security….She was right on Iraq, she was right on Russia….

Q: You say you’re sure she has experience, but again I’m just asking for an example. What experience does she have in the field of national experience.

McCain: Energy. She knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America..
:liar: :cool:

lsbets
09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Are you comfortable posting that pic Hcap? Isn't she a little old for you?

JustRalph
09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
This is why Dems lose. They latch on to things that don't mean a damn thing.

I never thought that the Dems could lose this time around. No way no how. Some way they have figured it out. They are trying their best to give it away again.............. :lol: :lol:

Tom
09-12-2008, 07:49 AM
The VP choice is more often than not made to shore up whatever perceived deficiencies there are at the top of the ticket. If McCain had chosen some other white male cookie-cutter Republican to fill out his ticket, he would have DOOMED himself immediately.

And Obama needed a white guy. Bottom line.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2008, 12:53 AM
About as qualified as Sarah. But better with a sword.
Should appeal to youse guys.My, my....I think hcap is getting nervous.

Don't worry hcap, a huge drop on Wall Street should occur on Monday, which SHOULD be good for Obama...but these days, who knows? The way it's been going for McCain lately, maybe he can spin it in a way that benefits him as well!

NJ Stinks
09-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Don't worry hcap, a huge drop on Wall Street should occur on Monday, which SHOULD be good for Obama...but these days, who knows? The way it's been going for McCain lately, maybe he can spin it in a way that benefits him as well!

Tomorrow is just another in a long line of achievements under Republican leadership in the last 8 years. :ThmbDown:

In 20 years history books will refer to 2000-2008 in America as the Katrina Years. No further explanation will be necessary. :(

JustRalph
09-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Tomorrow is just another in a long line of achievements under Republican leadership in the last 8 years. :ThmbDown:

In 20 years history books will refer to 2000-2008 in America as the Katrina Years. No further explanation will be necessary. :(

Funny I don't remember the 2000 Dot.com collapse being called the Clinton Collapse?

OTM Al
09-15-2008, 12:12 PM
The source isn't the most journalistically reputable, but does tend to be right and prints things others shy away from (Edwards for one). I think a backlash is about to begin. Some of this stuff is not good

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/_palin_family_shockers_what_sarahs_really_hiding/celebrity/65407

toetoe
09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Jeez, Al,

Always respect your thought processes, but I'll stick to Pat (BURP) O'Brien on Asskiss Hollywood for my dose of hardhitting reportage on "notorious incidents." :lol:

OTM Al
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Like I said, these guys aren't what we've been taught as reputable, but unfortunately they've been right more often than wrong lately. Kinda the Jose Canseco school of getting it out there.

toetoe
09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Okay, but just a slight objection. Goes to relevance, Your Honor. :)

OTM Al
09-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Understood and agreed. I'd prefer stuff like that didn't have to be true in anyone's family, but we all know how real such problems are.

JustRalph
09-15-2008, 01:42 PM
The backlash is against he media for pulling all these stunts..............

OTM Al
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Look Ralph, I hope these things aren't true. I wish no family ever had to deal with things like these. I wish that we would all vote on people based on what they do. But in this case that if you have positioned yourself as an "All-American Gal" and are all for family values, this really looks bad. And it is relevant for that reason. What's worse though is that if these kids do have these problems, this sort of spotlight is not going to help them one bit.

This current conservative demonization of the media is a very foolish thing IMO. Everybody knows there is a bend to the left in the media. That's why we need to think for ourselves and judge what is written. However, there are also plenty of conservative outlets out there as well who are putting their spin on as well. Its the press. Always has been that way. However, I would contend that the rag that is the National Enquirer gives less a care what party you belong to than any paper in the country. They just want the dirt and to unearth the skeletons and could care less what team you play for. Just as long as you are famous, you are fair game for them.

JustRalph
09-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Look Ralph, I hope these things aren't true. I wish no family ever had to deal with things like these. I wish that we would all vote on people based on what they do. But in this case that if you have positioned yourself as an "All-American Gal" and are all for family values, this really looks bad. And it is relevant for that reason. What's worse though is that if these kids do have these problems, this sort of spotlight is not going to help them one bit.

This current conservative demonization of the media is a very foolish thing IMO. Everybody knows there is a bend to the left in the media. That's why we need to think for ourselves and judge what is written. However, there are also plenty of conservative outlets out there as well who are putting their spin on as well. Its the press. Always has been that way. However, I would contend that the rag that is the National Enquirer gives less a care what party you belong to than any paper in the country. They just want the dirt and to unearth the skeletons and could care less what team you play for. Just as long as you are famous, you are fair game for them.

The media lost credibility a long time ago. Dan Rather put the nail in the coffin last election............. the Genie is out of the bottle. Done deal. They can't get it back.

riskman
09-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Funny I don't remember the 2000 Dot.com collapse being called the Clinton Collapse?

"collapse" as in wilt. If I remember correctly-- Monica stimulated Bill and Bill stimulated the economy--

hcap
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Are you comfortable posting that pic Hcap? Isn't she a little old for you?Ok, so I like Zena. I think Sarah might have to take a few dinosaur fighting lessons from Zena tho'.

http://progressivealaska.blogspot.com/2008/09/saradise-lost-chapter-sixten-palins.html

"As the ceremony concluded [in 1997], I bumped into her in a hall away from other people. I congratulated her on her victory, and took her aside to ask about her faith. Among other things, she declared that she was a young earth creationist, accepting both that the world was about 6,000-plus years old, and that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time. I asked how she felt about the second coming and the end times. She responded that she fully believed that the signs of Jesus returning soon "during MY lifetime," were obvious. "I can see that, maybe you can't - but it guides me every day."

Munger reports that she later softened her stance to say that she "wasn't necessarily" a young earth creationist anymore, but that her faith in the impending apocalypse remained undiminished."

Or maybe everything was just a mellow existence back then?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_anqVy8b414Q/SM5kYuTg79I/AAAAAAAAAlE/FlURdtXVTns/s320/jesus.dinosaur.jpg

OTM Al
09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
So Ralph, I guess that means that Rush, Bill and Ann have no credibility either since Dan lost it for all of them? They are just as much part of that media strawman as anyone else.

Tom
09-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Rush is not a newsman. He is a talk show host. So are Bill and Ann. They don't pretend to be news people. Rather, on the other hand, was a news anchor.

schweitz
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Rush is not a newsman. He is a talk show host. So are Bill and Ann. They don't pretend to be news people. Rather, on the other hand, was a news anchor.

It's amazing to me how many people are unable to make that very important distinction.

OTM Al
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
They are just as much the media as anyone else. There is nothing special about a wooden head who read the news nightly that make him "the media" and those who run their own shows that make them something else. They are all part of the modern media. Unless of course you simply define the media as anyone who doesn't agree with your own point of view.

Tom
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I break it up between news and commentary.
Your definition includes movies, CD's, books, blogs.......try to narrow it to what should be unbiased and what should not.

OTM Al
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
The thing is though Tom, it has never been unbiased. Besides, being truely unbiased is impossible. Any story must be done through the filter of experience of the teller and the producers. All news reporting always had bias. We all like to think there was some golden age when newsmen put on thier trousers one leg at a time and all they spoke was objective truth, but that just isn't so. I think the difference is that back then we weren't so easily able to fact check and get opposing viewpoints like we can today. That is why I make no distinctions. To me it is all the same and therefore I don't have problems with it because I judge it all the same way and then make my own decisions.

Tom
09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
But Dan Rather filtered the FACTS through his lying fingers on the keyboard.
And I disagree - facts can be reported in an unbiased manner by a true professional. There are very few of them in the news today. None on network TV.

JustRalph
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
It's amazing to me how many people are unable to make that very important distinction.

OTM Al read this post over again...............it means something.

OTM Al
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
We'll disagree on that, but probably not on Rather. Didn't ever care much for him anyway. He wanted to be Cronkite, but no one could be because the times had changed. Personally, I believe the BBC's reporting on the US is about as even as it gets (at least of the news broadcasts I can understand what they are saying). In the US, the borders between news and commentary shows blurred long ago. As soon as ratings started mattering to the evening news broadcasts, it was all over for them trying to hold any line of "unbiased" journalism. It is all commentary now and has been for some time no matter how it was dressed up. Therefore to me, its all the same media.

I understood exactly what that post was saying Ralph. I think this explains my position on why I don't see a real difference.

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Does anyone know why there is this huge RUSH to discredit Palin, yet there was no similar rush to discredit OBAMA at the beginning of his campaign?

Both candidates have quesionable qualifications for the job (Obama MORE SO, in my opinion), both are young, attractive, articulate, married, have children, and yet only Palin (who is running for the LOWLY VP slot) seems to be getting nailed to the cross.

Could some of the wiser members of this forum let me know why this is so?

Where's the photo of Obama with the mirror, razor blade, and powder under his nose? All I see are photos of him with his wife and children, and happy stories of Barack and family on the supermarket checkout lines.

How many of you know that Obama is a smoker who's trying to kick the habit? Even THAT goes unreported....:lol:

Sheeeeeet.......something ain't Kosher.....

hcap
09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know why there is this huge RUSH to discredit Palin, yet there was no similar rush to discredit OBAMA at the beginning of his campaign?

Both candidates have quesionable qualifications for the job (Obama MORE SO, in my opinion), both are young, attractive, articulate, married, have children, and yet only Palin (who is running for the LOWLY VP slot) seems to be getting nailed to the cross.Really? The conservative noise machine has been working overtime to discredit Obama. Rush, Hanity, Billo, Murdoch and Faux news relentlessly. In fact 50% of off topic has been devoted to bashing Obama, and has been for quite a while.
Palin is simply just returns.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2008/sep/15/johnmccain.sarahpalin

For those of you who are confused

I received this email over the weekend from a friendly acquaintance. It should help sort out some questions you may have. The subject heading on the email was "I was confused but now I'm not":

This took some figuring out

If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers -- a quintessential American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track -- you're a maverick.

Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

Attend five different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

If you spend three years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a constitutional law
professor, spend eight years as a state senator representing a district with more than 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

If your total resume is: local weather girl, four years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with fewer than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising two beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner-city community,
then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America's.

If your husband is nicknamed "First Dude," with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now.
Posted by Michael Tomasky Monday September 15 2008 13:22 BST

pandy
09-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Just can't picture Sarah America as the next Maggie - she's just too darn cute. Which is the only thing my father and I have agreed upon in the past 40 years....:jump:

Although I think that Sarah Palin is not a good choice from an experience viewpoint, neither is Obama. The Republicans were forced to make this move because they saw how Obama's celebrity had him on the brink of success, so they looked within their party to see which candidate had celebrity appeal to combat Obama. They found her. Obama was stealing all the headlines, not anymore. From a tactical viewpoint, the choice of Palin was not only brilliant, but perhaps the only way that the McCain ticket could win.

JustRalph
09-24-2008, 10:03 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/24/pakistans-president-tells-palin-she-is-gorgeous/

Pakistan's president tells Palin she is 'gorgeous'
Posted: 06:20 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sarah Palin and the foreign leaders she has met with in New York have said very little to reporters over the last two days, but the press happened to be in the room on Wednesday for one eyebrow-raising exchange, as the new president of Pakistan lavished praise on Palin's looks.

On entering a room filled with several Pakistani officials this afternoon, Palin was immediately greeted by Sherry Rehman, the country's Information Minister.

"And how does one keep looking that good when one is that busy?," Rehman asked, drawing friendly laughter from the room when she complimented Palin.

"Oh, thank you," Palin said.

Pakistan's recently-elected president, Asif Ali Zardari, entered the room seconds later. Palin rose to shake his hand, saying she was “honored” to meet him.

Zardari then called her "gorgeous" and said: "Now I know why the whole of America is crazy about you."

"You are so nice," Palin said, smiling. "Thank you."

A handler from Zardari's entourage then told the two politicians to keep shaking hands for the cameras.

"If he's insisting, I might hug," Zardari said. Palin smiled politely.

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Sounds like the boys from Pakistan don't get out much....

boxcar
09-24-2008, 11:45 PM

It also sounds like they're prime candidates for MA (Misogynists Anonymous).

Boxcar

hcap
09-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Maybe if she climbs to the top of the UN, atands on her tippytoes she'll be able to see Pakistan? Prepared for prime time?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I’m just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I’ll try to find you some and I’ll bring them to you.

.................................................. .......................................

Maybe Sarah won't be asked any more serious stuff? Maybe no VP debate?
Moose hunting any one?

Dana Bash, CNN: I spoke with Senator Lindsey Graham, he is in the McCain campaign, he is negotiation — is trying to negotiate with the Obama campaign and the presidential debate commission. What they are saying, and what he is saying is that they are proposing to instead of having next Thursday the vice presidential debate in St. Louis, to make that the presidential debate and then to delay the VP debate to another time. That is what they are proposing, they understand very well that both the Obama campaign and the debate commission have no intention of delaying Friday’s debate, but both he and a senior advisor that if there is no bailout deal by Friday, McCain has no plan to go to debate.

wes
09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Maybe if she climbs to the top of the UN, atands on her tippytoes she'll be able to see Pakistan? Prepared for prime time?

I took her comment as a JOKE. The whole world did not get it. Palin is still laughing. Most news media and politicians did not get it. Now tell me who are the dumb asses?

wes

OTM Al
09-25-2008, 09:40 AM

All needs be done is to look at the title of this thread to realize they aren't the only ones. I guess McCain's choice of VP candidate has had its desired effect on Pakistan. Too bad for him they can't vote.

Tom
09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe O'Bama should have picked Barney Frank for VP.:eek::lol:

hcap
09-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Another question from Couric

Katie Couric asked how her proximity to Russia gave her foreign policy experience:

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state."

Palin=Perch :rolleyes:

Tom
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
That alone is far more experience than O'Bama has had. You can't count having your brother living in a mud hut as foreign policy experience.
Your whinining would carry more weight ( some weight?) if every time youpost what you think is a stupid example is also far and away more substantive that anything HUSSEIN has ever done.

Do you believe a president should be able to do more than one thing at once?
When will O'Bama do something other than TALK? :lol:
What's he waiting for, a higher pay grade? :lol:

hcap
09-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Kathleen Parker:

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted. Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there.

Kathryn Jean Lopez:

I’m not where my friend Kathleen Parker is — wanting her to step aside to spend more time with her family and Alaska — but that’s not a crazy suggestion.

Ok Ed Schultz has a dog in the race, but reports:

McCain Camp insiders say Palin “clueless”

Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”

rastajenk
09-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I"m sure Ed Schultz has lots of credible McCain camp insiders. :rolleyes:

Tom
09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Ed Schultz is evidence that helmets MUST be worn when playing football! :lol:

Seriously, listen to his show once - the guy is a lightweight.

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
If Palin is as bad as the left claims she is, then it will be so ugly during the debate with Biden, that not even the hardened supporter of McCain could spin it any other way.

I prefer to wait until this week's debate is over to come to any formal conclusion. I'm not going to rely on the media to tell me what is what.

This debate will be an unfiltered look into exactly how Palin can handle herself under fire.

It will most likely be shocking, one way or the other....

pandy
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
If Palin is as bad as the left claims she is, then it will be so ugly during the debate with Biden, that not even the hardened supporter of McCain could spin it any other way.

I prefer to wait until this week's debate is over to come to any formal conclusion. I'm not going to rely on the media to tell me what is what.

This debate will be an unfiltered look into exactly how Palin can handle herself under fire.

It will most likely be shocking, one way or the other....

I agree. Her answer to Couric's question was bad, but Obama has had plenty of similar moments, such as the time he said that he's been to 54 states and has 4 more to go. The media always lets him off easily for these gafs.

Tom
09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Pandy, I doubt the MEDIA knew we don't have 57 states! :lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
09-28-2008, 10:11 PM
she has been demonized so much now, no matter how she does, the media will make her look bad. I don't care how she does, it isn't debating skills etc that I care about.

It is her beliefs and her conservative nature. One on which she has acted on in the past. That is all that counts. Screw the debates..........for any candidate. They are a joke.

RaceBookJoe
09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
she has been demonized so much now, no matter how she does, the media will make her look bad. I don't care how she does, it isn't debating skills etc that I care about.

It is her beliefs and her conservative nature. One on which she has acted on in the past. That is all that counts. Screw the debates..........for any candidate. They are a joke.

Good post, the debates are a joke. No matter what crisis comes up, no president is going to make an instant decision. Honestly, he is going to turn to his cabinet and if he is smart, would have hired the best brains for each area. If I was running, hell I couldnt do much worse , I would be smart enough to find people to answer any question that I couldnt. Kind of like a few people here do with their links. Get the best economist, foreign relations person, military commander etc. rbj

hcap
09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey Sarah cool it on the age jokes. Maybe "debate camp" has been a bust?

And I do look forward to Thursday night and debating Sen. Joe Biden. We’re gonna talk about those new ideas, new energy for America. I’m looking forward to meeting him too. I’ve never met him before, but I’ve been hearing about his Senate speeches since I was in like second grade.

Joe Biden was born on November 20, 1942
John McCain was born on August 29, 1936

Tom
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey hcap, maybe she saw him on TV in 1929, next to FDR, pretenting to be president and explaining the crash! :lol::lol::lol:

Greyfox
09-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Foreign affairs experience - O'Bama = 0

Foreign affairs experiene - McCain = +++

Foreign affairs experience - Biden = ++

Foreign affairs experience - Palin = 0 +

Tom
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I assume you are counting Biden being wrong on just about every issue involving foreign affairs as a plus??????
The lying rat bastard denies he wanted to partition Iraq - I heard him say it live on TV. the lying rat bastard said the surge was a failure and a ploy.

He doesn't even think Obama is qualified to be prez!
fpjAs4vtc1w&feature=related

So how did Obama suddenly get qualified on the campaign trail? :lol:

Palin 0
Biden - - -

I'll take the clean slate.

fast4522
06-11-2021, 11:41 PM
I assume you are counting Biden being wrong on just about every issue involving foreign affairs as a plus??????
The lying rat bastard denies he wanted to partition Iraq - I heard him say it live on TV. the lying rat bastard said the surge was a failure and a ploy.

He doesn't even think Obama is qualified to be prez!
fpjAs4vtc1w&feature=related

So how did Obama suddenly get qualified on the campaign trail? :lol:

Palin 0
Biden - - -

I'll take the clean slate.

So when we fast forward to today your post stands the test of time.

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2021, 12:58 AM
Somebody likes the search button