PDA

View Full Version : Simply SIEGEL

JustRalph
08-26-2008, 05:20 AM
I was clearing up the DVR and caught "Simply Siegel" with Jeff Siegel on HRTV. He did an interview with the head Vet for CHRB.

Some of the comments made by the Vet surprised me a little. He alluded to the fact that they have come to understand that Steroids are providing much more benefit to some horses than previously thought. At least I kind of got that feeling, reading between the lines so to speak. He also talked about trainers (Sadler) who had decided to just continue using Steroids even though the State had basically tried to imply nicely that they should stop.

The real surprise, to me anyway, was how he also mentioned horses going through withdrawal after Steroids are stopped. It made me think real hard about Big Brown and the Belmont. I guess maybe I failed to read between the lines well enough during the Triple Crown run. But after listening to this vet I am thinking that Big Brown will never be the same as he was during the build up to the KY Derby and Preakness. I just didn't think it made the horse that much better. Apparently I was wrong. In fact, now I believe that even though I know other horses in the Triple Crown races were using Steroids, Big Brown is much more degraded in my eyes now. I feel for the horse, but have to wonder how different he would have been without the Steroids.

The CHRB vet seemed rather perturbed that Sadler had not taken the hint that other trainers had. In a related note, Sadler's barn is now getting into fights with other barns...............over the steroid issue.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/delmarraces/20080825-9999-1s25dmnotes.html

JustRalph
08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
anybody else catch this interview? Comments?

john del riccio
08-26-2008, 06:37 AM
anybody else catch this interview? Comments?

ralph,

steroids do much more than build muscle. i am not vet but i do know that they have an inherant ability to reduce inflamation. this enables horses that are arthritic to perform much better. same thing goes for humans. just like most everything in life, everything in moderation. those who abuse this stuff make it bad for everyone.

anyone remeber how juan sureys horses used to look walking into the AQU paddock ? he used to inject their scrotoms with steroids & other testosterone
enhancements.

it was scarey to look in their eyes, they were possessed....

john

ryesteve
08-26-2008, 07:39 AM
He alluded to the fact that they have come to understand that Steroids are providing much more benefit to some horses than previously thought.I'm surprised he's surprised. Look at what steroids did for baseball...

lamboguy
08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
john you are 100% correct in this case. the filly that i have in penn. national was asolid allowance horse before i stopped with her. i stopped the winstrol because of the steroid rules changes in pennsylvania and deleware. she went down to the bottom and has had nothing but seconds running at the bottom.. i x-rayed her joints and found plenty of athritis in them. we treated her with hca, and i would say she will never move up in tag.

Niko
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised he's surprised. Look at what steroids did for baseball...

Look what it does for weightlifters and bodybuilders, especially when used with other "supplements" like insulin etc.....

I did laugh when people said taking horses off of steroids wouldn't affect them, who are they kidding???