PDA

View Full Version : California Thoroughbred Tracks' Surface Question

trying2win
09-05-2008, 03:41 AM
I've heard all this talk over the last few years about California tracks converting to synthetic surfaces. In some old articles I read online, it said "all California tracks will be converting to synthetic surfaces". Then I read another article that said "only the major California tracks would have synthetic surfaces". So, which is it? It would be nice to know for handicapping purposes at Fairplex, because I think I'll try my luck at this track starting Fri. Sept. 8/08.

Thanks,

T2W

Bobzilla
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
The CHRB mandated that any track applying for a number of race dates throughout the calendar year that extended beyond some arbitrary figure they came up with would have to convert their main tracks to any variety of All-Weather surface. I apologize as I cannot recall the benchmark number of race dates the CHRB had set. Every year, tracks such as Bay Meadows (now gone); Golden Gate; Santa Anita; Hollywood (soon to be gone) and Del Mar apply for a number of dates which surpass the benchmark figure. The Fairplex, as of now anyway, does not. But the Fairplex will likely be expanding their annual racing operations once Hollywood is cashed in for its commercial real estate worth in a year or two. Apparently synthetic conversion is in the works at the Faiplex.

trying2win
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Bob:

Thanks very much for the helpful information. :ThmbUp:

T2W

freehouse2002
09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
The CHRB mandated that Major Thoroughbred tracks running 4 weeks or more had to convert to synthetics. That is why they spared the fairs and Los Al. As noted, Fairplex is getting plans ready to expand their plant to include a 7 1/2 furlong oval and a 7 furlong turf course if and when HP closes.

freehouse2002

Tom Barrister
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
The CHRB mandated that Major Thoroughbred tracks running 4 weeks or more had to convert to synthetics. That is why they spared the fairs and Los Al. As noted, Fairplex is getting plans ready to expand their plant to include a 7 1/2 furlong oval and a 7 furlong turf course if and when HP closes.

freehouse2002

Can they fit a 7 furlong turf course inside of a 7.5 furlong main course?

plainolebill
09-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Like a bike path, single file.

Can they fit a 7 furlong turf course inside of a 7.5 furlong main course?