PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia and incompetence

46zilzal
08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
A nasty combination.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/22/pilot.watch.list/index.html

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2008, 02:09 AM
So far, it seems to have stopped anymore events that lead to the mass murder of American citizens on US soil.

You complained BushCo didn't do enough prior to 9/11 and that infamous memo "Osama determined to attack US....."

Now you complain he's doing too much and by this post, you are advocating we go back to our non-proactive stance prior to 9/11.

I suppose if we do roll back all of these proactive programs and revert back to a pre 9/11 defensive posture, you will once again criticize Bush (or whomever is in office) for not doing enough when the US mainland is struck again.

JustRalph
08-24-2008, 03:20 PM
There is probably more to the story, the government never tells us everything........... probably some link in her family to terror somewhere

but if there is nothing else............. maybe he needs a new wife :lol: and the Government is giving him a hint........ :lol:

equicom
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
So far, it seems to have stopped anymore events that lead to the mass murder of American citizens on US soil.

This statement endorses complacency. It's what the terrorists are waiting for, you know? For you to all go back to sleep.

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
This statement endorses complacency. It's what the terrorists are waiting for, you know? For you to all go back to sleep.No it doesn't. I can easily say it's been the proactive (and ONGOING) decisions of the current administration that has prevented any further attacks, despite all the rhetoric from folks such as yourself that the enemies of America are more determined than ever (thanks to our actions in Iraq) to strike back hard at the USA.

You can't have it both ways.

Cangamble
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Just like the bombing of Hiroshima prevented anything escalating in the Cold War.
Islam needed their butts kicked into the 21st Century. If it wasn't Iraq, it would have been Syria, Iran, or Saudi Arabia by now.
But Iraq was the best candidate.
Sure other factors came into affect, but when historians look back at this war 100 or 200 years, they will note it jump started Islamic countries to become more like Western countries as far as values and goals go.

equicom
08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
You can't have it both ways.

And indeed I'm not trying to. I think the money being spent on that war is a terrible waste, and you only have to look at what is happening right there at home to understand the enormity of the error. I very much doubt that it will ever pay off, and if you're hoping the new governors of Iraq will be nice friendly puppets, I will hasten to point out that it has never worked.

Virtually every "dictator" in living memory, with only a few minor exceptions, was put into power through American support. This is not a dig at America, just a point that your puppets never do exactly what is expected of them.

A bit like our government liberating East Timor from Indonesia with the expectation of hogging 80% of their oil reserves. After liberation, they didn't front up with the oil. Tsk tsk.

It would be better to spend that money on beefing up security at home, providing a better education to Americans, providing health benefits and other things like aged care and disability support, etc. These could all have been achieved for a tiny fraction of what has been spent on the war.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2008, 01:37 AM
If you think the point of Iraq was to set up a US-friendly puppet gov't, you're missing more than 90% of the intent, at least in my opinion.

JustRalph
08-30-2008, 03:25 AM
And indeed I'm not trying to. I think the money being spent on that war is a terrible waste, and you only have to look at what is happening right there at home to understand the enormity of the error.

that is one way to look at it. Unless you are one of thousands of Iraqi citizens and their children who celebrated the purple finger, who no longer fear being tossed in a wood chipper or gassed by a madman.

I see the next Generation of Iraqi's thinking kindly of the United States. It could pay off, only time will tell.