PDA

View Full Version : Curlin: Newb question

SquirtleSquirt
08-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm wondering why Curlin' is running as a four-year-old? To my knowledge, he's not a gelding, but I am unsure. I find that a major flaw in the sport is the instant retirement of any speedy graded stakes winner after the 3 year old seaon, and Curlin' certainly fits that bill. Does anyone know what is keeping him out of the breeding barn and still racing as a 4 YO?

eastie
08-26-2008, 09:50 AM
it's good for the sport to have horses like that keep running as a 4 year old

SquirtleSquirt
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree, as I said; I believe a big flaw of the sport is the disappearance of all the stars after the 3YO seasons. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what is keeping Curlin' on the track, since the lure of the breeding shed is so powerful.

SquirtleSquirt
08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Clarification: I want him running, not breeding. I believe this sport lacks for "household" champions because they disappear after the 3 YO season. I love the Curlin' is still running.

ghostyapper
08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
I am no breeding expert but I heard his dam side was not that spectacular so he would not demand a high initial stud fee.

And I'm sure the whole mess with the ownership played a part of him running this year as well.

cj
08-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Clarification: I want him running, not breeding. I believe this sport lacks for "household" champions because they disappear after the 3 YO season. I love the Curlin' is still running.

I believe a lot of it had to do with the lawsuit against some of his owners in a completely non-horse racing related case. Things were still up in the air when the decision to send him to stud would have been made. They actually still might be, I can't remember.

SquirtleSquirt
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I believe a lot of it had to do with the lawsuit against some of his owners in a completely non-horse racing related case. Things were still up in the air when the decision to send him to stud would have been made. They actually still might be, I can't remember.

Ah, that makes sense. I had forgotten about that episode. Thank you.

46zilzal
08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
His sire is to be inducted into the Canadian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame this Thursday. He beat out some very good ones on his first ballot appearance.

Investorater
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
CURLIN:ThmbUp:is a Great horse,as I noted after His Preakness Win:)granting that he did pretty well before then.

csperberg
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Curlin is running at 4 because his majority owner Jess Jackson isn't an owner who is playing with scared money bottom line. This guy knows this sport needs superstars, he knows the breeding has to change and he knows he is just the kind of guy who can get it done.

You know there is still a chance Curlin will return as a 5 year old.

"Still, Jackson said there remains a good chance Curlin isn’t in his last year of racing—and if he returns next year at age 5, attempts at a turf championship is possible. However, for a top stallion prospect like Curlin to keep racing, potential purses for older horses must go up, Jackson said."
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-curlin-woodward&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here is a link to a video of Jess Jackson going down to Argentina to purchase some race horses. I thought it was a good video and after listening to it I believe Jess Jackson will indeed help turn around the soundness issues of our Thoroughbreds. Really this guy as an owner is top notch in my book.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=fb9bc531-2c32-4591-a256-26a7c0d907cb
That's just my 2 cents about it.

joanied
08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Curlin is running at 4 because his majority owner Jess Jackson isn't an owner who is playing with scared money bottom line. This guy knows this sport needs superstars, he knows the breeding has to change and he knows he is just the kind of guy who can get it done.

"Still, Jackson said there remains a good chance Curlin isn’t in his last year of racing—and if he returns next year at age 5, attempts at a turf championship is possible. However, for a top stallion prospect like Curlin to keep racing, potential purses for older horses must go up, Jackson said."

Here is a link to a video of Jess Jackson going down to Argentina to purchase some race horses. I thought it was a good video and after listening to it I believe Jess Jackson will indeed help turn around the soundness issues of our Thoroughbreds. Really this guy as an owner is top notch in my book.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=fb9bc531-2c32-4591-a256-26a7c0d907cb

Thanks for posting those links... I also beleive Jess Jackson can become a savior for the industry...and I hope he continues to do all the great things he's doing now...we need about 25 others just like him. The man is one of the best things in racing/breeding going.

As to Curlin's continuing to race, possibly as a 5 year old (I hope!!)...and his future career as a stallion, ghostzapper mentioned his dam's side is weak...you are correct about that...I took a quik peek and Curlin's bottom side does lack any solid credentials (may be why they didn't pay much for Curlin, his original sale price being about $52,000). She is a Deputy Minister, and has Bates Motel (a decent broodmare sire) by Sir Ivor... his dam hasn't produced much, she did loose a Medalio d Oro foal, she has a St Liam yearling and is back in foal to Smart Strike.
But, considering his race record and the top of his pedigree, I think when he is sent to the shed, they can ask a pretty good stud fee... and the mare owners will fill his book.

SquirtleSquirt
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Superb. Thank you.

joanied
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know yet who's entered in the Woodward?

ghostyapper
08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Also expected for the Woodward are Belmont Park’s Grade 1 Metropolitan Handicap winner Divine Park, Grade 2 winner A.P. Arrow, and recent Saratoga winners Past the Point and Wanderin Boy. Merchant Marine, a rough-trip sixth in the Grade 1 Whitney earlier this meet, is also a possibility.

joanied
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Also expected for the Woodward are Belmont Park’s Grade 1 Metropolitan Handicap winner Divine Park, Grade 2 winner A.P. Arrow, and recent Saratoga winners Past the Point and Wanderin Boy. Merchant Marine, a rough-trip sixth in the Grade 1 Whitney earlier this meet, is also a possibility.

Thanks ghostyapper....

IMO...a pretty sub par bunch....nice horses, but nothing special...Curlin will kick ass in this, but he won't be beating much. I beleive Merchant Marine is an Allen Jerkins horse...maybe one of his upsets there?....naaaaaaah...Curlin is in a pretty easy spot...in fact, maybe the weakest field for the Woodward in a long time.
(not to get into a BB thing here...but, everyone is going to say BB's turf race in Sept. will be against no one...but I wonder if anyone will admit that Curlin isn't running against much either?)

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I believe the minority-interest ownership in Curlin is still very much a mess, which is one of the reasons (if not THE reason) why Jess Jackson is saying he may run again at five. If the judicial process doesn't speed up, who knows how long Curlin may keep running!

The value of Curlin is tied to these lawsuits and legal proceedings against his minority owners, correct? That's why retiring him to stud and setting up breeding rights would be such a mess at the moment.

joanied
08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Speaking of breeding rights...have you all seen the ads in the BH magazine for Big Brown??
Now that the ads are running...he sure won't be for very much longer.