PDA

View Full Version : Can you find Serendip?

DJofSD
08-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Can you find Serendip is this (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/playground/hideseek.html) online game?

Are there any parallels to handicapping?

HUSKER55
08-30-2008, 11:49 AM
But it only took me two tries for each level. Parallels to horse racing is just one, IMHO. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct.

husker55

:)

Tom Barrister
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Parallel to racing: The harder a race is to handicap, the less likely you'll do well by trying to find something. Others may have different views.

Robert Fischer
08-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Can you find Serendip is this (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/playground/hideseek.html) online game?

Are there any parallels to handicapping?

very cool

Overlay
08-30-2008, 04:07 PM
The parallel that I see would be to players that focus their handicapping on one-dimensional factors or angles, and have to keep switching from one to another, or discovering new ones, as the old ones become unprofitable (from a pick-the-winner perspective) through overbetting.

Overlay
08-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Now that I've played the game a little more, I'd say that the parallel to handicapping that it reminds me of are people who stay behind the curve by expecting the repetition of prior results, without asking or considering what past performance patterns indicate about the possible changes that might occur in the future; or who continue to use factors after they've become overbet or have ceased to be accurate indicators of future performance, just because they were profitable at one time in the past.

LottaKash
08-31-2008, 06:16 AM
As no one can correct me if I am wrong, but I fail to see the relationship to serendipity as it relates to my own handicapping today......In more recent times, I have become more adept at interpreting a horse's running lines, as they relate to his speed/pace abilities, and by confirming my opinions of such, by either viewing race replays or using charts, my handicapping has become more than a chance meeting of serendipity....

Tho, I might add that, in earlier handicpping times, serendipity certainly was the norm as opposed to the truth..... Very abstract thinking then, to be sure....haha.....

To some I imagine, serendipity still rules in their handicapping approach, sort of like trying to decipher a Picasso new age painting, very abstract and absent of a true meaning, Serendipitous at best, very subjective, very.....

I guess.......:rolleyes:

best,