PDA

View Full Version : Did Obama ever explain this lie?

dav4463
09-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Obama said he had an Uncle who was one of the liberators of Auschwitz. He said it affected the man so much that when he came home he stayed up in the attic for six months.

It was then learned that Obama never had an Uncle in WWII, and anyway it was the Russian forces who liberated Auschwitz, not the US.

He said a vote for John McCain would be a vote for Bush's 4th term! He doesn't even know how long you can stay in office!

He's been to 57 or so states!

If Bush made mistakes like this, it would be ALL OVER the news, but Obama is untouchable.

NJ Stinks
09-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Dave. Dave.

Relax. You've got to get through another 2 months yet. :)

dav4463
09-05-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm just playing around. I'm on vacation so I get to stay up late and watch the politics on TV! I enjoy it!

Actually, I just wanted to see if anybody heard about this when he said it. It was on the news, but not publicized very much.

Obama just used the wrong name. It was a different concentration camp.

But, if Bush made a mistake like that...he would be called stupid!

NJ Stinks
09-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Ah vacation!:cool:

Enjoy!

equicom
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
It was then learned that Obama never had an Uncle in WWII, and anyway it was the Russian forces who liberated Auschwitz, not the US.

1. Who learned and how?
2. How do you know that Obama doesn't have a Russian uncle, or an uncle who fought for / with the Russians?
3. Many people refer to non-relatives as "uncle", how do you know that is not the case here?
4. Everyone who fought against the Germans, regardless of nationality, played a role in liberating Auschwitz. Just some more directly than others.

He said a vote for John McCain would be a vote for Bush's 4th term! He doesn't even know how long you can stay in office!

It's obvious that what he meant was that McCain will continue to follow the lead established by Bush and that in effect there will be no real change under McCain compared to what you have now.

But it must be pointed out that it was not a very well-planned statement because it assumes that if McCain gets elected now, he'll automatically go on to defeat the next Democrat candiate and will serve a second term.

witchdoctor
09-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Obama said he had an Uncle who was one of the liberators of Auschwitz. He said it affected the man so much that when he came home he stayed up in the attic for six months.

Maybe his uncle was in the Russian army. :)

boxcar
09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe his uncle was in the Russian army. :)

Maybe his "uncle" was the Russian army.

Boxcar

Secretariat
09-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I beleive his uncle was sitting beside Michelle Obama at the DNC, and was introduced and took his bows as a part of being one of the first troops to arrive at Buchenwald.

Maybe this fact check link will help you.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/501/

Final observation:

"Obama's statement was substantially correct in that he had an uncle — albeit a great uncle — who served with troops who helped to liberate the Ohrdruf concentration/work camp and saw, firsthand, the horrors of the Holocaust. We rate the statement Mostly True"

OTM Al
09-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Good site! Will have to remember that one

Shenanigans
09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
1. Who learned and how?
2. How do you know that Obama doesn't have a Russian uncle, or an uncle who fought for / with the Russians?
3. Many people refer to non-relatives as "uncle", how do you know that is not the case here?
4. Everyone who fought against the Germans, regardless of nationality, played a role in liberating Auschwitz. Just some more directly than others.

It's obvious that what he meant was that McCain will continue to follow the lead established by Bush and that in effect there will be no real change under McCain compared to what you have now.

But it must be pointed out that it was not a very well-planned statement because it assumes that if McCain gets elected now, he'll automatically go on to defeat the next Democrat candiate and will serve a second term.

It's amazing how you folks like to try to cover up for this mans lies.
If Obama has a Russian uncle he would have stated that.
You're right about folks referring to non-relatives as relatives. Perhaps Obamas' brother that lives over seas in a shack is just his "brotha"?
Your assumption of what Obama "really" meant about McCain is quite humorous also.:lol:

dav4463
09-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Obama wasn't lying....that time! He just confused the names of the concentration camps. If we ever need to attack anyone and he's in charge, I hope he doesn't confuse names and threaten the wrong country!

equicom
09-06-2008, 04:55 AM
It's amazing how you folks like to try to cover up for this mans lies.

Heh! "Us folks"! :lol:

Heh! "Cover up"! :lol:

Get with the program. Nobody else joined me in this little moment of fun, and I take full credit for it. Nobody else's work but mine. ©

As for covering up his lies, it was no such thing. It was (in my funny old way) pointing out how stupid it is to recycle your spam e-mails on a forum without properly checking the facts. I merely pointed out 4 different ways that it was possible that Obama could have been telling the truth.

With point 4 I was also subtly giving the guy a nudge in the ribs for dissing other veterans (although of course he didn't intend to) who had contributed indirectly to the liberation of Auschwitz merely by weakening Hitler's forces.

Sometimes you guys take my comments way too literally. It's almost as bad as all that bible stuff. You should look up "subtle", "irony", and "satire" in a dictionary.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Sometimes you guys take my comments way too literally.Always leaving yourself an out...you would make a helluva poker player.

equicom
09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Always leaving yourself an out...you would make a helluva poker player.

Nah, that's not the intention. They do take things too literally. Especially Boxcar. I wouldn't mind except it takes so much time to untangle the confusion they create when they quote out of context.

I can never really be sure if that is a feat of engineering on their part, or simply ignorance. Whichever it is, it's annoying.

Something you should have noticed by now, PA, is that I don't take sides. I just look at a situation and give an observation (for probably 99% of the time unbiased). I let you lot get into the emotional squabbles.

Some of these guys actually think they're geniuses, which is quite amusing to anybody with an IQ above room temperature. I won't mention any names. The posers know who they are (and so do many of the rest of us).

Investorater
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
In 1924 Adolf Hitler started writing his book Mein Kampf,which means "My Struggle." Some people ignored the book,and some laughed at it,but for every word in Mein Kampf,125 people died in World War II. Never underestimate the power of words. A judge speaks,and a man is condemned or set free. A physician speaks,and a person has surgery or he goes home from the hospital. A government official speaks.and millions of dollars can be spent or withheld. The power of words-words that can bless or cut..Warren W. Wiersbe-Key Words of the Christian Life..1982