PDA

View Full Version : Chucky Manuel

skate
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Manager of the year, NL east.

He's is undeniable, the boss, the supporting frame for a team with SOME very good players, but without an average line of starting pitchers, he still wins.

Great bullpen, which he manages with the presence of a surgeon.;)

Valuist
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
He's got the last 2 MVPs and a strong candidate this year in Utley. I don't see it at all . Look at the Marlins payroll compared to the Phillies. They've gotten more out of less talent.

But while I'm no LaRussa fan, considering the vastly lowered expectations this year, I think LaRussa has done as good a job as anyone. They don't have close to the talent of the Cubs or even the Brewers yet they've played solidly all season.

Bubbles
08-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Just because the Marlins don't pay a lot for players doesn't mean they aren't talented. Their infield is probably going to be the first in history to have all four guys hit 25 or more homers, if they haven't done so already. That organization has quietly built a foundation for years to come.

For manager of the year, my vote goes to LaRussa. With an average lineup, and a depleted pitching staff, he's still motivated his ballclub to play hard every day.

Valuist
08-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Just because the Marlins don't pay a lot for players doesn't mean they aren't talented. Their infield is probably going to be the first in history to have all four guys hit 25 or more homers, if they haven't done so already. That organization has quietly built a foundation for years to come.

For manager of the year, my vote goes to LaRussa. With an average lineup, and a depleted pitching staff, he's still motivated his ballclub to play hard every day.

THe Marlins do have some talented players but the payroll is a good indicator of expectations and the expectations before the season weren't real high for the them (or the Cardinals). Manager of the year usually goes to a guy who can get his team to overperform.

skate
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Well ok, i can see both points, that is, both of both of your points.;)

A vote getter is not only doing something with less, but getting someplace counts also. C M just might win this Penant. And i doubt that his Payroll is very high. The lineup is not a solid hitting club on average, yet they score, not only score, but they come back from being down.

Last nite they were down 0-7, came back top win, they do that a lot.

against the Dodgers they win while LA had 13 hits and ZERO runs, i've not seen that before, 13 hits and zero runs.

Sure, they have 3 or 4 very good players and a great bull pen, but they are on top of "the little things that count", that's how they seem to win.

skate
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Sure do have a lot of "Something" on that team.

Line up is really not strong, outside of three or four guys, you gotta give a nodule to Manuel.:cool:

The pen 'is' great, which they just built, this year.

rrbauer
09-14-2008, 05:12 PM
It's only taken Charlie 4 years to start acting like a manager. This past week he has actually been managing. Up to now, the only thing he should get credit for is making out the lineup card and making trips to the mound.

Last two days I see a squeeze play to get an insurance run. First one this year and I don't recall one last year for that matter.

Today, with the score tied 3-3 in the 8th and a runner on first he has Utley move the runner over with a sac bunt. First one this year (other than pitchers Charlie never has anyone bunt) and it was successful. Good things happen when you move base runners (check out Mike Scoscia's record). Howard walked intentionally (by a leftie no less which I thought was dumb). The leftie stays in to pitch (even dumber) to Burrell (single RBI), Victorino turns around and bats right (dinger 3-RBI), Feliz (single). Leftie leaves with a 7-3 deficit. Credit CM or do bad on Yost?

I'm a big Phillies fan. Seen all of their games (except when I'm on racetrack road trips) the last 2 years and seen many of their spring-training games and it's only recently that I've seen anything out of CM that approaches being a manager. I give him credit for that. If I see more I'll give him more credit. But MOY? :lol:

njcurveball
09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
it's only recently that I've seen anything out of CM that approaches being a manager.

Charlie called. He was crying sooooo hard that he finally is getting your approval! He does understand that while other teams go out and make deadline deals and get guys like Manny Ramirez and CC Sabathia, he is blessed to have a GM who can acquire such a talent as Joe Blanton to push his team over the top!

He will finish this year with his fourth straight season winning 85+ games with a team that always has one flat tire and one leaking air. Anyone that can even approach a playoff birth with a 45 year old "ace" (and he LEADS the teams the wins!) deserves Manager of the Year!

If they would have got a Sabathia or a Manny instead of a Blanton, the division race would be over now and the Mets would be making plans to get another Manager for next year.

Imagine Manny batting between Howard and Utley! SCARY!

The "Rodney Dangerfield" of Managing. This guy has never had a team like the Yankees and yet has finished 1st twice, 2nd three times, and 3rd in the last 6 years of doing his job.

rrbauer
09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
You're the best slerveball at making up scenarios, putting words in other peoples' mouths and doing everything you can think of to win arguments.

Hell man, you win...no way I can compete with your crap.

njcurveball
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
You're the best slerveball .

thanks MAN! I feel the love everytime I come here. ;)

skate
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
gees rrb...

i was thinking just that, when you went off on 3 or 4 negatory plays to define C M. Look at the year, look at the payscale, look at the so-so quality of players.

A little broader vision, look over the 'CM' years vs ALL other years, i doubt any manager comes close to Charlie , as far as the phillies team goes.

He does 'IT' with the local media on his back. Do you follow the local media?

njcurveball
10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
. If I see more I'll give him more credit. But MOY? :lol:

I hope you have seen enough by now. One more win, you will be buried under his sea of critics celebrating. :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
There is only one Manager holding the World Series trophy tonight. And his name is Charlie Manuel.. :ThmbUp:

Congrats Charlie, despite all your critics, you were the BEST Manager in baseball this year! :ThmbUp:

headhawg
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Manuel is the World Series Manager of the Year but I will take what Joe Maddon did with that Rays team any day. IMO, Maddon was the best manager in baseball this year.