PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Withdrawal

rrbauer
08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
I sent the following email to Mike Marten, PIO for the CHRB and asked him to forward it to the appropriate CHRB officials. The CHRB has an opportunity to provide information to the betting public about horses that are still on steroids but will have to discontinue steroid use next week. I feel that information (Horses Names) should be provided to the betting public.

Email text:

Hi Mike,
Would you please forward this to the appropriate CHRB directors, etc.

With the public disclosure that there are still horses in training testing positive for steriods and with the mandated end to the use of steriods in Calif being put into place--next week, I believe. I believe it would be proper to discose the names of the horses that as of the most recent testings are still testing positive for steriod use.

The reason for this is that based on what we're seeing around the country, as horses stop receiving steriods there are performance issues. As a bettor and on behalf of other bettors I can tell you that I have pretty much lost confidence in the integrity of the game as it relates to drugs in racing (including steriods). And, now we have a situation where known steriod users are going to have to discontinue that use. This in turn promises to have some effect on performance over the coming weeks and I think it needs to be disclosed and made public. In my case, a failure on the part of the CHRB to do this will result in my suspending my participation as a bettor in California racing.

Practically every week I read of trainers being reprimanded and purses being redistributed because of horses testing positive for prohitibed drugs. These actions tend to provide financial reparation to the connectins that were "wronged" by a drug-enhanced performance. But, as you know, those of us who bet on the losing horse get nothing for being "wronged". At least with the steriods issue there is an opportunity here for the CHRB to consider the bettors and make a full disclosure of the steriod use.

Thanks for your consideration,

Richard Bauer