PDA

View Full Version : Western Pride gets a little pub with sale topper

JustRalph
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Western Pride gets a little pub with a sale topper. Too bad it was only 100k. I loved Western Pride as a race horse and made a nice bit betting him. I am looking forward to watching his offspring run. Gotta cheer for the underdog. The stud fee being only $2500 this one did pretty damn well, although I don't know a thing about breeding etc........that may be chicken feed for profit......?

http://auctions.bloodhorse.com/article/46666.htm

From the article:
Woods, as agent, purchased the session’s highest-priced horse, a $100,000 filly from the first crop of grade II winner Western Pride. The flashy chestnut yearling is the first foal out of the 9-year-old Chimes Band mare So Much More, who captured the 2004 Treasure Chest Stakes at Delta Downs and earned $381,516. So Much More’s efforts also included third-place finishes in the 2006 First Lady Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park and the 2003 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) at Ellis Park and Turfway Breeders’ Cup Stakes (gr. III).

“She’s a beautiful filly with a very strong dam’s side,” Woods said. “The stallion is probably not getting a lot of respect right now, but he was a really good racehorse, a tough horse. She looked a bit like him. It was a bit of a stretch, but what are you going to do?”

Woods said he bought the filly for a client who “likes to fly under the radar.” She will be offered at sale of 2-year-olds in training next year.

A lot of the pinhookers and other buyers were on her; she’s just an awesome filly,” said Bill Bazzell, the general manager of Signature Stallions. “You couldn’t find fault with her, and she presented herself very well. She’s always been nice; she was a standout as a foal. Her sire is probably the best value in Florida. He won three Derbys (the Ohio, gr. II, Calder, gr. III, and West Virginia Derbys); he was a winner as a 2-year-old; and he earned nearly $1.3 million. You get a lot for your $2,500.”

While the filly’s $100,000 price was something to celebrate, Bazzell said he found the market at OBS to be “real spotty. The good horses sell well, but a lot of other really nice horses are, unfortunately, getting overlooked. There are quite a few nice individuals left here even though they may not have a catalog page that is all that fancy.”

~more at the link~

GlenninOhio
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
This was an impressive amount for this filly to bring given the weak state of the market that's carried into this particular sale.

$100K would have been a solid price on the first day when they sold the "select" yearlings. On day 2 it was even more eye opening, especially from a new sire with a $2.5K fee.

They made some serious money on this filly, but she had better be able to do a 10 second eighth for the pinhooker to make money off her!

The dam seems to be of very high quality, and I find it interesting that they chose to breed her at the $2,500 level for her first foal.

witchdoctor
08-20-2008, 03:37 PM
As much as I like Western Pride, that mating would scare me to death. Some experts claim that the inbreeding to Raise a Native particularlly thru Mr Prospector increases your risk of break down. This filly is inbredd to Mr Prospector 4x4x5. That is a recipe for disaster from the breeding books I have read. We will wait and see.