PDA

View Full Version : 19-Year-old Owner/Trainer Busted in Ohio

BombsAway Bob
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Samuel J. Brown has been suspended for one year & fined $1,000 by Thistledown Stews for having in his possestion two bottles of injectables, needles & syringes, a jugging tube, & other goodies on Monday.
Brown came to Ohio from Mountaineer Park... -(Chuck Scarvavilli,DRF)
My question is, "Who was his tutor in training @ The Mountain?"
I don't think he started this himself... who should we be wary of in W.Virginia :eek:

JBmadera
08-21-2008, 02:07 PM
were the drugs for the horses or himself? I know, I'm not very funny but how the HECK does a 19 yr old get a trainers lic?

JB

Imriledup
08-21-2008, 02:33 PM
You should have to be at least 25 to get a license to be a trainer and have at least 5 years experience as a top assistant...how can someone this young know enough about horse racing to manage and train a racing stable?

mannyberrios
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I guess that he spent all of life in the track.

takeout
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I thought “shakes” came in pill form now. ??

Wonder whose name(s) he’ll run under for the next year?

As long as “suspended” trainers are allowed to run under other names, suspensions are a complete farce. Frankly I don’t see the point of trying to clean up any of the drug mess in racing until that ridiculous loophole is closed.

Turfday
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Looking at the turfday.com database, trainer Samuel J. Brown has a lifetime record of 7/59 at an average win mutuel of $30 on those seven winners.

He probably cashed a few good tickets.

takeout
08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
He probably cashed a few good tickets.

And, if he has been busted before, he may have cashed a few more that weren't in his name. I'm following a couple of trainers that have been suspended for the last couple of months that have won about 20 races between the two of them since their suspensions started. Business as usual, just with different names going into the stats.

Buddha
08-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Do you have a link to the thread article?

Nevermind. Found it. http://www.drf.com/news/article/97451.html

Tom Barrister
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
My question is, "Who was his tutor in training @ The Mountain?"

Hard to say. There are so many to choose from.

Shenanigans
08-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Mountaineer is the easiest place to acquire a license - trainer or jockey. You don't have to know anything about training or riding, you just have to "know someone".
The stupid kid got away with his "goodies" at the Mt. because everyone plays that game there (some are better than others) and the Mt. would be empty if they cracked down on drug violaters. The Big T in Cleveland never liked cheating "outsiders" coming in so they had the stupid kid in their sights as soon as he stepped foot on their grounds.