PDA

View Full Version : PACE SELECTOR VERSION 1

VINBATT
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Sometime in 1991 I purchased the above program which loads a race file and gives the velocity numbers (ie..feet per second). In the interim I had work done on my computer and I cannot access the page where I am able to select my own running lines. This page used to be accessible with the letter L. Does anyone own this program or one that is similar? Thank you. Vincent

KyRacer
08-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Vin,

I believe I know the program that you're looking for. A while back I was going through some papers and came across some information about the program from TSN (Thoroughbred Sports Network). I had an account with them back then and had the program, but didn't use it that much. It disappeared in a computer crash.

Pacesel was TSN's version of Bris's Aodds and looked similar. The last time I looked TSN still sold the files for the program, but doesn't offer the program for download. It was free back then. Well, thanks to the web.archive's Wayback Machine some things never die. From 1997, for your viewing pleasure, I present Pace Selector 1. Even though the program was given away free, I'm not the owner, so I'll just provided a link to the past and you can download it yourself. It worked for me. You'll want the Win95 file (PS32v10.exe). There's a sample file that you can download from TSN to test it. This is a dos program. Most of the program will run in windows dos console. But when you goto the L screen to select your paceline, you need to run the program in fullscreen mode or the fonts look wrong. I'll try to attach a small screenshot. Enjoy!

PaceSelector1 (http://web.archive.org/web/19981201230132/www.tsnhorse.com/HTML/pace.html)

TSN (http://www.tsnhorse.com/)

VINBATT
08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Found the file this morning. Thanks for all your help.

Vincent

llegend39
04-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Which file from Brisnet do you use? I use to get them from TSN Thnx

Tom
04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Don't hold me to this, but if I remember I used have to rename the file from *.drf to *.eg, or whatever the TSN file was, then it worked.

llegend39
04-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Don't hold me to this, but if I remember I used have to rename the file from *.drf to *.eg, or whatever the TSN file was, then it worked.

Thnx I tried that it didnt work the suffix is.JTH I changed to that and no luck

fast4522
04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Bris files are just CSV files with Bris file extensions. The Aodds program looked for a check sum besides the file extension to identify it to product and "HATFILES" $2 versus $1. It is all about the money as it always is, you might try changing a "HATFILE" instead of the Bris Single file. It might work or it might not.

llegend39
04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Bris files are just CSV files with Bris file extensions. The Aodds program looked for a check sum besides the file extension to identify it to product and "HATFILES" $2 versus $1. It is all about the money as it always is, you might try changing a "HATFILE" instead of the Bris Single file. It might work or it might not.

Just tried no luck eihter and no one at BRisnet reads emails

Jingle
04-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Was able to download the program but like llegend39 was unable to get any file to open in the program including Hat, JTH, DRF, MCP. Looks like the program is obsolete.

llegend39
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
heard back from Brisnet-those files are no longer available

KyRacer
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
One thing that intrigued me about the program was the drf type speed rating and variant. TSN didn't provide the drf speed rating and track variant in their programs as far as I know, but in this program they appear where they normally are found.

In the pacesel manual this note appears:

<IMPORTANT NOTE> Do not compare the JTH files with the Daily
Racing Form, because they are different files with different formats.
PACE SELECTOR constructs it's own Speed Ratings, Variants, and convert
the times so they appear identical to the Daily Racing Form format.

Pace Selector constructed it's own speed rating and variant. I wondered where the variant came from and how they did that. Did they abstract the variant from the TSN Speed rating and adjust it to look like a drf variant? That would be a nice thing to know how to do. Wish Bris would just provided a separate Bris variant in their files.

Any Sartin people know the story behind this program? A nice program whose has come to pass.