PDA

View Full Version : Vet Info

bigmack
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Any hope that this might make its way into PP's, or in the least, readily available, industry wide, anytime soon?

Tom
08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, Mac, but you are tooooo funny.
This industry hasn't been able to figure out ow to show you the post parade
without the lead pony in the way.

But seriously, the vets are revenue stream to the insiders. No way they will do this because it hurts cheaters and helps bettors. Who do you suppose the game would rather protect?

46zilzal
08-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Being at the gate for two years, I have a tremendous amount of respect for our vets: they have been very open in their explanations of suspected and/or possible pathology and have let me sit in on some of their necropsy photo sessions from post-mortems the Department of Agriculture requires of each animal put down. Thankfully, we have both a thorough and conservative vet at the gate who will scratch an animal who gives them the slightest suggestion of being un-sound. I have to give credit to several of the top riders too, who also pick up problems with their gait on warm ups, and bring the animal to her attention.

I tell everyone at our track to watch the warm ups, and if they see an animal on the far turn cantering back and forth near the gate, AWAY from the others, those are the ones being given a last minuted check to see if they "warmed up" out of soreness.

Like most extraneous information, I am sure, knowing their business would be yet another subjective, and uninformed variable introduced into the grandstanders arsenal to confuse the issue.

We do not see the amount of work they do pre-race in evaluations before they come to the paddock, the "book" they keep on many of the "chronically sore", the bad actors, etc. Sadly too, much gets past them, COVERED by all the unnecessary pharmacology introduced clandestinely by their unscrupulous counterparts.

proximity
08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
unscrupulous counterparts.

i think that is who bigmack is talking about..... not some girl checking horses at the gate. you know.....the people who REALLY train the horses.

46zilzal
08-26-2008, 01:04 AM
i think that is who bigmack is talking about..... not some girl checking horses at the gate. you know.....the people who REALLY train the horses.
TWO out of three of OUR vets are female. Real degrees and can say things like bog spavin, check ligament, splint bone or coffin bones too!

proximity
08-26-2008, 01:37 AM
TWO out of three of OUR vets are female. Real degrees and can say things like bog spavin, check ligament, splint bone or coffin bones too!

ok, not some guy at the gate with a real degree and good pronunciation.... but rather those unscrupulous counterparts, as you called them,...........

big frank
08-27-2008, 12:17 AM
i think that is who bigmack is talking about..... not some girl checking horses at the gate. you know.....the people who REALLY train the horses. 100 % right on,,,,,,,,,,