PDA

View Full Version : Palin's Speech

oddsmaven
09-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Not a good speech...the only good stuff was that her praise of mccain was well delivered...i'm sure she's a hit with the right wing but she well could turn off independants & moderates...pretty likely after that mocking, condescending avalanche of snide remarks...for someone seeking high national office, her railing was not the least bit dignified...somehow obama's prior involvement as a community orgainizer is something to be humiliated about while her joining of the pta makes her presidential timber...and the only wonderful people come from small towns like her...just ask her.:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

prospector
09-04-2008, 09:50 AM
you just saw the first woman president last night...:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Tom
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
You may be right.
She at least has rallied the base, and this in itself will be huge in the coming weeks. We might not be able to win with the base alone, but we have no chance without it. Sara delivered.

Greyfox
09-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Not a good speech...the only good stuff was that her praise of mccain was well delivered...i'm sure she's a hit with the right wing but she well could turn off independants & moderates...pretty likely after that mocking, condescending avalanche of snide remarks...for someone seeking high national office, her railing was not the least bit dignified...somehow obama's prior involvement as a community orgainizer is something to be humiliated about while her joining of the pta makes her presidential timber...and the only wonderful people come from small towns like her...just ask her.:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Not a good speech? You gotta be sleep walking.
I'm an Independent.
I've watched both campaigns very closely.
In my opinion, Sarah Palin's speech last night was the best one that I've heard in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, it lacked, as did Obama's, the specifics as to how economics changes will be made. Otherwise, it was a speech that I thought brought new energy, life, and hope to a convention that appeared somewhat listless until last night. Well done Sarah.

boxcar
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

What's the matter? You didn't like the succinct manner in which she was able to sum up NoBama's political and leadership experience in one short sentence?

Her speech was a grand slam home run.

Boxcar
P.S. I also liked the way she slammed the press. I'm beginning to see why she was given the nickname of "barracuda".

HUSKER55
09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with you Greyfox. Palin probably scares a lot of politicians because I think she is more honest than most which is something to keep in mind.

There are a lot of senators, second and third term who were initially elected to stop waste and streamline governemnt if you recall past elections. Feingold is one that comes to mind but he ran into a brick wall. He is not alone. With Palin in office and a chance to fulfill their promises this election might be more interesting than we thought.

Pay attention to who gets elected to the senate next outing.

husker55

DRIVEWAY
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Agree with your assessment about each person's constituency. Obama represents the inner city and Palin represents small town, rural america.

One offers Affirmative Action on steroids and the other offers the revitalization of the Rust Belt.

Maybe one emphasis has run it's course and the other needs addressing.

Tom
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Sara rallied the right and riled the left.
The reactions of the alleged media and Dingy Harry have been priceless!:D

46 must like her - he thinks the only thing that matters is elocution of speech.

RichieP
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
She was awesome!

"What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?? Lipstick"

:lol::lol::lol::ThmbUp:

Sailwolf
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Look at this

http://www.alternet.org/election08/97350/8_more_shocking_revelations_about_sarah_palin/

oddsmaven
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Not a good speech? You gotta be sleep walking.
I'm an Independent.
I've watched both campaigns very closely.
In my opinion, Sarah Palin's speech last night was the best one that I've heard in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, it lacked, as did Obama's, the specifics as to how economics changes will be made. Otherwise, it was a speech that I thought brought new energy, life, and hope to a convention that appeared somewhat listless until last night. Well done Sarah.

I gather you missed Obama's speech if you think that was the best...if she continues to campaign like that, it's bad strategy...it was a fine speech in the eyes of the right wing, but most people are sick of that level of divisiveness...there's a way to torpedo your opponnent with deftness, skill, humility and grace...she seems to lack that..if she was merely firing up the base, ok, but you better hope she can do better than that in the weeks ahead...I would've been more worried if mccain chose romney who might have helped him with swing state michigan if it ends up real tight...I don't think she helps and thrusting her up to that level was not good judgement on mccain's part...i want someone with national experience, who has gone through critical scrunity...it's happened before though - this is like trying to set up geraldine ferraro or dan quayle in line as prez.

Tom
09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
???????

It has been the Angry LEFT who have been launching the personal attacks!
She put them in their place rather nicley, smiling while making them look stupid.

She is doing exactly what will bring the voters out. I say let her debate HUSSEIN.

Greyfox
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I gather you missed Obama's speech if you think that was the best...if she continues to campaign like that, it's bad strategy....

I saw Obama's speech and it was excellent.
Sarah, in terms of reaching the goals of this speech earned higher marks.
Her goal was :1. to introduce herself to the American Public. 2. to shift attention from the Bush administration 3. to demonstrate that she is a credible candidate. 4. to demonstrate that she could perform the guard dog duties of a running vice-mate. She accomplished all four goals and more. Well done.

46zilzal
09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
There is a great movie staring Joseph Cotton, Ethel Barrymore, Loretta Young and Charles Bickford called The Farmer's Daughter.In it, a naive country girl goes to the big city and finds herself working for a political family. One of the insights she discovers, while attending a political rally is that NO MATTER WHAT is said to a partisan crowd already in lock step agreement with the speaker (and this goes for ANY PARTY) is the crowd's approval of ANYTHING the speaker says. She is confused with the babbling that a speaker is going through until the butler (Bickford) explains to her that it doesn't matter what is said, then he stands up in the crowd and yells "Fish for sale" which meets with thunderous applause.

Same thing at every convention: BLANKET ACCEPTANCE NO MATTER THE CONTENT.

Light
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Her speech focused more on attacks than substance. Obama's speech focused more on substance than attacks.Right or wrong, hers may have been more effective than Obama's. I thought Guliani's speech was even more effective and colorful. Democrats need to start giving Republicans a taste of their own crap . Why do Democrats think they have to be the "mature" party and pay the price. Havent they learned yet?

prospector
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
"Obama's speech" and "substance" ??
first time i heard those two words together..

Boris
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
1. McCain = Bush
2. Palin = Newt Gingrich in a dress
3. Preemptive strike on the new Republican Revolution of reforming government.

Only problem is they never beat Bush and they never beat Gingrich. Instant replay expecting different results. Contract With America V2.0 is right around the corner. It would be a risky play, but could possibly save what appears to be complete destruction of Congressional Republicans.

oddsmaven
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I saw Obama's speech and it was excellent.
Sarah, in terms of reaching the goals of this speech earned higher marks.
Her goal was :1. to introduce herself to the American Public. 2. to shift attention from the Bush administration 3. to demonstrate that she is a credible candidate. 4. to demonstrate that she could perform the guard dog duties of a running vice-mate. She accomplished all four goals and more. Well done.

Greyfox, you seem reasonable - she's an interesting pick, I just don't think at this stage she is suitable to be second in line for president...and though she demonstrated toughness and confidence i don't think she is a credible candidate...she's a totally obscure national player who we need to see more of over time...for one, she didn't run for president so she didn't participate in the debates and get a good testing...i don't think being a governor is a stronger qualification than senator as many say...what they have in executive experience is offset by a senator's experience with national issues...your #4 point may be valid if you believe the VP's job is to be the nasty one...i don't see the VP as an undignified office and I'd leave that to other surrogates...she came across as way to strident for my tastes.

Secretariat
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Nothing like fact checks are there?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 11:48 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.

Some examples: (clink on link for some of Palin's falsehoods)

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

…. (loved this one)

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

Tom
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
There is a great movie staring Joseph Cotton, Ethel Barrymore, Loretta Young and Charles Bickford called The Farmer's Daughter.In it, a naive country girl goes to the big city and finds herself working for a political family. One of the insights she discovers, while attending a political rally is that NO MATTER WHAT is said to a partisan crowd already in lock step agreement with the speaker (and this goes for ANY PARTY) is the crowd's approval of ANYTHING the speaker says. She is confused with the babbling that a speaker is going through until the butler (Bickford) explains to her that it doesn't matter what is said, then he stands up in the crowd and yells "Fish for sale" which meets with thunderous applause.

Same thing at every convention: BLANKET ACCEPTANCE NO MATTER THE CONTENT.

From another thread........

there is a reason that remains in the FICTION section of the library.

Tom
09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

When do they do something?

boxcar
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
=oddsmaven..what they have in executive experience is offset by a senator's experience with national issues

So, what don't you list for us all that NoBama accomplished in his 140 days of experience in the Senate? How many votes did he show up for? How many bills did he sponsor or co-sponsor? How many executive-related jobs in the private sector or government positions has he held?

Boxcar

oddsmaven
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
So, what don't you list for us all that NoBama accomplished in his 140 days of experience in the Senate? How many votes did he show up for? How many bills did he sponsor or co-sponsor? How many executive-related jobs in the private sector or government positions has he held?
Boxcar

I'd refer you to open up the link on secretariat's post #19 for his main efforts as senator...of late, he has been somewhat busy running for president and I'm sure his Illinois citizens will hold that against him or just maybe they'll vote heavily for him this Fall. What executive jobs he held in the private sector has about as much relevance as Bush's great work with the Texas Rangers or with his Oil company...and being a war prisoner hardly makes one qualified, but somehow people think so...I will admit he did not put in time serving in the PTA as Gov. Palin has.:cool:

ArlJim78
09-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Boxcar
according to Rudy he had something like 135 "present" votes. does that count as experience?

i also love the attack on his "experience" as a "community organizer". You don't want to know what community organizers do in Chicago. basically it means you help to fix elections for the Chicago machine.

boxcar
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd refer you to open up the link on secretariat's post #19 for his main efforts as senator...of late, he has been somewhat busy running for president and I'm sure his Illinois citizens will hold that against him or just maybe they'll vote heavily for him this Fall. What executive jobs he held in the private sector has about as much relevance as Bush's great work with the Texas Rangers or with his Oil company...and being a war prisoner hardly makes one qualified, but somehow people think so...I will admit he did not put in time serving in the PTA as Gov. Palin has.:cool:

Hey, slick, methinks you've overdosed on the Kool Aid. Post 19 has nothing to do with NoBam's accomplishments or experience. So, I still await your reply with bated breath. I would love to see his resume of distinguished accomplishments. (And, yes, if you want to pad BOH's record, you may include all his present "votes" in the senate.) :rolleyes:

Boxcar

oddsmaven
09-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey, slick, methinks you've overdosed on the Kool Aid. Post 19 has nothing to do with NoBam's accomplishments or experience. So, I still await your reply with bated breath. I would love to see his resume of distinguished accomplishments. (And, yes, if you want to pad BOH's record, you may include all his present "votes" in the senate.) :rolleyes:
Boxcar

yeah, I'm sure he's the only one who has used the "present" tactic...and he did so 129 times during his time in the "state" senate"...out of 4,000 votes mind you...it is done over disputes on rules & procedures as well as to hold off on supporting a measure that needs more work...but it sounds like fun to ridicule so what the heck...if you open the link like i suggested in post #19 (Secretariat's)and read the second item there, you'll see what you're looking for.

ArlJim78
09-04-2008, 03:30 PM
yeah, he's been a titan in the senate, a real trailblazer.

bigmack
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Democrats need to start giving Republicans a taste of their own crap . Why do Democrats think they have to be the "mature" party and pay the price. Havent they learned yet?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard Dean lives in the spirit of light.

HUSKER55
09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
How can Obama have substance when he hasn't done anything? Palin is a GOVENOR and she is RESPONSI"BLE and as far as we know she has never been indicted for anything contrary to the Clintons and Obamas "God Damn Ameriaca" church fiasco of twenty years.

Face it, he is a SLOW LEARNER.

Check the other threads. Would wear a pin of the American Flag, won't even cross his heart when our anthem is played.

Here is one for you. Suppose he has to pledge allegience to our flag. Will he do it or do we destroy our flag and re-write the pledge to laccomodate him.

How does everyone feel about that?

46zilzal
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h7VIY5GfDmjy-A5HsGLuHvA0SHtgD92VKI880

wonatthewire1
09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe, if she gets elected, she'll have a hockey rink built in our town.

I got 40 acres I can sell - I want one of those sweet, tax paid for, deals that went through up in her hometown...

Better get the letter written so we can get that going mid-Jan of next year.

:)

barn32
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
This was a good speech by Palin. She introduced herself to the world. However, the left won't get too excited. I don't see her converting anybody--perhaps even polarizing the left even more.

It's going to take more than a "good speech" to turn things around for the neocons.

They are in deep, deep doo-doo.

barn32
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Here are the betting lines and the conversion table from WSEX. (http://www.wsex.com/)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/660/wsexbettinglinecw5.png

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6306/wsexconversiontablefj1.png

JustRalph
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM

nepotism? You better look that word up Doc......... she was trying to get him canned.......not hired......... :eek: :bang: :lol:

wonatthewire1
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
What did you think of the speech JR?

I was playin' Woodbine and the grass races at Penn - missed it

boxcar
09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
yeah, I'm sure he's the only one who has used the "present" tactic...and he did so 129 times during his time in the "state" senate"...out of 4,000 votes mind you...it is done over disputes on rules & procedures as well as to hold off on supporting a measure that needs more work...but it sounds like fun to ridicule so what the heck...if you open the link like i suggested in post #19 (Secretariat's)and read the second item there, you'll see what you're looking for.

Try this one on for another good reason for all those meaningless "present" votes: It gives him an open license to equivocate. Think about it.

Now, is this what you're talkiing about?

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

So, let's see we have:

1. 130+ present votes in the U.S. senate.
2. He held hands with the Repugs regarding weapons

(So much for his U.S. Senate "accomplishments")

3. In IL, took up some black and criminal causes
(Not at all surprising.)

4. And again in IL, I presume, he co-sponsered ethics reform legislation.

Wow. (But why am I underwhelmed?)

Let me be the first to suggest that another item will be added to this empty suit's extreme light resume:

The First Failed Affirmative Action Experiment for the Presidency.

Boxcar

46zilzal
09-05-2008, 01:11 AM
nepotism? You better look that word up Doc......... she was trying to get him canned.......not hired......... :eek: :bang: :lol:
Did you not read that he was going through a divorce with HER SISTER?

JustRalph
09-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Did you not read that he was going through a divorce with HER SISTER?

It's not nepotism if you are trying to get someone fired.

Main Entry: nep·o·tism
Pronunciation: \ˈne-pə-ˌti-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French népotisme, from Italian nepotismo, from nepote nephew, from Latin nepot-, nepos grandson, nephew — more at nephew
Date: 1670
: favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship

holdem165
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Try this one on for another good reason for all those meaningless "present" votes: It gives him an open license to equivocate. Think about it.

Now, is this what you're talkiing about?

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

So, let's see we have:

1. 130+ present votes in the U.S. senate.
2. He held hands with the Repugs regarding weapons

(So much for his U.S. Senate "accomplishments")

3. In IL, took up some black and criminal causes
(Not at all surprising.)

4. And again in IL, I presume, he co-sponsered ethics reform legislation.

Wow. (But why am I underwhelmed?)

Let me be the first to suggest that another item will be added to this empty suit's extreme light resume:

The First Failed Affirmative Action Experiment for the Presidency.

Boxcar

Sir, there are two words to describe you and your redneck ignorance - and they both start with a capital R - I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. To that note I'm not going to attempt to get through your thick skull because I don't know if that's possible given the content of your previous posts and your obvious disregard for any fact that you don't like.

So then I will attempt some of your brand of unilateral thinking. I can start by totally agreeing with you that Sarah Stalin.... oh excuse me - typo - I mean Palin, can give one hell of a speech and throw one hell of a punch if that's what you want. It appears to me that she is that kind of politician that fervously propogates American divisivness which we all know has been working out so well for the country. She's also supports President Bush's style of foreign policy "ah the hell with diplomacy, let's just bomb em' instead of trying out any sort of intellectual conversation. You, like her must not have held a passport for 42 years either so you haven't had the opportunity to see first hand how this McBush policy has damaged America's standing in the world. It's changed Americas global status from a world democratic superpower, to a world class selfish superbully who thinks that after attacking a country under false pretences you just change the objective of winning and you've done the right thing. Oh and on that "bridge to nowhere" - it's easy to become a harsh critique of a huge mistake after supporting it in the first place. Her foreign policy experience I think was best summarized in something I read recently - she has been hugely successful in staving off those dangerous Russian moose poachers. Yes, Palin is the kind of VP America needs. If she can only be half as effective as Dick Cheney, she's really got it made in the shade.

Please note that I deeply respect Senator McCain for his service and experience and I can't say anything negative about what he's going to do to change this country - because whatever that is is anybody's best guess at this point, however it keeps looking an awful lot like you guessed it, another four years of the same politics. I'd like to say that I wish that the Democratic ticket were flipped around this go around as I think Joe Biden would have been a very impressive commander-in-chief. Even if Obama doesn't meet your qualifications at least we know a bit of what he intends to do, including raising taxes on the rich and lowering them for the middle class which according to their numbers is in the neighborhood of 95%.

equicom
09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
you just saw the first woman president last night...:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Are you expecting her to have a hit put on McCain then?

(I'm pretty sure this is the real reason why Obama didn't do the logical thing and run hillary on the VP side of the card... he didn't want to give here any, uh, incentive).

Greyfox
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Even if Obama doesn't meet your qualifications at least we know a bit of what he intends to do, including raising taxes on the rich and lowering them for the middle class which according to their numbers is in the neighborhood of 95%.

I've got a bridge to nowhere for sale to anyone who believes that Obama will lower the taxes of 95 % of working American families.

rastajenk
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Are you expecting her to have a hit put on McCain then?

Is this supposed to be funny, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way? Or are you really that dense as to not understand the previous assertion?

boxcar
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Is this supposed to be funny, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way? Or are you really that dense as to not understand the previous assertion?

His comedic attempts are as lame as his wanna-be intellectual ones. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

equicom
09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
His comedic attempts are as lame as his wanna-be intellectual ones.

If you had an intellect or a sense of humor, sparring with you would be a heck of a lot more entertaining. You fail. You fail big time.

You've single-handedly proved Cangamble wrong about evolution simply by the fact that your thought-processes don't seem to have evolved beyond those of an amoeba.

Tom
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM

You should be happy with her actions - the trooper was using a TAZER on the 11 year old. Isn't that just horrible, 46? Why,you should be thanking her for standing up against this torture, and on child no less. :eek:

holdem165
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I've got a bridge to nowhere for sale to anyone who believes that Obama will lower the taxes of 95 % of working American families. Well, you racist boneheads have shown your true republican colors just as I expected - when in doubt take everything negative and jab your opponent without any real thought. I think anyone who can read past a Grade 6 level and actually read anything I wrote, would have seen that I don't really feel very excited about Obama either. I said "according to their numbers." True GOP - distort the truth. If you want to debate the issues READ SOMETHING that provides facts and then slash his policies wherever you see fit. I'm not voting for Obama but I do think this nation needs to work on being the United States of America - persons of color included. The truth hurts, and we can see a prime example here with the name calling. Instead of just calling someone a whatever, maybe YOU should post something intellectual and I haven't seen any from you folks yet either. Your responses with the exception of Greyfox have been pedestrain and of a Grade 2 argument level. Must be that good old public education.

Greyfox
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, you racist boneheads have shown your true republican colors just as I expected - when in doubt take everything negative and jab your opponent without any real thought. I think anyone who can read past a Grade 6 level and actually read anything I wrote, would have seen that I don't really feel very excited about Obama either. I said "according to their numbers." True GOP - distort the truth. If you want to debate the issues READ SOMETHING that provides facts and then slash his policies wherever you see fit. I'm not voting for Obama but I do think this nation needs to work on being the United States of America - persons of color included. The truth hurts, and we can see a prime example here with the name calling. Instead of just calling someone a whatever, maybe YOU should post something intellectual and I haven't seen any from you folks yet either. Your responses with the exception of Greyfox have been pedestrain and of a Grade 2 argument level. Must be that good old public education.

Hi holdem165, you seem terribly upset in your post.
First of all thank you for the kind comment about my posts at the bottom.
With two close friends who are black I would hope that the bonehead racist remark wouldn't apply to me.
Having said that, I've re-read the last twenty or so posts in this thread.
Personally, I haven't read any racist remarks in any of the writings.
Could you please be more explicit as to who is being racist here and what they are saying? If I'm missing something here, please point it out.
I would stand against racism as well, but I just don't see it.

ArlJim78
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Instead of just calling someone a whatever, maybe YOU should post something intellectual and I haven't seen any from you folks yet either. Your responses with the exception of Greyfox have been pedestrain and of a Grade 2 argument level.

"Sir, there are two words to describe you and your redneck ignorance and they both start with a capital R - I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. To that note I'm not going to attempt to get through your thick skull "

Is this is what you had in mind when you talk about intellectual responses?

lsbets
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
What is it about elections that brings new loons over to PA OT?

HUSKER55
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
There are no racist boneheads around here. But just to humor you, lets us assume for a second that there is.

Why use race as an issue when the facts will cover the issue nicely?

husker55

:)

Greyfox
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
The Rasmussen Poll today is reporting:

"Perhaps most stunning is the fact that Palin’s favorable ratings are now a point higher than either man at the top of the Presidential tickets this year. As of Friday morning, Obama and McCain are each viewed favorably by 57% of voters. Biden is viewed favorably by 48%.

There is a strong partisan gap when it comes to perceptions of Palin. Eighty-nine percent (89%) of Republicans give her favorable reviews along with 33% of Democrats (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/palin_power_fresh_face_now_more_popular_than_obama _mccain#) and 59% of voters not affiliated with either major party.

She earns positive reviews from 65% of men and 52% of women."
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/palin_power_fresh_face_now_more_popular_than_obama _mccain

46zilzal
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
New movies, Cabbage patch dolls, NEW kid on the block, of course this week she will be on top.

JustRalph
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Holdem is a curious poster. Registers in Jan 08 and never makes a post.

Today he is running through threads calling people racist.

I smell a frequent flyer

eclecticapper
09-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Sarah Palin has Dan Quayle's missing balls.

Tom
09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Holdem is a curious poster. Registers in Jan 08 and never makes a post.

Today he is running through threads calling people racist.

I smell a frequent flyer

Back up handles. For the Frequently banned. :lol:

ArlJim78
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Sarah button seen at the convention "Read My Lipstick"

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Did you not read that he was going through a divorce with HER SISTER?Didn't this guy in question taze his own son (stepson?) That alone should get your blood boiling 46. Even YOU would have fired him....

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
With two close friends who are black I would hope that the bonehead racist remark wouldn't apply to me.Don't sink to his level and attempt to "prove" something that will only ring hollow to most...

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Here's a question:

Are African-Americans who vote for Obama simply because he is black being racist?

Steve 'StatMan'
09-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm more concerned about Obama taxing my boss and other small business owners out of business, and thereby costing myself and many small business employees their jobs.

DRIVEWAY
09-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Here's a question:

Are African-Americans who vote for Obama simply because he is black being racist?

In the politically correct (PC) society, it's racist to have that thought let alone to actually ask the question.

Greyfox
09-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Don't sink to his level and attempt to "prove" something that will only ring hollow to most...

Thank you for the suggestion. My compliments to your ability to stand and withstand the tornado of crapola. There are times one must rise above comments that might otherwise draw one into the drain.
My opinion was and is, and if it rings hollow so be it:

"Personally, I haven't read any racist remarks in any of the writings.
Could you please be more explicit as to who is being racist here and what they are saying? If I'm missing something here, please point it out."

barn32
09-06-2008, 04:24 AM
You gotta just love all the hate.

equicom
09-06-2008, 04:42 AM
Here's a question:

Absolutely. That is as bad as voting for a white person just because they are white, or a woman just because they're a woman.

That last refers to reports that many woman voters may now support Palin because they no longer have a chance to vote for Hillary. I can understand how they might think having a woman in power will help with the advancement of women's causes (as no doubt having Obama in power might be useful to African-Americans) but essentially these guys are more likely to toe the official party line than make any radical sweeping changes to benefit any one particular minority group.

In fact doing so would be very dangerous.

** Edit **

Just should add that it is also of much concern the stated reason by some people that they would vote for Palin, eg. "She's hot"... (would be just as bad as somebody voting for Biden cos they think he's sexy).

Tom
09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
You gotta just love all the hate.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is so deep! I'm getting a button made.
It will replace my old Loath thy Neighbor button.

Tom
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
You know, McCain has been acting 20 years younger since Sara signed on to his team. The Straight Talk Express has been working overtime.....
LU2yt6wOoK0

bigmack
09-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Loath thy Neighbor button.
:D

I've got bumper snickers and T-shirts as well, T.

Best I can do for a neighbor is a nod.

fast4522
09-08-2008, 04:42 PM
People will vote because of many things, in every state this time there will be many that cancel each other out because of single issue voting. I believe Israel will launch in our lifetime, this country will be on the hot seat because we sold them everything. Will it be during the next 4 to 8 years, it sure looks like it. They have no choice but to strike first and very hard. Who would be better as commander and chief? Besides all our other things going on in this country, people will think of this by the time we vote.

Light
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I believe Israel will launch in our lifetime... They have no choice but to strike first and very hard.... Who would be better as commander and chief?

A nuclear strike by Israel would be catastrophic for the entire region due to radioactive fallout of food and water. There would be no winners. This is why an American President need diplomacy,not another idiot.

JustRalph
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
They wouldn't use a nuke unless Iamadinnerjacket was about to use his first.

Light
09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Not true.

riskman
09-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Here's a question:

Obama is a Dem and most African-Americans vote the Dem line.

Obamas nomination is historical. It gives a lot of hope to people who may not have hope - that a black man can make it and be in a position to be president.

fast4522
09-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Color is not a qualification or a disqualification for president, the sum of the mans experience in several areas are what people align with when they vote. Also people they are or have been connected with.

JustRalph
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Obama is a Dem and most African-Americans vote the Dem line.

Obamas nomination is historical. It gives a lot of hope to people who may not have hope - that a black man can make it and be in a position to be president.

Which proves how out of touch the so called black community is.

Obama being considered "Hope" for the black community is a ridiculous notion that is so far fetched and unbelievably naive that it portrays blacks in a terrible light, one which is produced by their own so called leaders and the institutional grip that they allow to be their downfall.

Barack Obama is to the average black person what Bill Gates is to Jed Clampett. They have one thing in common (in this case money) but they sure as hell don't have anything else in common. Too bad for the average black person that Obama and his skin color have nothing at all to do with them or their fortune in life.

Obama is attempting to ride their common trait into the White House on their backs. It won't change anything for blacks. In fact, I feel it will hurt them more in the long run.

In the future when the small businessmen and employers who are writing larger tax checks and their businesses are failing due to confiscatory tax rates pushed through by Obama and his Dem Congress, who do you think gets hurt the most?

Wait until a full term of Congress with the Dems and Obama as Prez plays out and eventually some blacks come to realize what they have wrought, I see Obama being disowned by his so called "brothers and sisters" When he can't live up to the hype of helping them, his star burns out quickly.

equicom
09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Color is not a qualification or a disqualification for president, the sum of the mans experience in several areas are what people align with when they vote. Also people they are or have been connected with.

Sadly this is not necessarily true. I am sure there will be a lot of people who vote for Obama solely based on the color of his skin, and equally sure there will be many people who do not vote for him based on the color of his skin.

fast4522
09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Right, but as I said, these biggots will cancel each other out. The issues facing our day are much greater than any party. What goes up must come down as the case for the economy. Any conflict with that nutcase (Iamadinnerjacket) will result in as much as a 30% reduction of oil from his country. There may be that much under NY city but no one will ever be able to get to it. We have to Drill Drill Drill now, it is quite possible for the bottom of the oil market to drop out and send those oil ministers screaming. The next president would have to have our interest above all others. This is what we should expect from our leaders or would be leaders when they give a speach.