PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna ride in the 1st?

BombsAway Bob
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
TVG just showed Jockey Matt Garcia being led out of the Del Mar Paddock Area in Handcuffs!!!! Nevermind,Joy Scott now up

whyhorseofcourse
08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
TVG just showed Jockey Matt Garcia being led out of the Del Mar Paddock Area in Handcuffs!!!! Nevermind,Joy Scott now up

I seen that too, I wonder what happened.

sandpit
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Can you imagine the look on trainer Robert D. Wingfield's face when it happened??? :eek: What a way to lose your jockey.

I remember at CD several years ago when Aborigonal Apex (sp?) was running in the Firecracker and they couldn't find his jockey Tracy Hebert anywhere...turns out he made a stop in the bathroom on the way to the paddock.

eastie
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
maybe he got it for impersonating a jockey :blush:

JustRalph
08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I just watched it on the DVR. Todd Schrupp acted like he never heard of a Jockey getting arrested before........... :lol:

Frank Lyons and Simon Bray were both hiding under the desk trying to decide how they were going to split a green card.............

tundral
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
:jump: justralph that was good:jump:

Tom Barrister
08-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Garcia was arrested for his role in an alleged domestic violence case.

Garcia Arrested (http://www.northcountytimes.com/articles/2008/08/22/news/coastal/del_mar/ze58bf9eb811a7123882574ae00033897.txt)

Apparently, they were going to let Garcia ride his one mount and then arrest him afterwards. They changed their mind, fearing that he might flee after the race ended.

One of the other jockeys in the race noted: "They could have let him ride the race. If he wanted to get away, he would have to do it on foot. At the end of the race, his horse (last place finisher Jacob's Mark) was moving about as fast as a barrel rolling uphill."

saevena
08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Many years ago at what was then called Keystone Race Track (now Philadelphia Park), I believe jockey Lonnie Ray was taken off a horse after he was in the starting gate. He was suspected of having a buzzer; the incident basically ended his career.

jognlope
08-23-2008, 02:12 PM
DEL MAR: Jockey arrested before race

By North County Times | Friday, August 22, 2008 7:05 PM PDT ∞

DEL MAR ---- A 38-year-old jockey was arrested by sheriff's deputies while still in his racing silks Friday afternoon at the Del Mar Racetrack, Sgt. Roy Castaneda said.

The man, Matthew Garcia, was wanted by police in Monrovia for his alleged role in a recent domestic violence incident, Castaneda said. Details of the incident haven't been made public. Monrovia police were unavailable for comment Friday.

Joe Harper, president of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, said track security and sheriff's deputies were made aware of Garcia's status by Monrovia authorities. They had agreed to let Garcia ride his one scheduled race Friday afternoon then arrest him after it, he said.

But deputies decided to make the arrest before Garcia's race when they saw him come out of the paddock and feared he may flee after his race, Harper said. The jockey was allowed to change into civilian clothes before being taken to the Encinitas Sheriff's Substation for questioning, he said.

"You don't like to see this on (the track's television station) and in the middle of the paddock," Harper said, "but the deputies followed protocol."

No further information was available.

rrbauer
08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Garcia was arrested for his role in an alleged domestic violence case.

Garcia Arrested (http://www.northcountytimes.com/articles/2008/08/22/news/coastal/del_mar/ze58bf9eb811a7123882574ae00033897.txt)

Apparently, they were going to let Garcia ride his one mount and then arrest him afterwards. They changed their mind, fearing that he might flee after the race ended.

I can see it now. Race horse becomes jumper, goes over the outer fence at the 7/8 pole and heads for the San Diego freeway.

Marshall Bennett
08-23-2008, 04:31 PM
I can see it now. Race horse becomes jumper, goes over the outer fence at the 7/8 pole and heads for the San Diego freeway.
... or crosses the wire and heads right out the gate . :p