PDA

View Full Version : Racing returns to Raton, NM

Wickel
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Raton, New Mexico, home of the old La Mesa Park, was awarded the sixth and final horse racing license in the state today. Probably will begin racing in 2010. Sad day for New Mexicans. With the move of The Downs at Albuquerque to Moriarty soon, that leaves the Albuquerque-Santa Fe corridor sans racing. I better stop here; I'm so upset I might say something stupid.

www.santafenewmexican.com/news/nm-racing-commissioners-ok-license-for-track-in-raton (http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/nm-racing-commissioners-ok-license-for-track-in-raton)

toetoe
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I've bet on my share of ratones.

Do they still have the track at Las Cruces (Tres Cruces ? :confused: ) that I drove past in ... ahem ... 1977 ?

KMS
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Racing at nearly 7000 feet above sea level. Plug that factor into your databases.:eek: I got snowed on in July in Raton once.

boomman
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Raton, New Mexico, home of the old La Mesa Park, was awarded the sixth and final horse racing license in the state today. Probably will begin racing in 2010. Sad day for New Mexicans. With the move of The Downs at Albuquerque to Moriarty soon, that leaves the Albuquerque-Santa Fe corridor sans racing. I better stop here; I'm so upset I might say something stupid.

www.santafenewmexican.com/news/nm-racing-commissioners-ok-license-for-track-in-raton (http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/nm-racing-commissioners-ok-license-for-track-in-raton)

wickel: Although I feel bad for you because you're a true racing fan and lost out on getting horse racing in your own backyard, from everything I've read it just looked to me that Raton wanted this the worst of the remaining candidates....

Boomer

ALostTexan
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
wickel: Although I feel bad for you because you're a true racing fan and lost out on getting horse racing in your own backyard, from everything I've read it just looked to me that Raton wanted this the worst of the remaining candidates....

Boomer

True, but I was assured that Raton would get the license a while back. All politics in this decision...

socantra
08-26-2008, 01:55 AM
All politics in this decision...
Politics involved in the decision of a government agency or commission? Shocking.

usafsso
08-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I've bet on my share of ratones.

Do they still have the track at Las Cruces (Tres Cruces ? :confused: ) that I drove past in ... ahem ... 1977 ?

Yes, Sunland Park.