PDA

View Full Version : Baffert's suspension

smf
07-04-2001, 02:45 AM
This is the best explanation of the faulty penalty handed to Baffert I've seen. Regardless of the side you're on it's a good read.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/horse/409917_04westcol.html

My favorite part of this is..........Nautical Look tested positive at a level of 73 nanograms – that's 73 billionths of a gram. The presence was so insignificant, so minute, that the filly's performance could not possibly have been affected. Having tested positive at a level of 73 nanograms, she would have been allowed to fly an airplane if she were a pilot instead of a racehorse.

JimG
07-04-2001, 08:07 AM
smf:

That's a good thing regarding flying a plane. I understand USAIR has been losing money at such a rate, that cockpits are being revamped so retired racehorses can fly them. PETA supports the idea!

Jim

Dave Schwartz
07-04-2001, 08:43 AM
Just curious if anyone knows this:

If a horse ingested a few poppy seeds from (say) a muffin nibbled from a grooms hand, could it result in such a test result?

In other words, was this really a case of "contamination" or is it more likely a result of a prior drug use gone bad?

And, finally, (tongue in cheek) should this horse be forced into a drug treatment program such as Pat Valenzuela? <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
07-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by JimG
smf:

That's a good thing regarding flying a plane. I understand USAIR has been losing money at such a rate, that cockpits are being revamped so retired racehorses can fly them. PETA supports the idea!

Jim

This a natural progression of things-I fly Northwest a lot and they already employ a lot of horse's a$$es.
Tom