PDA

View Full Version : Your "ONE" best track,....why?

LottaKash
09-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Recently there was a thread about your favorite Harness Tracks that you play.....I thought I would expand on this a bit further, or rather reduce it to one-track, that, if you couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to play at all the available tracks, but, at only one track, what would it be.???...

Some of us keep betting records, and some do not, I suppose the ones with the records, regardless of how much you like or don't like a particular track, would, if wanting to be a winner in the long run, make some or most of your best plays at that most profitable track....Of course there are still many players that do not keep such records and just play the track they like the most....Sometimes it may have something to do with the locale, I suspect brand loyalty here...With the advent of ADW's, viewing the races at just about anywhere in the country is a daily reality, and for me, brand loyalty is no longer an issue.....

Bob "Pandy" Pandolpho, once was asked, "what was his favorite track/s to play", and I believe his respnse was something like "the ones that I make the most money at".....And so it goes with me, as when my handicapping had taken somes turns for the better, I began keeping records of my most successful tracks, consequently I found myself gravitating to those tracks more and more....

Being a great respecter of Early Speed and Racing Position, I have found the track that I go to most often for a win, and it is Harrah's Chester.......

Chester is a very unique racetrack in that, being a 5/8's of a mile track, one would think that it would have a nice-enough long stretch, that would allow horses who made a mistake or were at an early dis-advantage, to make up for those deficits.....Not true...the stretch is only 434 ft in length, and off the top of my head, I would say it is the shortest stretch of all harness tracks....I mean Yonkers Raceway, a front-runners paradise, has a stretch of 660 ft.....But, the "Great Equalizer" is the Starter adjustable, staggered starting gate....This unique starting gate, just before the start of the race is manipulated by the starter in the car, to allow for a slanting of the gate that allows the last 4-post positions a more fair start at the beginning of the race.....Racing on a 5/8's mile track has always posed a big problem for horses starting in the outside post-positions as, the start of the race is so near to the first turn, and horses often get hung out badly on that first-turn.....Not so much at Chester, with the advent of the staggered started gate, a well meant front running horse has a great equalizer in this type of gate.....I wish all of the small tracks would adopt this gate, as it would open up the handicapping a bit, and all those chalk horses would be lessened somewhat, giving others in the race a better chance to win.....I mean have you ever watched Human athletes compete at track-running, and don't they use a staggered start in a lot of the races ???.....So why not in harness racing ?

Now Chester, is a very speed favoring track, firstly because of the gate mentioned above, and that the winnigest moves are made just before the 3/8's and just past the 5/8's poles....Also, as with most small tracks, Chester has an inside passing lane in the stretch, and this is also great for early speed horses, as you don't necessarily have to be the leader of the race to win, as you can sit in the 2-hole and often the 3-hole and make a run in that short stretch.....

So, if you have done your handicapping well, and are alert to the quickest horses, as of now, and play the drivers who use this track to their advantage, you have a great shot at winning many races, using horses with good early and attacking speed.....I still marvel at times, at how you can get a good price on a very good horse at this track....This track is tough on closers, and unless the front-enders are victims of their own busted pace, they are at an extreme dis-advantage.....But, when you see a horse that is not an inheritor of a busted pace, and shows a fast-sharp rally in his race, you are looking at, perhaps, next weeks monster....

Early Speed at Chester, there is nothing like it, anywhere .....

best,

LottaKash
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Also, I failed to mention the driver colony is the best of anywhere in the natiion, less the Meadowlands....Drivers, such as Tetrick, Morgan, Goodell, Campbell, Sears, Dube, Gingras, D.Miller, Manzi,G.Napolitano, are always showing up at Chester, to drive here.....What better thing, than to have a Top-Contender to play, and have one of these guys steering him.....?.....even a bunch of lesser knowns but capable, like Andrew McCarthy, and Corey Callahan, as well as some others that I failed to mention as well....

Also, the trainers here are top-caliber as well....Trainers are creatures of habit, and they have their favorite drivers and have their horses race a certain way, when they are cracking down on them, just prior to, and during winning form....When one becomes intimate with their traits and likes, anything is possible....

And on another note, the Judges are very fan friendly, as they explain their findings when there is an objection or inquiry in a race......

Not a handicppaing fact, but interesting all the same, this track is partly built on top of the Delaware river.....A good portion of the backstretch is bulit right over the river, on concrete pilings, and at the pier right next door to the track, you can usually see when they are running the race, river barges and mini-ships, loading and unloading liquid petroleum products, at dockside.....

best,

Zman179
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
For me, the harness track that I've had the most success at is Freehold. Often enough, there are always a good two or three automatic throwouts per race. Plus the "weak" drivers which never go to The Meadowlands or Yonkers, and wind up taking action, have a very low winning percentage. Even though the winning favorite percentage is 46%, I still catch my fair share of bombs at Freehold.

Chester? I can't cash a ticket there. One person's passion is another's poison.

wilderness
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Not a handicppaing fact, but interesting all the same, this track is partly built on top of the Delaware river.....A good portion of the backstretch is bulit right over the river, on concrete pilings, and at the pier right next door to the track, you can usually see when they are running the race, river barges and mini-ships, loading and unloading liquid petroleum products, at dockside.....

best,

They "may" still have on their website some photo's of the construction process of that bridge?

from Aug 2005 Hoof Beats:
For its part, Chester had the shipyard site specified—with state help--as a Keystone Occupancy Zone, which creates substantial tax breaks on a property in an attempt to stir development in depressed areas.

end of quote

The entire area was a shipyard which constucted large ships. One of which was the once famous troop ship made at the end of WW II and utilized later to sail between Detroit and Cleveland.
There's some very interesting photo's and information on active web pages on the "Aquarama", just do a search.

The old Fort Miami Park near Toledo had an "Aquarama Race" in 1949 where a barrage of beauties presented the trophy ;)

The Bit
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
It is the Meadowlands for me for a few reasons ( other than the $$ ). I watch it on a daily basis. If they are running, I'm watching even if I'm not betting. I also DVR the replay show and watch it again. I know the drivers tendencies when they drive at M1. I know that if Ron Pierce or Gingras have a relatively sharp horse from post 9 they are most likely leaving. I keep my own trainer records for the top 60 or so trainers place 10 or 15 I want to follow in an excel spreadsheet.

Lasty and probably least important, my uncle owned, trained and even won some races there, so his insights are somewhat helpful.

LottaKash
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
They "may" still have on their website some photo's of the construction process of that bridge?

from Aug 2005 Hoof Beats:
For its part, Chester had the shipyard site specified—with state help--as a Keystone Occupancy Zone, which creates substantial tax breaks on a property in an attempt to stir development in depressed areas.

end of quote

The entire area was a shipyard which constucted large ships. One of which was the once famous troop ship made at the end of WW II and utilized later to sail between Detroit and Cleveland.
There's some very interesting photo's and information on active web pages on the "Aquarama", just do a sea

The old Fort Miami Park near Toledo had an "Aquarama Race" in 1949 where a barrage of beauties presented the trophy ;)

Hey Don, very interesting, THX.........;)

best,

LottaKash
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
For me, the harness track that I've had the most success at is Freehold.
Chester? I can't cash a ticket there. One person's passion is another's poison.

Hey Zman, this is so true, about the poison thing.....I grew up, in my early handicapping journey, as a regular donor there.....I never quite made it work for me there.....I found it was easier for me elsewhere......I suppose that is why there is so many items listed on the menu.....

best,

Ray2000
09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
The Bit

Good info on Pierce and Gingras thanks,

I'm just curious about the "10 or 15 [trainers] I want to follow in an excel spreadsheet." statement.

Are looking for current hot streaks like some track programs publish (the Who's Hot, Who's Not section)
or are you more interested in the overall trends?

and thanks for the picks, we need more people putting up selections here.

The Bit
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
The Bit

Good info on Pierce and Gingras thanks,

I'm just curious about the "10 or 15 [trainers] I want to follow in an excel spreadsheet." statement.

Are looking for current hot streaks like some track programs publish (the Who's Hot, Who's Not section)
or are you more interested in the overall trends?

and thanks for the picks, we need more people putting up selections here.

Ray,

I've always felt that knowing driver tendencies at the track you are playing is very important so I try to study and make note as to who will leave from an outside post and who won't etc. It is far from a science because we are dealing with human beings and live animals, but some guys are def. more apt to drive out than others.

As far as the spreadsheet, what I meant to say was I keep an Excel spreadsheet logging the top 50 trainers by starts and wins and than 10 or 15 others that I want to follow. I track win % first and second starts off a qualifier. First and second starts with a new horse. First and second starts off of 10+ day layoffs. 1st and 2nd time lasix. 1st and 2nd off claim. And drops and rises in class. I just log the starts out of my stacks of old Harness Eyes or Trackmaster PDF files. Lots of work but very very helpful.

For instance, Erv Miller in his last 53 starts with horses making their first start off a qualifier has won 20 times, or 38%. With horses making their 2nd starts off a layoff, he is 16 for 38, or 42%. He also wins 30% of the time with horses who are layed off more than 10 days, while he only wins at 16% with horses making their 2nd start after a 10+ day layoff.

Ray2000
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
The Bit

"Lots of work but very very helpful",.... indeed it is.

Trainer stats have always been my weakness, and yet they are a big key to handicapping.
When I was a regular at the Meadows, I could follow the locals but now, stuck in a cornfield in Clarion County Pa, all I can use is the program stats.

Thanks for the info, it's a lot to think about.

LottaKash
09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
The Bit

"Lots of work but very very helpful",.... indeed it is.

Trainer stats have always been my weakness, and yet they are a big key to handicapping.
When I was a regular at the Meadows, I could follow the locals but now, stuck in a cornfield in Clarion County Pa, all I can use is the program stats.

Thanks for the info, it's a lot to think about.

Hey Ray, and Bit, and all.....For what it is worth...If you are a subscriber to Trackmaster, they already have a built in Track Stats, and you get this free when you subsribe to their pp's.....I always opt for Simplicity, and when it comes to Trainer, Driver and a Horse's stat......I will use Trackmasters stuff......It is so easy to use and see at a glance what is going on at any and all tracks......

For instance in the Trainers stats, number of WPS's and %- 1st off of Claims, (unfortunately on the first start and not 2-3-4), 1st off detention barn, Age of his horses, Sex of his horses, Gait of his horses- trotter or pacer....

For Drivers, win % for all starts,,,on off tracks, On Favorites, On Longshots, Gait, sex, age

For the Horses, all starts WPS%, on Off Tracks, Off Detention Barn, 1st off layoff.......Age, Sex and Gait

You can use last 30-days, 365 day, this meet, this year, or any range of from one date to another.....age, sex, gait....wow......

I don't know about you folks, but that is a lot of power, so in keeping with simplicity, and being very lazy, I couldn't ask for any more that what is offered here at TM.....maybe 2-3-4 starts showing, but for me I can easily live with that....That is why I don't mind paying the little extra for TM- programs each year, as I an not chained down to that tedious spreadsheet reporting......What a timesaver........

Three Cheers for Track-Stats...!...:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

best,

LottaKash
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I get so giddy when I talk about the Track-Stats.......

ANY, Track, Driver, Trainer, Horse, Sex, Age, Gait, Layoffs and any Range of Dates, covering the entire natiion......Wow, that is so much power of information, and all for the price of admission.....:jump:

If one were to collect all that info on a daily basis, I suspect it would be more than a full time job each day, and I doubt if you could ever find time to sleep...... :sleeping:

HaHa, I use my time for finding more intelligent ways to lose.....:lol:

best,

Ray2000
09-05-2008, 06:20 AM
thanks LK

I didn't know till I rechecked those TrackMaster stats that they also give ROIs for drivers, trainers and horses.

Somebeachsomewhere 20% ROI at Mohawk:) .

Greg Grismore at Yonkers -24% on favorites, but only -3% on longshots (> 9/2)

LottaKash
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
thanks LK

I didn't know till I rechecked those TrackMaster stats that they also give ROIs for drivers, trainers and horses.

Somebeachsomewhere 20% ROI at Mohawk:) .

Greg Grismore at Yonkers -24% on favorites, but only -3% on longshots (> 9/2)

Good Stuff, huh...?......What a time saver, almost anything you'd want at your fingertips....

This must be like Christmas for statistics guys, such as yourself.....

best,