PDA

View Full Version : What happens after New Orleans gets wiped again?

JustRalph
08-29-2008, 03:33 AM
John McCain might be the unluckiest guy in the world if Gustav wipes out New Orleans next week..............

Anybody care to speculate on what happens if Gustav hits New Orleans next week?

How about McCain cuts the convention short and flys to New Orleans and tries to look "Presidential"

KMS
08-29-2008, 05:12 AM
If New Orleans gets hit again, It'll be a ghost town. The tourist attractions and port facilities might endure, but little else. There's already a lot of paranoia, and people saying things like "I can't take this any more." The historical precident for this is Indianola, Texas, which during the 19th rivaled Galveston as the leading port on the Texas coast. After two major hurricane strikes in 11 years, it was completely abandoned.

If that happens to NOLA, it doesn't mean that population will entirely abandon Louisiana. A lot of them will just migrate 40-50 miles further inland.. The economic center of gravity in SE La has already moved to the I-10/I-12 corridor between Baton Rouge and Slidell north and west of Lake Pontchartrain. It's one of the hottest growth areas in the country.

It's way too early to talk about a repeat of Katrina, though. Jindal is panicking a bit, and may start ordering evacuations as early as Saturday. But this thing could still go anywhere.

barn32
08-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Can anybody name another American city that is surrounded by water and sits at or below sea level?

Tom
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Somebody text School Bus Ray Nagin and tell him to gas 'em up this time! :lol:

DJofSD
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Can anybody name another American city that is surrounded by water and sits at or below sea level?
No. But OTOH the Dutch seemed to have solved the problem centuries ago. How is it the vast portion of a country can be wrestled away from the sea but NO seems to doomed to another disaster?

KMS
08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
NYC is not below sea level, but parts of it are nearly so, and because of the geography of LI Sound would be extremely vulnerable. A direct hit by a major storm would be as bad or worse than what happened to NOLA. Ths subway system would flood for one thing. A cat 4-5 coming ashore on any coastal city would not be pretty. Cities on the gulf and Florida have some experience with dealing with it, but it can happen as far north as Canada--a hurricane killed 4000 people in Newfoundland in the 1700's. And if you think what happened in NOLA was bad, wait til it happens to a northern city that's totally unprepared.

JustRalph
08-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Michael Moore calls for New Orleans to get nailed again for political purposes

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/29/michael-moore-this-hurricane-is-proof-that-there-is-a-god-in-heaven/

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Michael Moore calls for New Orleans to get nailed again for political purposes

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/29/michael-moore-this-hurricane-is-proof-that-there-is-a-god-in-heaven/What a disgusting ass this man is. If this video isn't proof of the hypocrisy of the ultra far-left, nothing else is....

The man is virtually WISHING a HURRICANE to hit the US so that the Republicans might look bad? Holy shit! Oh, but he covers himself by saying "I hope nobody gets killed...." WHAT? Is this clown out of his mind?

I hope everyone posts this video to as many places as they can, with the caption that this is video proof that Michael Moore is indeed nothing but a giant sack of shit with bad hair and a self-hating smile.

KMS
08-30-2008, 04:04 AM
No. But OTOH the Dutch seemed to have solved the problem centuries ago. How is it the vast portion of a country can be wrestled away from the sea but NO seems to doomed to another disaster?

Holland is much, much smaller than the US, and the sea is its #1 natural threat. It's easy to accomplish something when you make it the top national priority.

Tom
08-30-2008, 11:13 AM
The difference is that Holland IS the nation. NO is a city, not the nation.
NO is far more of a liability than an asset. If the LOCALS can't manage their city, they should move. I resent my tax dollars being wasted there. Very few people need NO to exist at all. I have no use for it.

DJofSD
08-30-2008, 11:24 AM
NO is far more of a liability than an asset. If the LOCALS can't manage their city, they should move. I resent my tax dollars being wasted there. Very few people need NO to exist at all. I have no use for it.
Gee whiz Tom, after reading that I wonder if NO wouldn't be better off if we sold it to Mexico.

Greyfox
08-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Holland doesn't sit in a Hurricane corridor.

Tom
08-30-2008, 12:26 PM
All the more reason to kiss NO goodbye and be done with it. Unless the local want to foot the bills. Let chocolate town fund itself.

equicom
08-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Is it just my imagination, or does Mike Moore look like one of Jim Henson's creations in PA's video? Surely somebody else must have noticed he's a muppet by now?

I noticed in the text it indicates that what he said may have been in retaliation for what Dobson said about praying for rain during Obama's speech (but still extremely bad taste in any case). I would guess he didn't plan to say that in advance and now regrets it. Definitely hurt his own cause.

Then again, I suspect he's actually a republican in disguise.

DJofSD
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Holland doesn't sit in a Hurricane corridor.The storms that come in from the North Sea are nothing to sneeze at. 200 MPH winds - no, but high tides and storm surges just the same.

Greyfox
08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
The storms that come in from the North Sea are nothing to sneeze at. 200 MPH winds - no, but high tides and storm surges just the same.

a-a-a-aaaaaAAAAAAChooooo.

prospector
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
no more money! let nature reclaim its own...

robert99
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
The storms that come in from the North Sea are nothing to sneeze at. 200 MPH winds - no, but high tides and storm surges just the same.

1953 storm surges killed over 2500 in Holland, UK, Belgium etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953.
London now protected by Thames Barrier.

Isn't the point that the money to protect NO has already been paid but the design built was never up to the job? NO are employing some Dutch experts at the moment.

pktruckdriver
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Poor Brad and Angelina, all the money they put into re-building that city.

I actual re-building I would say 1/100th was accomplished thru their efforts.

I think that they thought they could buy cheap, re-build a little bit and re-sale for a fortune, Now Gutsav may screw that up.

Chances aren't too great Gustav will just die in the gulf, huh.

The main question is how many oil well's will be destroyed by this storm?

Chocalate town, nice one Tom. :lol: :lol:

But in reality I believe the afro-americans did not return in the numbers that left, but the Mexican's did, maybe we should sell it to Mexico.

Tom
08-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Patrick, not mine - that was Ray Nagin - HE said the city would be rebuild and look chocolate. Who am I to argue with this racist, incompetant PIG and idiot????

JustRalph
08-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I just heard on the radio that Gustav is approaching Cat 5 Status............this is going to be bad..........wherever it hits............

might as well start searching for those posts about "why the hell are we rebuilding it" they just might be applicable in a few days :lol:

equicom
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Holland doesn't sit in a Hurricane corridor.

This was a good point. Also that the Dutch had the sense to recognize the potential for danger and built defenses against it.

Ummm.... and the person who asked about a place in America that is below sea level and surrounded by water, I don't know of any (but there are probably many).

But Sanford in Manitoba (Canada) is way below sea level and is close to a lake. I think Winnipeg might also qualify, but not sure if it is below sea level (since Manitoba is mostly flat, it's probably all at-or-below sea level in the east of the province). For a flood to wipe out the city, they'd need some massive inflow of water, maybe due to an excessive snowfall melting into the Assiniboia all at once? Very unlikely.

I just tried to find out some info to go with this post, and discovered that all the tornados in Manitoba have occurred near to where the most human population is... spooky! Maybe God hates Canadians but likes moose and bears?

Anyhow, I also just found out that they have indeed had floods there, but usually caused by beavers, not snow. So beavers mean trouble, people!

barn32
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Sacramento is the city I was referring to.

canleakid
08-30-2008, 07:35 PM
NO NEED TO PANIC NEW ORLEANS, IF YOU GET SLAMMED, BUSH HAS A GAME PLAN, MICHAEL BROWN TO THE RESCUE "BROWNIE YOU ARE DOING A HECK OF A JOB" :liar: :liar: :liar:

KMS
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM

I've been reading your posts for a while, and have concluded that you're basically an $$$hole. I feel sorry for your family, if you have one.

toetoe
08-30-2008, 08:35 PM
PMS,

Whoa, DUDE ! :eek: . Settle down there and don't waste stomach lining trying to save Tom's family. Too Tomultuous for words.

KMS
08-30-2008, 09:05 PM
PMS,

Whoa, DUDE ! :eek: . Settle down there and don't waste stomach lining trying to save Tom's family. Too Tomultuous for words.

Yeah, well, right now the main drag through my town is bumper to bumper with people fleeing for their lives. So when somebody gives a big FU to my people, I call it like I see it. Don't like it, ban me. I don't really give a damn at this point..

prospector
08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
i heard today there are 7000 trailers still in NO...i hope they move them...what the hell are they still there for?

JustRalph
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, well, right now the main drag through my town is bumper to bumper with people fleeing for their lives. So when somebody gives a big FU to my people, I call it like I see it. Don't like it, ban me. I don't really give a damn at this point..

you weren't around for the post Katrina Debate. If you take it in context of that, you would have crapped yourself by now. Many of us were much more rough on the government and the whiners from Katrina. You missed the good stuff. Blaming Bush etc, got old really fast around here. Just providing you a little context.

By the way "my people" is a pretty interesting statement. Why would you call them that?

KMS
08-30-2008, 09:59 PM
By "my people" I mean the people of the state my family has lived in for the last 185 years. If you're obliquely fishing for an answer to whether I'm black and/or playing the race card, the answer is no to both. I'm white, most of the people evacuating in this direction are white and not even from the New Orleans area. All of Louisiana soutn of I 10 is under evacuation, and by the middle of this week half the state will likely be without electricity for an extended period of time. So yeah, I'm sensitive when halfwits like this Tom mouth off with their usual jackassery. He's not the only one here, he's just the one who apparently has no life and spends most of his waking hours on this board. It's clear that many of you don't like us; okay, message received loud and clear.. We don't like you, either. When oil prices spike, you're paying $5 a gallon for gas and can't pay you're heating oil bill this winter, don't expect any sympathy. But you won't complain, since there's nothing in NO or the gulf coast that you need.

I'm outta here, what little useful racing information is on this board isn't worth wading through the assholery.

JustRalph
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
By "my people" I mean the people of the state my family has lived in for the last 185 years. If you're obliquely fishing for an answer to whether I'm black and/or playing the race card, the answer is no to both. I'm white, most of the people evacuating in this direction are white and not even from the New Orleans area. All of Louisiana soutn of I 10 is under evacuation, and by the middle of this week half the state will likely be without electricity for an extended period of time. So yeah, I'm sensitive when halfwits like this Tom mouth off with their usual jackassery. He's not the only one here, he's just the one who apparently has no life and spends most of his waking hours on this board. It's clear that many of you don't like us; okay, message received loud and clear.. We don't like you, either. When oil prices spike, you're paying $5 a gallon for gas and can't pay you're heating oil bill this winter, don't expect any sympathy. But you won't complain, since there's nothing in NO or the gulf coast that you need.

I'm outta here, what little useful racing information is on this board isn't worth wading through the assholery.

The question on "my people" was wondering whether you were an official, as in Government or local Police-Fire etc? I noticed you didn't say you were leaving. This made me wonder if you were staying because you had to.

I wasn't fishing for your race. If I want to know that, I will ask.

You can pop off about Tom or whomever you perceive as an asshole......I find it churlish.....and unbecoming of you..........but you can squawk all you want..........you have a right to an opine.........but calling people assholes is not nice. Good luck in the storm.

I see Mr. Nagin the leader of Chocolate Town has issued a commandment:

"You need to be scared," Nagin said of the Category 4 hurricane tearing along Cuba's western coast. "You need to be concerned, and you need to get your butts moving out of New Orleans right now. This is the storm of the century."

The city's west bank is to evacuate at 8 a.m.

Nagin said the city had evacuated roughly 10,000 people Saturday on buses, trains and planes. Buses from collection points would continue running until midnight and resume at 6 a.m. Sunday, he said.

"This storm is so powerful and growing more powerful every day," Nagin said. "I'm not sure we've seen anything like this."

Too bad it is 3 years and one week too late.............

Tom
08-31-2008, 12:22 AM
185 years, and your people still rely on others to support them?
Can't take care of your own levees? Need us northerners to pull your bacon out again, huh?

I see my tax dollars never made it to your schools.

You have a shot this time - your governor is not a sniveling democrat like before.

:kiss:MA

BetHorses!
08-31-2008, 12:26 AM
New Orleans is a great city but it is highly vulnerable to storms like Gustav. New Orleans is located at the bottom of a bowl, much of it below sea level. Nature wants to fill up this bowl with sea water. This hurricane is capable of bringing a storm surge to the city that will overwhelm the levees.

A Category 4 hurricane traveling NW in the Gulf is capable of carrying a 13-15 foot high storm tide. NNW-moving storms bring the highest surge to this region of coast and if it hits at high tide, adjust upwards by 2 feet. In addition the storm will stall after moving onshore and bring heavy rains for 2-3 days.

This has the potential to make Katrina look like nothing

Hank
08-31-2008, 01:25 AM

I'm outta here, what little useful racing information is on this board isn't worth wading through the assholery .

KMS you have a way with words:ThmbUp: spot on. Fellow americans hit with the worst natual disaster in the history of the US and these pitiful creatures trivialize and politize and whine like lil bitches about there tax dollors.Pathetic to say the least.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2008, 04:24 AM
NO NEED TO PANIC NEW ORLEANS, IF YOU GET SLAMMED, BUSH HAS A GAME PLAN, MICHAEL BROWN TO THE RESCUE "BROWNIE YOU ARE DOING A HECK OF A JOB" :liar: :liar: :liar:Boring.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2008, 04:28 AM
KMS you have a way with words:ThmbUp: spot on. Fellow americans hit with the worst natual disaster in the history of the US and these pitiful creatures trivialize and politize and whine like lil bitches about there tax dollors.Pathetic to say the least.Like Michael Moore?

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2008, 04:57 AM
I've been reading your posts for a while, and have concluded that you're basically an $$$hole. I feel sorry for your family, if you have one.Boring.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm outta here, what little useful racing information is on this board isn't worth wading through the assholery.The beauty of it is you never even have to look at off-topic. It's a completely separate board. Horse racing and off topic don't mix. In fact, you can even get NEW POSTS and EXCLUDE off-topic. Simply click on the Quick Links option in the green menu bar at the top of every forum screen and select New Posts (Exclude Off-Topic).

You're welcome.

JustRalph
08-31-2008, 05:26 AM
KMS you have a way with words:ThmbUp: spot on. Fellow americans hit with the worst natual disaster in the history of the US and these pitiful creatures trivialize and politize and whine like lil bitches about there tax dollors.Pathetic to say the least.

Hank, I don't know how much you paid in taxes last year? But with what my household paid, I have every right to bitch and moan for as long as I can.

It's punitive and provides a dis-incentive when it comes to success.

If there is ever one thing that every person in the country can bitch about, it's high taxes and government waste. Some of us are pissed that we can be paying again to rebuild etc just 3 years later. But our bullshit government will once again pour money into the area again. And we have no say whatsoever. I hope people howl like crazy if it gets hit again.

equicom
08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
It's really funny how it is the same guys who cheer for the government and support it "no matter what", are also the guys who bitch about paying too much tax.

(Didn't you read prez senior's lips?)

Tom
08-31-2008, 10:44 AM
What's even funnier is fer-in-ers who think they know squat about this country. you would make a democrat.....I mean that. :rolleyes:

equicom
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM
And what's even funnier than that is Americans who arrogantly assume that foreign people would not know anything about America. In fact, I would venture a guess that there are probably many foreigners who know more about America than you do.

DJofSD
08-31-2008, 11:54 AM
And what's even funnier than that is Americans who arrogantly assume that foreign people would not know anything about America. In fact, I would venture a guess that there are probably many foreigners who know more about America than you do.
And that's important because...?

Or, IOW, so what?

equicom
08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, if you look at my post to which Tom was replying, you will see that I actually was pointing out an ironic situation, and therefore humorous.

Tom then decided he'd insult me personally and foreigners in general with his typical arrogant view that he and his ilk are superior to all others who are not like him.

But there was nothing actually humorous in Tom's comment. He said it was "even funnier" but in reality it wasn't. It was just lame, which is odd because sometimes he actually does manage to be funny.

Tom
08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Many do not agree with you.
Sj-QhTveT0Q

DJofSD
08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Many do not agree with you.
Sj-QhTveT0QWhere's Walter Lantz when you need him?

canleakid
08-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Boring.
ROY FIRESTONE IS ABOUT TO BREAK THE NEWS :lol: :lol: :D :D :lol:

Tom
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Where's Walter Lantz when you need him?

tuhRhFyu-Bs

DJofSD
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
tuhRhFyu-Bs
Thanks, Tom -- I think. Only seeing 30 seconds worth is kind of like kissing your sibling.

canleakid
08-31-2008, 03:36 PM
ALL JOKES ASIDE, WE HAVE OUR SHELTERS OPEN, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT NEED THEM, MOST OF OUR HOTELS AND MOTELS ARE BOOKED SOILD. JUST GOT BACK FROM THE TRACK, SAW A LOT OF CARS COMING IN FROM THE EAST, WELCOME TO AUSTIN, TX. ALSO JUST A SAW A COMPUTER TRACK OF HARD HEARTED HANNA LOOKS LIKE SHE MIGHT JUST FOLLOW GUSTAV, HOPE NOT. MAYBE SHE WILL GO EAST.

equicom
08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Tom, what on earth made you think we'd want to see a video of your family gathering? If you didn't drink so much of that 'shine, you wouldn't make these kind of errors.

HUSKER55
09-01-2008, 12:26 AM
With all the disasters that have hit new orleans it seems to me the biggest problem is the city is below sea level and those levys are not stable anymore.

Wouldn't prudence dictate move the City north, say 20 miles, so you are above sea level, do more to solve the problem than anything else. Rebuilding the city twice in 3 years makes the project look cheap to me.

Of course, I am not familiar with that part of the country, so I hope I didn't offend anybody.

husker55

:)